Scouting last weekend

Bluegill68

Looks Great Hobbes!  The weather hear has not been too conducive for gobbling yet hope the wind blows down by the opener.

1 minute ago, Bluegill68 said:

Looks Great Hobbes!  The weather hear has not been too conducive for gobbling yet hope the wind blows down by the opener.

It snowed here on Monday then got back to 60 yesterday.  The opener is always questionable here but I usually have some action anyway.  I'm planning to give KS a run in May.

Looking good!

Looking ahead to next week's opener and the weather, it looks like some of the warmest days of the year in the Panhandle. Perhaps the same weather will flow east into your neck of the woods.

I was at my mom's place last Friday, woke up early as usual, made coffee and a fire in the wood stove, walked over to get her paper around 0600 am and heard some Toms gobbling and hens cackling where they were roosted. Same place as the week before. I don't suppose they'll still be in the same place by the opener, but I'm hoping so.

10 minutes ago, idcut said:

Looking good!

Looking ahead to next week's opener and the weather, it looks like some of the warmest days of the year in the Panhandle. Perhaps the same weather will flow east into your neck of the woods.

I was at my mom's place last Friday, woke up early as usual, made coffee and a fire in the wood stove, walked over to get her paper around 0600 am and heard some Toms gobbling and hens cackling where they were roosted. Same place as the week before. I don't suppose they'll still be in the same place by the opener, but I'm hoping so.

Good luck, I'll probably make it across to ID for turkeys one of these days.

There's plenty of them around the northern part of the state. If you come over sometime, let me know.  Before they started to get into the mating season, I'd always see a large number of them at my mom's place, hens mainly, but I did see a group of 6 Toms that would come in. Funny to watch them! They had a pattern. Early morning, they'd come off the roost and not walk, but sprint down an adjacent field to some walnut trees and scratch around for awhile, then they'd walk around some outbuildings, down to where me or my siblings would throw out the kitchen peelings, coffee grounds, etc, for my mom,  scratch around there for a bit and then head to a mountain ash tree and eat the fallen berries from that tree. Sometimes there might be 3-5 birds in the tree eating and knocking off the berries, perched precariously on some fairly thin branches!

There was a left over 3 lb coffee can of hazelnuts off a couple of hazel nut trees that my mom didn't want, cause she thought they were too small and more of a pain to crack them open, so I took those and threw out a couple of handfuls when I was there over a period of time...the turkeys loved them, so did the deer!

Good luck to you with the opener!

Skybuster
38 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

We are spoiled in WI.  

turkey.jpg

Yeah that. They're damn near pest status.

Bluegill68
14 minutes ago, Skybuster said:

Yeah that. They're damn near pest status.

I am headed to Zones 3&4 this year . 

WI Outdoor Nut
6 hours ago, Bluegill68 said:

I am headed to Zones 3&4 this year . 

This photo was in zone 3.  I mostly hunt in zone 2, but dabble in 3.  My daughter will be hunting the youth for her first time.

Allen McCallie
On 4/7/2021 at 12:36 PM, hobbes said:

Wow! What a herd!

I counted the hooves and divided by four and there are at lease 54 in that mob!