Bird_Man_mike
14 hours ago, barna said:

When would I know if the snow pack has melted off enough? Is there a water flow chart that is available? 

Here is the USGS real time streamflow for the middle fork:

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/mt/nwis/uv?site_no=12358500

Thats about all you can watch.  Youll see the flows start to fall as runoff peters out.  Looking at historical data, earlyJuly flows are roughly 5000 cfs.  If it gets here, you might be OK.  

If you arent set on Columbia Falls and just want to fish in MT, send me a PM and I can give you a couple suggestions.  

flyphish2day

I have family in that area and have packed and fished there for 30 years. It is wayyyyy more crowded than it used to be. I would check on lodging now if you have not got any yet. My family is in the tourism industry and many of the bookings are already full until they open up the last rooms at about triple. You can have good fishing on the upper reaches of rivers by that time and there are lakes as well. Grizzlies are every where now. Just camp smart and be noisy. We have had grizz in our camp 2x in the past few years. Never knew till the "new" tracks by the tent. You sleep with one eye open for sure after that! LOL!! message me if you want would like some more info. 

Dave in Maine

I can't speak to Columbia Falls, but have some experience n SW Montana.  Late June in a low-snowpack year you can start to chase the salmonflies - they'll be getting active and making for the shore about then.  The hatch will work its way upstream, sometimes a couple miles a day, as you get into the end of June and beginning of July.  The fly shops and sometimes the local media will cover where they are hatching, so that information is pretty much available in close to real time.

Also, if you're a veteran carry some proof of that if you intend to go into the national parks.  There was a law passed last winter (sponsored by Sen. Collins) whereby veterans get free admission.  At $35 or so a pop to go into the national park, this adds up.  It's your money:  you can give it to Sam, or to the local brewery.  

barna

Thanks for the information guys, unfortunately I had a bit of bad fortune and broke my wrist Monday morning. Looks like the MT trip is delayed until late summer early fall. Need to use my time off to recover after surgery. 

Barna

Dave in Maine

Well, heal up.

• 2 months later...

I picked up some new hardware but recovering nicely. 

Unfortunately I overused my right arm and developed a wicked bad case of tennis elbow.  So I am to the point where casting is moderately difficult without pain.  However I am  looking at the glass half full and making plans to be in MT mid-September, fishing only.  Still looking at the middle fork of the Flathead and possibly some Alpine lakes if they are still accessible. I am planning on taking just a 9’ 5wt as the primary and a 8’4wt as the backup, hoping this will cover all the fishing conditions.  

Thanks,

Barna   

MVIMG_20210706_103455[1].jpg

Did a 12-14 mile, 5-6 day backpack trip into the Scapegoat wilderness about 40 years ago, complements of the USFS. Unfortunately, I didn't have a fly rod, rather a chainsaw for a wildfire. We did camp along, I believe the south fork of the Blackfoot or Flathead river (I don't remember) and it looked like it would have been a nice stream to fish!  The only thing I did with the river is wade in to clean some soot and grime off and it was extremely cold for August.

Lot of angling restrictions in Montana now (see the post three hours ago in this subforum by bigjohned))and not likely to be lifted by September  IMO....drought, heat, fires etc 

11 hours ago, Geoff Roznak said:

Yikes!

I just sold a drift boat what had less metal in it than your wrist!

Had my left hip replaced about a year and a half back, not this plate in my left arm, kind of reminds me of the Johnny Cash song, one piece at a time,😁

Barna

1 hour ago, barna said:

Had my left hip replaced about a year and a half back, not this plate in my left arm, kind of reminds me of the Johnny Cash song, one piece at a time,😁

Barna

Yep.  Getting older isn't for wimps.  I still have all my original parts, but some of 'em don't work as well as they used to...

All the important ones do though.