Planting Vegetation to Attract Ducks

LabHunter
On 10/11/2021 at 9:29 PM, mccuha said:

Did you use jap millet.  It will last a while.   I guess you have a way to plow and plant.   Corn is a good crop and the ducks love it for sure.  Just make sure no matter what you plant. Don’t run over it or show any way that you possibly manipulated it.    Many years ago our local mill owner plants a big duck pond for ducks.  He has shoots for his customers.  Someone I have no doubt accidentally ran over some corn.  Game wardens came when they shot it and started handing tickets to everyone.    It was a big stink.    The fed wardens are really serious.  

If the plants grow natively, then this is not an issue.  Our creek bottom is literally infested with smartweed.  As this is not something we have planted, we are in the clear for "disturbing it". 

2 minutes ago, LabHunter said:

If the plants grow natively, then this is not an issue.  Our creek bottom is literally infested with smartweed.  As this is not something we have planted, we are in the clear for "disturbing it". 

I agree.  I wouldn’t think manipulating native vegetation would be a problem. It’s the stuff that’s planted to attract is the problem 

LabHunter
15 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

Our area has lots of smartweed.  All we need are a few ducks.  

Edit:  

That species looks very much like what we have in our creek bottom.  We are covered up in the stuff.  We will be weed whacking it via canoe to open up the shooting holes.