Morels 2021

I have been eating some oyster mushrooms I am finding along some of the rivers I fish.  Good summer find, more common in the fall. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• boon hogganbeck

• Swampy 16

• mister grouse

• Mike da Carpenter

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The boys and our friends found a few here in Oklahoma this morning....        

Mixed fishing/morel day.  Biggest haul I've ever found... My five-year-old son did well & found several on his own.  Glad we went today b/c the heat and the dry is starting to affect them. Mostly

Posted Images

The pictures in this thread blow me away.  My middle GA farm is pretty much at the far South edge of Morel country.  I find one now and then and make a big deal about eating it, but one does not go very far.  I never have come upon a group of them...SelbyLowndes

On 4/2/2021 at 5:43 PM, Huntschool said:

No Dave....  These are for really eating...  Not for that "other" experience.....  ala Jimmy Hendrix.

No morels  here now. Too hot but 4 days ago you could of picked an easy 12 pounds or so of Oyster mushrooms.

On the down side there hasn't been any Giant Puffballs growing around here in several years now. I made the mistake of introducing a buddy to them. Jim is a great guy but he simply cannot keep his yap shut and Fishing spots, Berry picking, Mushrooms, Wild plums etc. becomes common knowledge in the greater 3 county area before you can blink around here.

6 hours ago, mister grouse said:

I have been eating some oyster mushrooms I am finding along some of the rivers I fish.  Good summer find, more common in the fall. 

I don't know where bird land is but here in MT oysters are pretty much a spring to early summer mushroom.  A great shroom for the novice.  Very easy to identify and great eating.

Al -  I live most of the time in eastern Tennessee.  But have hunted mushrooms all over the US  and in BC and other parts of Canada . Used to find a good number of  morels in Montana in the spring,  and Shaggy Manes in the fall, as well as some excellent puffballs .   The Oyster Mushrooms  in the mid Atlantic generally are most productive in  fall when we get a good cold snap and a bunch of rain, say mid November.  

I occasionally get in to a mother lode  of some form of mushroom , and in last couple years have started to sell some of the locally foraged , wild grown unusual finds to the gourmet restaurants in the area.  Epicurean Chefs love unusual mushrooms and create some high-priced dishes with specimens like Lions Mane for example.

I was stuck in British Columbia after  9-11 in real backcountry on the coastal wilderness around the Dean River.  All helicopters were grounded for several days so we could not get out of the wilderness The folks who ran the small steelhead camp there picked a highly desirable mushroom called the Pine Mushroom, which were found in some numbers in the very remote coastal canyon. So having time on our hands (fishing license expired) we went looking for Pine Mushrooms.  We found quite a few , and gave them to the camp folks who had the connections to get them sold.  They brought way in excess of $100 a pound to Japanese buyers.  I brought some home , but got  better enjoyment  out of  eating the the Bears Tooth mushrooms I found also  in that area.