Spring Bear Hunt

jdligon

Has anyone chased black bears in the spring?  I’m really thinking about an impulsive trip to Montana this spring, but it’s an overwhelming proposition. 

My schedule is pretty open, but I’m thinking late May?  Does anyone have any advice as far as timing or tips/tricks?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RookieEP

• jdligon

• PartridgeCartridge

• BrentD

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've photographed hound hunts here in WI, but it takes a long time to get a permit here so I did a spring bear hunt behind hounds in Idaho in 2019 (where permits were over-the-counter.) Great experien

In a previous life I did a lot of spring bear hunting - the objective was catch and release.

I have done several spot and stalk spring hunts in BC.    Here's two different bears...       It's an amazing hunt and you should see several bears.   

Posted Images

Brad Eden

We don’t have a spring bear hunt in Maine. Indigenous people may have one. Not sure. I’ve done a fair share of early fall bear hunting. Mostly over bait (legal and promoted by the MEIF&W for management considerations) and have not shot one. I’ve had a few chances with bow and rifle but for one reason or another it didn’t jell. Spot and stalking and even predator calling in open terrain in states like much of MT seems like it would be awesome. Keep us posted. The black bear meat that’s been gifted to me has been great.

Fire Marshal Bill

I too have never shot a bear but have been the benefactor of a buddy's success. And can attest to the great taste of bear meat. Actually I liked it better than venison and I really like venison. 

UplandHntr

Ive shot a few fall bears over bait.. and Im in the bakery business so they ate well. May have contributed to their great taste. 
Sorry, never a spring hunt. 

PartridgeCartridge

I have done several spot and stalk spring hunts in BC. 

Here's two different bears...

007_3A-6.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

P5210011.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

It's an amazing hunt and you should see several bears. 

P5230029.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

P5220023-1.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fi

Once you try a spot and stalk, you won't want to hunt over bait.

I'm leaving in about 6 weeks to hunt bears north of Prince of Wales Island in Alaska.  It will be a spot and stalk hunt along the coast.  Apparently, the bears don't show until noon so we will fish in the morning, hunt in the afternoons.  

Scenery should be great.  I've never been in that part of the world.  

jdligon

Well you’ve failed to talk me out of it.  I’ll take a rifle and fly rod. I don’t have an agenda, and the timing works. 

Years ago I met a guide that worked for, I think, Cabinet Mountain Outfitters, or maybe Lodge. Anyway they offered spot and stalk black bear hunts and fly fishing. The vids he was showing looked just like what you are talking about.

1 hour ago, jdligon said:

Well you’ve failed to talk me out of it.  I’ll take a rifle and fly rod. I don’t have an agenda, and the timing works. 

Like a can't lose proposition

good luck

Cooter Brown
10 hours ago, BrentD said:

I'm leaving in about 6 weeks to hunt bears north of Prince of Wales Island in Alaska.  It will be a spot and stalk hunt along the coast.  Apparently, the bears don't show until noon so we will fish in the morning, hunt in the afternoons.  

Scenery should be great.  I've never been in that part of the world.  

You should be well armed in case you're attacked by those crazy mice!

Please take lots of pictures.  Which of those great looking rifles you posted pics of are you going to take?

Cooter, 

I am not too worried about being overwhelmed by mice but have you seen what is going on in southern Australia? 

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/worst-mice-plague-ever-seen-millions-rodents-descend-eastern-australia-rcna513

These are invasive/exotic Eurasion house mice (also common near you (and me and everyone else)).  

I'll be taking that Marlin 1895 square-bolt lever gun.  It was made in 1899.  About time it got out in the field for something serious.  I do not normally take high-tech multi-shooters like that, but the goal here is to kill the bear on the beach and not let it get into the devil's club scrub.  

I have never hunted or skinned a bear, so anyone that wants to add any advice, I'm more than welcome to it.  

I think jdligon has exactly the right plan for this spring.  Looking forward to hearing how he does.  I'll be considering packing an 8 wt rod for some feeder creek steelheads that I have heard rumors about, but halibut will be the main fish on the menu (too early for salmons).

PartridgeCartridge

Take ziplocks to collect the fat. Spring bears still have a good amount of fat. It is the most amazing leather protectant you will ever use.

Some saddle makers covet the stuff.

OldSarge

I’ve never shot a coastal black bear or one that has fed on a lot of fish, but I have shot and processed a few inland MI bears. My advice if you are planning to eat your bear is to get the hide and outer layers of fat off as soon as possible. Get the meat cool before the fat melts into the meat. Regular marbling of fat in the meat is okay, just not the inches of gelatinous fat. It will actually melt in the heat of your hand. They are extremely muscular animals with different structure than deer. Some great roasts and stew meat in your future. Good luck. 

Brad Eden

Outside of lucking into a Black bear that’s dining on blueberries in a blueberry barren or raspberries in a rare open area or being in the right place at the right time when on a deer stand. (You can shoot a bear during firearm deer season in Maine) ....spot and talk bear hunting doesn’t exist in Maine. The boreal forests put the kibosh on that. I’ve lived and hunted in Maine more than a human maybe oughta for over 30 years, and own a hunting camp in a very rich Black bear area in NE Maine. And I have never seen a black bear while in the process of just dicking around, scouting, bird, turkey or deer hunting or fishing. Only when perched over or near a 5 gallon bucket strapped to a tree filled with sweet goodies. I’ve enjoyed young bears slipping in and lying around like a dog, and a big pumpkin headed boar that followed my scent from a trail camera to the base of my 15 ft ladder stand. He put one paw on the bottom rung and looked up at me with those small black emotionless eyes, while I clenched a compound bow that felt like a slingshot. He decided not to climb up to shake my hand, and never committed to the bait and disappeared without a sound the way he had come. Pucker.

dogrunner

I love bear meat, better than deer in my book.