Annual Maine Spring Turkey Hunt Topic

hobbes
On 5/27/2021 at 8:01 AM, Brad Eden said:

One thing I’ve learned but don’t adhere to nearly enough is....if a distant bird is obviously gobbling to my calls but is way the hell off he can be worked. Instead of trying to cut the distance I should have sat my ass down at the nearest decent tree. 

I try to do the same unless there are some crazy obstacles between us.  It's unreal how far these Western birds will come if the mood strikes them.  However, I get impatient some days and make a move too soon.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Coalman

• WPG Gizmo

• hobbes

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got one. Spent from fly down til late morning hunting with my buddy Scott. We saw birds; strutting long beards all henned up and unwilling to leave their dates.    I headed out in early afterno

Saturday 05-08-2021 We went right over the listening spot of my favorite and opening day mountain to get down to that sweet triangle of mountain points that was bubbling up gobbles yesterday. But

05-24 2nd hunt The woods is tinder dry. Dangerous dry. AND NOISY. There is no sneak unless you are on a trail.   The first trailhead was occupied by a red Jeep. I gave him his

Posted Images

Brad Eden

3 days left. One all rain. I did a flydown hunt here this morning:

B4128E0D-7D7C-40EA-B216-A62A5A477601.jpeg

Gorgeous area. I was figuring on hearing some gobbles on the roost since Ive encountered long beards here this season. But was only rewarded with a couple distant gobbles well after flydown. I couldn’t get on those birds. After a couple hours I switched gears and headed to the Powerline area where I killed my first long beard this season. Not nearly as pretty an area. But I struck a bird or birds, set up against an old stone wall in the woods and called in no less than 4 Jakes, 2 long beards and 4-5 hens. The Jakes appeared first to my sharp left at around 30 yards. I had to twist around a tree to see them gawking in my direction. As I was deciding whether to try and get my shotgun up without getting busted and try and kill one, out strolls two long beards. They get mixed up with the Jakes and I can’t pick one out so wait, hoping the whole group will come closer. Of course the two Toms filter straight away, and the Jakes mill around and then start to drift off, and then the hens file in. I’m still twisted in an awkward position. They hung around coming in as close as 10 yards and rubber necking me for what seemed like forever. I wanted them to walk away so I could get up and reposition at a different angle and try to get a long beard to commit. But the damn hens wouldn’t leave! I did some yelps with my mouth call and one of the long beards would still gobble. Finally the hens drifted off and I managed to get my cramped body off the ground, but despite trying different angles the Toms wouldn’t cooperate and went mute after awhile. If I had my shotgun in position I likely could have knocked down one of the long beards when they first appeared, but I had a lot of eyes on me! Wild turkey hunting can get exhausting late season but is still a blast.

Coalman

Last Friday we went back to the sugar bush. That is the piece I was going to come back to later in the morning last week before I tagged out in the second hunt of the day.

We split up to listen for roost gobbling. BIL on the sugar bush gobblers and I went listening for the Pond Gobbler. BIL struck a bird first. We set up and called in a deer. Those roost gobbles would be the only verbals of the morning.

BIL and I finished his season in the main hollow of a double summit mountain. The beauty of the woods, the diversity of trees and the abundant wildlife made the hike in worth it. See you next year Lord willing!

Yesterday was my last hurrah with Guide Jim. He has one tag to fill. It was a turkey eventful morning. At one point the hammers came back on his Parker. We did a lot of talking to hens. One jake came in and flew into a tree. He gave us a pretty good calling lesson.

We got the Wounded Warrior wing from a hen grouse. We never did see her poults but she did a lot of humming to them.
Record that noise and ask anybody to identify it and only UJ members would get it right.

My Maine season ended at the back of a humongous field overlooking Sebago Lake. Even if I wasn't a turkey I liked it here too.

This was the best turkey season of my life. Not in the sense of best hunts. Not in kills and statistics. But in having the time to enjoy every single minute of the physical effort knowing when I got home I could take a nap. Retirement has its perks.

I started preparing for the season in April by taking short hikes. That was ten pounds ago as of yesterday.
Turkey hunting can ravage your health. My Fitbit said in one twelve day stretch I was averaging 6.3 miles per day, in the short mountains or large hills of western, ME.

Thank you Brad for starting this thread on Maine turkey hunting. It is the BEST!

Brad Eden

Second to last day of ME season. I’m still after it. Nothing struck at flydown, but fooled with 5 very reluctant Jakes later on. Same group that Jo extracted a Jake from. Buggers won’t approach any closer than 50 yards to calls or hen decoy. I probably would have filled my final tag if one was dumb enough to get closer or I could have ambushed them. I ended up watching them at around 70 yards in an open blueberry barren. When they started moving off I pulled out a foldable fabric full fan Tom silhouette decoy just for kicks. They did what I expected. Ran for the hills. 🏃‍♂️🏔 🦃 😀

Im hoping to get JoAnn out sometime in morning on the closer tomorrow.

Coalman

Today is the end of the Maine spring gobbler season. You can hop the country now from March to June chasing long beards.

Guide Jim humorously refers to himself as Last Man Standing.  He could have closed the season with a modern firearm but instead prefers to hunt with a side by side Parker with hammers. Black powder paper shells.  It limits his range. And he is happy with that.

Looking forward to listening to his and Brad's final episode.

lee sykes

I'd like to see them legalize hunting turkeys with an iron sighted percussion rifle with patched round ball. Considering the new heavy metal ammo makes a .410 lethal at 75 yards. About an even trade, I'd think.  If it's not flying, I like rifles.

mister grouse
5 hours ago, lee sykes said:

'd like to see them legalize hunting turkeys with an iron sighted percussion rifle with patched round ball. Considering the new heavy metal ammo makes a .410 lethal at 75 yards. About an even trade, I'd think.  If it's not flying, I like rifles.

🤔The same weaponry that defeated the British in the Revolution , right?  

Please keep this armament approach in Mane of you do decide to legalize it for spring turkeys.  🤕

Brad Eden

Toast...Fat Lady belted it out...struck out in morning with JoAnn in 85° temps...was planning on a very later afternoon vigil but severe thunderstorm warnings for late afternoon sent me out in mid afternoon. 

B70A03E0-B719-4EA1-B809-3722A155F907.jpeg

Settled in with the 20 gauge and new Red Dot scope and UJ Traveling Box Call...

F10AE05C-B164-43A1-8AC6-D1F655375634.jpeg

...with this view of a section of blueberry barren where I’ve been chasing turkeys all season, mostly Jakes. 

80CB66FE-156C-40C4-89E1-EB875009856B.jpeg

D107B61E-72AD-4B2F-9982-9E0966952D0A.jpeg

...then moved and sat up high watching these panoramas in the same barren a little later, throwing out some cuts...(Powerlines lead to a cell tower)

No fowl seen, heard, nor molested.

Weird season actually. Plenty of birds, not  a lot of gobbling, spread out, huge amount of Jakes. If they make it through fall hunt and winter we will have a bumper crop of 2 year olds next Spring. Two processed and ready for turkey burgers and smoked breast and slow cooked legs and thighs for turkey tacos. Til next spring.

Coalman

Son and father.

The Last Men Standing. 06-05-2021

Jim told me the third time the five jakes came in was just too much for the last day of the season.

His son on the left scored a gobbler at first light.

1053635656_Lastmenstanding06-05-2021MEweb-Copy.jpg.f25e5d6df04b3878beb4986f929affb7.jpg

He never took me to those places last Thursday. LOL!!!!