Maine is out and MT seems to be a sure thing. How is the fishing in the area? When is the best time to go? How difficult would it be to add bird hunting if going in late September? 

Thanks,

Barna 

You can hunt mountain grouse just about anywhere in the mountains in September but remember that you'll be in grizzly country (wolves and lions too).  I would say that taking HWY 2 east would be your fastest route to prairie grouse and huns but I don't think you can currently drive through the Blackfeet Reservation.  I think to get to the prairies you'll have to drive south through the Seeley-Swan then east on 200.   

You'll need to check into it, but if it remains closed due to COVID, you won't be able to get to Columbia Falls driving east to west on US 2.

Bird_Man_mike

Good fishing for westslope cutthroat in the Flathead forks.   If youre there before mid August, South Fork Flathead is one of the few places intentionally fishing for bull trout is legal in MT (long drive to get in there or long hike).  Mountain grouse all around.  Long drive to prairie birds. 

Dick Sellers

It's been a long time since I hunted birds in that country, but I used to find prairie birds south and/or east of the Blackfoot Reservation.  Don't know anything about the fishing.

Brad Eden

I know this is primarily fishing, but Please use Private Messages to offer any further guidance to hunting areas. I get beat up pretty bad particularly from MT hunters concerning hotspotting, it’s a thing. And I’m not kidding. 

Not dinging the OP or anyone, but this is a real issue I deal with. Thanks.

Hotspotting

I ran the numbers on driving out and back with the dogs it looks like I am going to fly and fish.  Any guide recommendations in the area? 

Barna 

Back in the 90s I did two outfitter fishing trips into the Bob Marshall Wilderness.  Both trips were incredible.  Horseback in, fish the south fork of the Flathead River for five days and float out.  Incredible scenery and fishing.  All cutts and lots of them.  I would highly recommend the trip.

• 2 weeks later...
Okhotnik

South East  of CF has a good number of grouse and shirttail options. Lost of FS roads west of the there for grouse.  The BF Rez, I fish it a lot, good fishing as all of the local rivers and creeks. The E side of GNP is still closed.

tops911

I hunted on the north of CF, I lasted about 1/2 a day before quitting. Way too much grizzly sign, nothing makes your hair stand on end like going in for a flush and wondering if it's a bird or grizzly. My old dog points fur and has point black bears that I've flushed!

Edited by tops911
added info
Okhotnik
7 hours ago, tops911 said:

I hunted on the north of CF, I lasted about 1/2 a day before quitting. Way too much grizzly sign, nothing makes your hair stand on end like going in for a flush and wondering if it's a bird or grizzly. My old dog points fur and has point black bears that I've flushed!

O yeah good reminder.  That region has a lot of grizzly

• 1 month later...
barna

Looks like the powers that be decided that I need to take 3 weeks off work (furlough) between now and end of June because of the semiconductor shortage.  Might as well go fishing.  I figure the last 2 weeks of June would be my target to head out to MT.  Looking at the Flat head river middle branch for cuts and whatever else. Not sure if I want to backpack and float the wilderness area, not by myself anyway.  Drive as far as I can and hike the rest of the way for day trips. 

Is the last 2 weeks of June to early for decent fishing?

thanks,

Barna 

Bird_Man_mike

Typically yes.  Snowpack is light, tho, and you may luck out.  

barna
1 hour ago, Bird_Man_mike said:

Typically yes.  Snowpack is light, tho, and you may luck out.  

When would I know if the snow pack has melted off enough? Is there a water flow chart that is available? 

406dn

My fishing days are long in the past. June is the heavy run off month. Most years the run off starts after mid May, building into mid June and tapering off in late June or early July. It depends on how much snow there is to melt and the weather. For your purposes a light snow pack and lots of warm weather in May and early June would be the ticket.

Even if the water has cleared, it will be flowing with vigor.

PartridgeCartridge

Stick to the tailwater rivers. The freestones are typically still booming that time of year, depending on snowpack. 

I'm heading out in August to fish for a month and then stating in Idaho, hunting east through MT, SD, MI, WIS and points further east.

Good luck to you. Try the Bighorn if you can. Awesome river if you like big fish sipping dries.