Annual Maine Spring Turkey Hunt Topic

Brad Eden

Nothing much to report. I am seeing my share of turkeys while out and about, but any serious scouting wont commence until next month, and then ramp up before the opener on May 3. 

I haven’t heard any gobbles here in mid Maine but received a report that they are starting to gobble in southern Maine. 

That’s all I got....more to come.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Coalman

• WPG Gizmo

• hobbes

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got one. Spent from fly down til late morning hunting with my buddy Scott. We saw birds; strutting long beards all henned up and unwilling to leave their dates.    I headed out in early afterno

Saturday 05-08-2021 We went right over the listening spot of my favorite and opening day mountain to get down to that sweet triangle of mountain points that was bubbling up gobbles yesterday. But

05-24 2nd hunt The woods is tinder dry. Dangerous dry. AND NOISY. There is no sneak unless you are on a trail.   The first trailhead was occupied by a red Jeep. I gave him his

Posted Images

Brad Eden
2 hours ago, mister grouse said:

deleted-not maine

No problem to Post. This is an equal opportunity Topic.

WMassGriff

Not ONE gobble yet! Haven't seen any in the usual spots. I think the population is trending down in the areas I usually hunt! Count yourself fortunate to have a great population to chase.

WPG Gizmo

Seeing lots of action in Southern NH big flocks of toms and hens lots of strutting and gobbling only 5 more week give or take till May 1st

gunsrus

I was heading North this morning on 89 to the Vet in Vermont , I saw two flocks around 30 birds in each .

The season opens April 15th here in Idaho. While at my mom's place, yesterday morning, walking the 100 yds or so to fetch her paper, I heard some hens and a tom gobbling. They were still on the roost, a couple hundreds yards up the timbered hill. I walked out about 30 minutes later and gobbled and got an immediate response. The evening before I saw two Toms meandering about, one being a nice mature bird, the other a younger smaller bird.

I'll probably try to get out to do some scouting next week.

Brad Eden

458E3DD2-69FA-46D6-BB00-C38D137497E2.jpeg

I came home from errands an hour ago and when I was climbing the basement stairs I saw this hen out back from the basement window. She was being dive bombed by blue jays. You can see a flying blue jay at top middle frame. I’ve shot my share of fall hens and she is stout. A mature girl for sure.

585FE3F3-6EA0-48B4-9382-736D134AC402.jpeg

After the blue jays gave up she has been pecking bird seed for the last hour. I just checked and she is still out there feeding, I want her to skiddadle so I can take the dogs out. But I want her to stay in the area til May so some suitors will come looking for her 

Brad Eden

Took the dogs out at dawn to do their P&P and heard my first spring gobble. Not too far behind the house. Game almost on.

Millriver

Haven’t heard a gobble yet, but this guy has been seen in the area I’m planning on hunting:

E86339B5-28D5-404E-AA08-755928EF47CC.jpeg

WMassGriff

Still at feeders around here. Just like the bears!

Brad Eden

6A0AA806-911E-4D40-A729-1212DD9AA415.jpeg

Looks like some strutters are wearing down wing tips and serenading some hens at one of my go to spots. This dance routine is on a gravel road. Wing tip strutting sign is often overlooked or not acknowledged. I always look for it on dirt roads etc.

mister grouse
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

6A0AA806-911E-4D40-A729-1212DD9AA415.jpeg

Looks like some strutters are wearing down wing tips and serenading some hens at one of my go to spots. This dance routine is on a gravel road. Wing tip strutting sign is often overlooked or not acknowledged. I always look for it on dirt roads etc.

Strut marks and foot prints Been about the best scouting tool I have in many places. I never pass a sandy spot , wet dirt , or mud hole without looking.  Year round 

Treerooster

Strut marks are always good to find. Not always very apparent, especially on gravel roads. The ones in snow sure tell a vivid story tho. Its amazing how much of their primary wing feathers some gobbler wear off.

1318853535_StrutmarksinsnowResized.thumb.jpg.6c3ab576cfddaac85f8ceb3d6e49a9cd.jpg

Sign is important to me as I travel a lot and do little if any scouting. Their droppings are a good sign. The old "J" of the gobbler and the roundish hen droppings. A good way to tell how fresh they are is, the more bitter the taste the fresher the dropping.

There is another type of turkey dropping some may not be so familiar with. I call them turkey splats or flat scats. A short explanation is they are turkey pee.

Here are two types that you may see while out in the turkey woods. The first one is very fresh and actually led me to a flock of turkeys.

600459810_TurkeyFlatScat4AResized.thumb.JPG.e9d87c089bd4b90303e8736999a75f30.JPG

1971078935_TurkeyFlatScat3Resized.thumb.JPG.9588b8a81c2c84127a440a954ace9569.JPG

Coalman

Ahh Maine. No more quarantine hide and seek. The pandemic really messed up my first year of retirement turkey hunting season. Big flashing neon signs at every State of Maine access point requiring 14 days of isolation once you crossed onto their yellow brick roads.

Not so fast Covid-19. I'll be fully vaccinated and on the prowl by May 3.

We live with the wild turkeys. Our neighborhood flock totaled better than thirty all winter. Just last week things really started heating up. Hens bothering toms for love. We watched four adult gobblers with their version of the WWF Smackdown the other evening. I've noticed the ranks getting smaller this week. Spring breakup is happening in the hood. The roost music has gained volume and now has purpose after fly down. You can't ask for any better language teachers to learn from.

The turkeys at the farm are still AWOL. A flock of hens and jakes did a drive by on March 23rd. Got a single hen on camera the last card check. I have my new wireless game camera on the dusting site and it hasn't been visited yet.

But this is about Maine! My West Virginia of turkey hunting. In the region of the fire of 1947 the mountains have regrown into hardwood. Our first recon was March 27th. Just before we topped our first ridge we heard three birds gobbling above us. In our next foray we met a metal detector guy at an old foundation. Before ending our friendly and lengthy conversation I asked if he had seen any turkey here in his travels. He looked at the mountain and pointed up. Said he heard two gobbling at first light. We now have 2 X's squarely on the map. 

I say we. He is a young forester with a passion to hunt but wasn't doing well with turkey.  In 2016 I called in four jakes in the pouring rain and he shot one. In 2018 we sat side by side and killed two adults side by side.

He was turned loose in 2019 and shot a couple nice gobblers on his own. I was there for him but only through text. Last year again two adults. All on his own. His biggest virtue is patience. I'm getting older, it is hard for me to get back into those Maine hills I used to float through. And before I die I want to show someone these back country gobbler haunts. He qualifies.

Yesterday I went solo scouting. I had a mountain in mind and a map in hand. As I was parked on the road getting ready for my climb a turkey started gobbling on his own above me in the log yard. You can't make this up. Then he was on the move, with me right behind him. He gobbled with intent at every one of his stops. The woods was wide open. I used the terrain to get as close as I could and waited. It didn't take long and I saw movement going left but the gobbling was coming from the right. Then a black object moved into frame and displayed, through the screen of trees I could see another tom wave a fan.

They moved off, one gobbling with a mission, towards my next planned mountain hike.

We are going Maine mountain gobble hunting this spring. Looking forward to it!

He was gobbling just over the rise. My heart was beating a hundred. From the climb and the excitement!

1626402021_Justovertherise.04-09-2021web.jpg.136904e5e2e5cb816ffd7039ed9a9563.jpg

Over the hill, on the road,at the end, his proven strut area overlooking the hollow. You can hear a long way from that point! :)

He spent a half hour here gobbling before moving off to the ridge on the left.

795382365_Strutareaweb.jpg.fcc9d5fcddf0efd1cf1c9323e08c6f78.jpg

Following........