are you a yuppie hunter?

I have been thinking of trying to take my wife's Sabb Wagon hunting this year on longer trips due to it getting 2 - 3 times better milage then my pick up, would that make me a Yuppie hunter? :p

Of does just having a Saab in the family do that? :D

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hunshatt

• bosco mctavitch

• mshowman

Although I shoot a sxs, I can't be a yuppie hunter because I drink cheap beer (not the latest microbrew) and drive an american vehicle.

Uhhhhhhh, wrong again, flinch boy.... You drink suck beer cause thats all carpetbagger buys(cause his reading skills are lacking and Bud's got almost to many letters for him) You drive a American car, only when your wife lends it to you... You have a palatial estate on a lake, with a dock and a boat. You have a "summer" place in the grouse capital of Nh. Lets not for get the smoking hot trophy wife as well as the 2.3 kids, the designer bird dogs, the internet gun sales your always doing , the 24 hour a weeks you put in a work(but get paid for 50, and 24 might be generous), oh I forgot , the president of the William Harden RGS chapter,yeaaaaaaaa your a yuppie

Yuppies are where you find them

Part One

By Burdened Spitter

Glen knew we were close. I wasn't so sure. Until Glen held up the empty soy sauce packet and waved it under my nose where the smell of wasabi hit me like an overhand right. Then I, too, knew we were not far behind our quarry.

"Belly tuna, I bet," said Glen, searching the floor for more evidence that our elusive yuppie had been here recently. "I imagine he's eating pure sashimi by now."

It had been a long day of lurking quietly in Starbuck's coffee bars, Volvo dealers and Ralph Lauren stores. We'd stumbled across this sushi bar by accident, having noticed the new BMW 328i first, parked across the street. We almost walked away from the car, thinking perhaps it was a MILF of some ilk, stopping by the Whole Foods store on her way home from the gym. But I saw the squash racquet in the small back seat, saw the size 11 Bruno Magli loafers and knew this was no hungry MILF. This was a yuppie, our yuppie, and the faint hint of a primordial urge to gather and hunt tingled deep in my soul.

We'd lucked into the sushi place, tipped off by a college kid, wearing a scarf around his neck, his well-worn copy of "Bonfire of the Vanities" giving him away. He told us where to look, out of fear, I suppose, but still had the audacity to recommend an extra dry saki as we walked away. We should have taken the college kid then and there, but Glen always says we must pass on a lot of young ones before the trophy will materialize.

I'd wanted to don my Choate sweatshirt, knowing full well I could hardly pull off the ruse for long. The Choate trick had worked before, allowing me close enough to a yuppie that I could smell the osetra caviar on his breath. I had taken that yuppie swiftly, pocketing all of his gold cards in one fell swoop. But the Choate shirt was risky - for once I was in striking distance most yuppies could see the hatred in my eyes, sense the violence in my persona and they would vanish into the night, afraid and alert. It was hard for me to pretend to be a Choate alum.

So we entered together, passing briefly as a gay couple in that part of town. Glen's hand on the small of back giving an added boost to our scheme. We looked for our yuppie near the bar, pretending to look for a friend we were supposed to meet there. We gave the place a long once over before sitting, and that's when Glenn picked up the disposed soy packet.

And that's when the yuppie walked out of the men's room.

Although I shoot a sxs, I can't be a yuppie hunter because I drink cheap beer (not the latest microbrew) and drive an american vehicle.

So what you are saying is that if you drank Corona and drove a Toyota you'd be a yuppie.....interesting......

Lemme see:

1.  Hunt with a 100 year-old European SxS - check.

2.  Hunt with French dog with unpronounceable breed name - check.

3.  Have been known to drive a Lexus when out hunting - check.

4.  Work in a cubicle moving papers around all day - check.

On the other hand:

1. Came up fairly hard in blue-collar neighborhood of NYC - check.

2.  From family of off-the-boat Sicilian meat hunters - hunted whatever, ate it all, and a non-performing dog was "removed" in short order - check.

3.  Only owned one gun of each type - shotgun, .22, deer rifle - until my mid 30's - check.

4.  Worked 10 different "blue-collar" jobs (from paper boy to painter to forklift driver) before my first "white-collar" one - check.

I dunno - how's that balance out?

Maybe I just "yup" now because I can.

shorthairgrousedog

So what you are saying is that if you drank Corona and drove a Toyota you'd be a yuppie.....interesting......

I drink Corona (it's cheap beer) but if your toyota is a Landcruiser.... well maybe a yuppie

shorthairgrousedog

Uhhhhhhh, wrong again, flinch boy.... You drink suck beer cause thats all carpetbagger buys(cause his reading skills are lacking and Bud's got almost to many letters for him) You drive a American car, only when your wife lends it to you... You have a palatial estate on a lake, with a dock and a boat. You have a "summer" place in the grouse capital of Nh. Lets not for get the smoking hot trophy wife as well as the 2.3 kids, the designer bird dogs, the internet gun sales your always doing , the 24 hour a weeks you put in a work(but get paid for 50, and 24 might be generous), oh I forgot , the president of the William Harden RGS chapter,yeaaaaaaaa your a yuppie

Strange how other people see you :laugh:

Signed,

Flinch boy

PS it's 15 hrs a week :p

shorthairgrousedog
I can't be a yuppie hunter because I drink cheap beer and drive an american vehicle.

Be careful, you might get a ticket for that.

Good catch Nick.....Not at the same time  :laugh: Don't drink cheap beer and drive!

Well, I am pushing 30 so that fits.  I drive a Subaru so that fits.  I have smoked a pipe while grouse hunting- good there.  I shoot a sxs- another point.  But then it falls apart when one notices I am too fat to fit the image, my subaru is beat all to heck and back, I quit smoking the pipe, and my sxs is a banged up merkel mod.47 that cost less tham most semiautos.

Nope, especially since I still hunt behind an old mutt.  I would like to have enough money to be one though.

Lemme see:

On the other hand:

2.  From family of off-the-boat Sicilian meat hunters - hunted whatever, ate it all, and a non-performing dog was "removed" in short order - check.

3.  Only owned one gun of each type - shotgun, .22, deer rifle - until my mid 30's - check.

4.  Worked 10 different "blue-collar" jobs (from paper boy to painter to forklift driver) before my first "white-collar" one - check.

Where do you stand on Filson products?

Lemme see:

On the other hand:

Nowhere....they get dirty if you stand on them.  Unless they're boots.

I might have been once - new SUV, fancy gun, Filson from head to toe, fancy booze, fancy beer, Spiller and GBE in my head, living in the metroplex, driving long distances and spending lots of money - not for birds, but to experience the "upland shooting life".

Nowadays I don't think so.   Same SUV but dented, rusty and with180K miles, gun too blue-worn to be fancy, still wear Filson but it looks like it was dragged behind a skidder, less discriminate on booze / beer options and still hunting grouse over a lowly Labrador.

And according to my creaky knee, forehead becoming a fivehead and newly discovered lactose intolerance....I'm hardly young anymore.

Another question - what would you call a grown man who *just* started hunting birds, buys a new fancy gun every other week, gets a fancy new dog, buys all the fanciest new toys, rents fancy cabins and yet makes fun of people who have been hunting grouse their entire life, both with and without a dog, shooting one of dad's old guns before more recently buying their own and who happen to like drinking tea?

Jackass comes to mind.

Lemme see:

On the other hand:

Call it a product of my upbringing - can't bring myself to spend $150 for pants.

I hunt in Levi's and Cabela's chaps or brush pants (also Cabela's), and a Cabela's Upland Classic vest, that's ripped and bloodstained.

I leave the Filson and LL Bean dress-up for my hunting buddies (like 'Scratch).

Well, while dove hunting the other day, I wore an old Ducks Unlimited t-shirt with baseball sized holes in the armpits.   Seriously.  So, does that make me a closet yuppie??

Did you get the holes from honest wear or did you buy the shirt that way?