New project…pontoon duck blind now underway.

dogrunner

Looks big, the ducks are gonna think your living on site. 😉

Mike da Carpenter
11 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Looks big, the ducks are gonna think your living on site. 😉

Yes, it “looks” like it, but the under pontoon trailer and full sheet plywood sides (that project a foot below the deck) are a big optical illusion.  

“Tiny” and I got there this morning and waited out a rainstorm.

This is my youngest (just turned 16) “Tiny”…. Here he is wondering why he got out of bed at 6 this morning.  HA!!

149080F7-D3AC-4F68-A2E1-ABD9B3CB6DD4.thumb.jpeg.c5abf99562df4e71268c9354773c7f5b.jpeg

Rain slowed up enough that we were able to get everything cleaned up from yesterday and put away.  Then we located some cattle fence and staged it for when we get some time to install.  Besides some farm chores, that’s all that got done today.  Tiny got called into work so it was a good time to call it a day.  Hopefully by the end of the week, we can get all the wood painted flat black.  While we were sitting out the rain, I did get online and ordered a 60’ roll of woven grass for concealment.  Hopefully it will be here by the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
Mike da Carpenter

Told the kid if he wanted to hunt, he needed to get out of bed early for the hour drive and beat the August heat.  Well, he wanted to go “Cruise” Woodward with the million other people for the annual Dream Cruise last night.  A kid’s gotta have fun too.  He sent us a few pictures from last night…  If you have a love of automobiles, then this is the event for you.  If you can imagine it, wait long enough and it will drive by.  Simply amazing how many people love their vehicles, no matter if it is a $500 gambler, or a $3 million Bugatti.  The pure muscle cars from the 60’s/70’s are always my favorite.

0AC18D2A-FFC0-42FC-BA86-935518C168F8.thumb.jpeg.8012f63c8ba8a1f99c9fb0fdb771884b.jpeg

D27B3991-AEBA-4335-88DB-C1CA11D04C92.thumb.jpeg.f8ebda2390c6fd36401f3197f35c1c4c.jpeg

CE7E8EC0-40B7-48B9-B37D-5E23E58957AC.thumb.jpeg.963d6786e752ec4f7ef6507703920aba.jpeg

Well, if he wants to hoot with the owls at night, he has to get up early to soar with the Eagles… time to paint the Duck Palace.

7283E22B-94EA-4F58-B92B-A2EE2B60EDB8.thumb.jpeg.fb2c6d9fd364bb46d3e0bcf0ba57f918.jpeg

5174BCAE-79A6-45CA-A6A8-4EAA3FBF22E8.thumb.jpeg.9abebe79fc50f92dfcfa31c701fa49de.jpeg

With any luck, the roof and grass will be done tomorrow and it will be ready to launch.

• 2 weeks later...
Mike da Carpenter

This has just been one of those years where time off for fun stuff is at a premium.  Took me a couple weeks to get back up here to get the thatched roof on.  

E46B567D-CCB5-4499-8062-968025E19CB8.thumb.jpeg.be77b09cb96c36f96474a1ae162a13de.jpeg

80D24FA3-68AC-4465-BC6C-592BD8949863.thumb.jpeg.0b56d6eeee575e5251f07f08e83a80ef.jpeg

The SS Mallard (Christened by the landowner) is ready to be launched.  He absolutely loves it and gives him the 360° shooting he said he wanted.  

Sadly, I don’t think we are going to get to hunt the youth waterfowl season.  Just too much going on.  Will probably be “Up North” that weekend chasing grouse, and trying to catch up with the oldest who somehow got invited by his University to go out on an Elk Survey for 3 days of backpack camping with the Northern Michigan Elk herd, and right in the middle of their rut/pre rut where bugling is very abundant.

Tomorrow the youngest and I will hit the farm to get set up for next weekend’s Youth deer season.  Man do I ever love this time of year, and not to far off is the regular Watertown season on the SS Mallard.

Rick Hall

Will you be serving drinks with little umbrellas?  (The debil made me ask...)

Mike da Carpenter
46 minutes ago, Rick Hall said:

Will you be serving drinks with little umbrellas?  (The debil made me ask...)

Yes, delivered by waitresses wearing skirts made of materials that were left over.  HA!!

• 2 weeks later...
Mike da Carpenter
6 hours ago, Bloodhound said:

Is it a-float yet?  Hope so and hope you are pounding them...

Not as of today.  The tractors we need to get it through the neighbor’s property to be able to launch it have been in use.  Was hopeful to have it done for this coming weekend for the Youth/Veteran hunt, but the youngest says he wants to go work with some friend to make some money so the motivation factor to get it in is waning.  Couple that with the TONS of rain we have been getting the last 2 weeks and the fields are quite waterlogged.  

I’m not letting all that get me down though.  When we were out at the youth deer hunt last weekend, we were out in the field, dressing Luke’s deer and there were flocks of wood ducks that kept coming out of the pond and flying right over us.  Well, Luke may want to hang with friends, but I’m a Veteran which makes me eligible, so I’m going to give it a solid try by sitting on the edge of the pond/field intersection and see if I can give my shoulder a good workout.  

I’m quite sure by the regular duck season, she will be floating…lord willing!!!  

I guess being too busy can be seen to some as being a curse, but others see it as a blessing.  I just go with the flow most times and come out smiling at the end.

Bloodhound

I am looking forward to a pic or two of it on the water.  I found a smaller version pontoon boat 2 people max, and was thinking it might work in the small lake at the cabin...maybe a summer project for 2022

Some states have special regulations regarding people and floatation devices on pontoon crafts. I wonder if they would apply the Webfoot Monitor here?  Think about it, rig up a few hinged

gun ports and spray paint some heavy sections of that thick walled cardboard cylinders they roll carpeting around. Haul open the gun ports and push those "canon barrels" out into sight and Nobody is going to crowd your blind. Bet it would get a rise out of a DNR boat too? 😄 Oh Man I'd have to do it!

Bloodhound

The neighbor up the road has one this size...its small but I normally am hunting by myself anyway

Sport161-559x372_grande.jpg?v=1590158500