Spring Bear Hunt

PartridgeCartridge
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

I love bear meat, better than deer in my book. 

I like it too. Just not spring bear. Fall bear is delicious and they have the benefit of being very well fattened up. But the hibernation process and basically "stewing in their own juices" over the long winter doesn't make for real good eating.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RookieEP

• jdligon

• PartridgeCartridge

• BrentD

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've photographed hound hunts here in WI, but it takes a long time to get a permit here so I did a spring bear hunt behind hounds in Idaho in 2019 (where permits were over-the-counter.) Great experien

In a previous life I did a lot of spring bear hunting - the objective was catch and release.

I have done several spot and stalk spring hunts in BC.    Here's two different bears...       It's an amazing hunt and you should see several bears.   

Posted Images

Fire Marshal Bill

The bear meat I was fortunate to have donated to me was a Maine black bear. Very good eating. 

MAArcher

Montana doesn't allow it, but I'd like to do a bear hunt with dogs

flyphish2day

Bear hunting with dogs in Wisconsin is a hoot! It would take about 8 years to get a tag but you will see bear. I hunt Montana Spot and Stalk every year. Really low success rate but enjoyable. You can go days without seeing one and then bam they are there. It will snow one day and then be 80. Crazy weather in the Mountains. Great hunt but be ready to eat tag soup. 

jdligon

I’m trying to expand the number of big game animals I’ve unsuccessfully hunted.  Is there a type of grand slam for that?

KCrowley

I've photographed hound hunts here in WI, but it takes a long time to get a permit here so I did a spring bear hunt behind hounds in Idaho in 2019 (where permits were over-the-counter.) Great experience that I recommend if you ever get the chance. The dogs are really something.

I wrote about it for Bear Hunting Magazine and you can see the photos and read the story here on my website if you like. (It's a pdf, so it may load slowly.)

For some reason my linked story doesn't have the final photo of my bear, so here it is.

5D4_7349-2.thumb.jpg.5fd2c213dbaa62014e9f71c7cdf86fa8.jpg

Dick Sellers

In a previous life I did a lot of spring bear hunting - the objective was catch and release.image2.thumb.jpg.92a4a4d2b52f9d9422a9155c3f422c12.jpg

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

Bloodhound
23 hours ago, KCrowley said:

I've photographed hound hunts here in WI, but it takes a long time to get a permit here so I did a spring bear hunt behind hounds in Idaho in 2019 (where permits were over-the-counter.) Great experience that I recommend if you ever get the chance. The dogs are really something.

I wrote about it for Bear Hunting Magazine and you can see the photos and read the story here on my website if you like.

For some reason my linked story doesn't have the final photo of my bear, so here it is.

5D4_7349-2.thumb.jpg.5fd2c213dbaa62014e9f71c7cdf86fa8.jpg

Thank you I enjoyed that read...good stuff!

RookieEP
9 hours ago, Dick Sellers said:

In a previous life I did a lot of spring bear hunting - the objective was catch and release.image2.thumb.jpg.92a4a4d2b52f9d9422a9155c3f422c12.jpg

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

Dick you are one wild dude.  Those are some amazing bears! Not sure I understand the catch and release reference.  

RookieEP
5 minutes ago, RookieEP said:

Dick you are one wild dude.  Those are some amazing bears! Not sure I understand the catch and release reference.  

What guns you carry with those monsters 

Dick Sellers

Well the catch and release aspect was because a dart gun, shot from a helicopter was the "weapon" used and the bears woke up in about 30 minutes. All part of a research project.   As a safety matter. a .338 and or 12 ga. was handy "just in case" - never needed.

I should clarify that I'm not in the photos - I was taking the pictures. Those bears were all adult males - weighing in at ~1000 lbs.

RookieEP

Ahhh! So each of those bears lived another day- quite wicked. I thought the one in the pick up looked shot to me with a wound to the side. The size of their heads Look bigger than your torso..  

RookieEP
12 minutes ago, Dick Sellers said:

Well the catch and release aspect was because a dart gun, shot from a helicopter was the "weapon" used and the bears woke up in about 30 minutes. All part of a research project.   As a safety matter. a .338 and or 12 ga. was handy "just in case" - never needed.

You have some pistol in a shoulder harness. Happy to hear never needed 

zhtrainer

Great story KCrowley. Rugged dogs and the folks running them.