What would you do

RookieEP

Work is slow so Got the option to be off.  Wife said I should go turkey hunting.  Im like sweet checked the forecast..  Would you go?  Ill maybe have 2-3 more days to try and that’s it. 

371DDFD7-A66D-498C-BC69-AF655DFBE325.jpeg

OKhunter

Looks like a ground blind on a field kind of day.  Just wait them out.  A day turkey hunting better than not turkey hunting....if you're dry.

Mike da Carpenter

When I used to rough houses, it was interesting how all of us couldn’t work while it was raining, so we would collectively decide to come back the next day.  The next day we would all be telling our hunting/fishing stories about the day before.

Birds/fish/animals are all still there no mater what the weather is like.  It’s all about how determined you are to go after them.

I would hunt until about 9 then go back to work.  However, I have a relatively flexible schedule most of the time and know that I'll have better days to take off.  I can hunt that weather if I need to, but I seldom feel like I need to.

WPG Gizmo

Going to be 70 here if it was turkey season I would be in the woods as it is I have to wait till May 1st 

Remember any day in the woods is better than a day at work

WI Outdoor Nut

While my preferred day to turkey hunt is 2-3 days after a rain, when the high pressure is coming on.  Turkeys are just happy then.  However, I don't mind hunting the birds in the conditions you just showed.  You just need to adjust.  

Hunt open areas.  When raining, the turkeys can hear much at all, and their visibility is reduced.  So they go to open areas, such as fields where I hunt.  If I can have a field in a valley, even better.  The fields I will pick will be 10+ acres in size.  They will be there all day long, as long as nesting is not going on.  Pitch your tent, limit the calling, use decoys, and have a lot of patients.  That is the #1 reason for turkey success!

Treerooster

I would go. You got the morning up until about 9:00 or so. Forecasts aren't always accurate so I would play the weather and leave when the rain really hit. Probably still hunt in a light rain. Turkeys are out there 24/7 but can hole up in a heavy rain. With those temps I would probably be heading back to the truck once the rain started in earnest. But I don't hunt in a tent either so that can make a difference.

Good luck if you go.

To ask the question is to answer it.  (<<in my fortune cookie!)

Roost some birds the night before, set up on them in the dark and work them in to your setup as soon as they hit the dirt. You’ll have the whole day ahead of you to do whatever you want. 

RookieEP

Well gave it a good go.  Y'all were right, the morning was great.  Got to my public land spot which requires a lonnnng walk however I've yet to encounter other hunters  in this area, yes this place gets hit pretty hard from locals and even out-of-staters, but if you don't mind going for a long walk there is some areas that don't get much action.  There is a long elevated ridge to the north where I got busted last year walking out in the open when the sun started to peak out, so this time I got there earlier walked the long way around and followed a tree/brush line to the east edge of this long ridge.  Didn't have to wait to long till a 2 maybe 3 birds began some strong gobble came from the elevated ridge west of me.  Below the ridge is marshy area and a field but the field is over grown some, I thought of setting up there still East of the gobbles but feared of getting busted again so I set up on the other side of this tree/brush area where there was a smaller grassy field that is not overgrown- figured the Toms were 125-150+ yds away hard to say.  As it was getting brighter and the gobbles continued I did one soft yelp series and got an answer so shut up and decided to try the every 15-20 minute game.  With the cold weather and wet snow on the way I didn't want to sound like an alien sex crazed hen that was all hot and bothered. Shortly there after all went quiet.  After awhile a year old deer showed up and checked out my decoy was pretty funny, I wanted him to go though as was thinking it was a matter of time till he smelled me then spooked and scared my future birds.  I did a little repositioning to relieve my back which kinda spooked the deer came over and checked me out at like 12 yds then did a fast 180 degree turn but didn't run off just kept feeding but meandered away.  Kept to the game plan calling every 15-20 minutes, was starting to have doubts, when a nice big fat hen showed up, at first thought it was a jake,  she fed from right to straight in front of me came within around 10 yds, checking me out pretty hard at different angles and head positions but never spooked!  Settled in and ate around my decoy, and a around the area this went on for sometime and I kept my fingers crossed for Mr. Big Boy.. but he never showed even did 2 yelps series with the hen there, and she was just cool she eventually walked away.  Ice came then the snow started to fall hard. So around 830-845 had at least an hour back to the truck so started to head back, every 150 yds I'd stop and call, half way back got a gobble!  Came from a mature woods area and down hill a bit, kinda of a holler. I went 50 yds or so closer called again- Gobble, thought I had a chance now, I went to the edge of the woods set up my decoy, I do believed I called got 1 more gobble at this time, then nothing.. waited, waited nothing, called nothing- this repeated and repeated got more aggressive with calling thought why the hell not at this time.  Snow now lined the rib of my shotgun so high couldn't come close to seeing my fiber optic sight, whole arm was covered in snow.  Somehow I screwed something up, thought may have been the snow making cavitation noises under my boots when I first set up the decoy.  Not sure.  Could have been my calling but he was responding at first.  Got to close after the 2nd call? Hard to say I'm still quite the turkey hunter rookie.  Was a great day got some action but got work to do. 

I've had trouble before in those scenarios.  A gobbler is in mature trees down hill with brushy type open cover I've set up on the edge of the wood line above the bird with no luck.  I figure if you go any deeper you spook the bird by noise, or being seen, thought of circling to the side some, maybe stay still from the first gobble heard but what are the odds the turkey is going to walk all the way up hill to me.  What do you turkey killers do in those circumstances? 

Tracker 6

I like to be at the same elevation as the bird . 

If the bird has a relatively easy path to me, I'm good.  If he's jumped right on my calls and there isn't anything to hang him up, I sit down right there.  I rarely carry a decoy and when I do it doesn't get set up when a bird jumps right on the call very close by.  I don't like risking putting it out.  I really like for a bird to need to make it within range before it can see where the hen is supposed to be.    There's no telling why it didn't come in.  It could have seen you, could have followed a hen off strutting, a multitude of reasons.

I prefer same elevation or uphill, but we called one straight downhill on Saturday.  If they are hot, it doesn't really matter 

mister grouse

If it was indeed snowing as you were walking out there is a more likely than not that the gobbler was in a tree when he gobbled, and not on the ground.  That can makes  very difficult scenario , as he can see a lot more than one being on the ground, and secondly he wants to be tucked up in a tree to stay dry and warm (at least till the weather breaks).    These are just observations FME of what might be happening.

Danibeth
12 hours ago, RookieEP said:

A gobbler is in mature trees down hill with brushy type open cover I've set up on the edge of the wood line above the bird with no luck.  I figure if you go any deeper you spook the bird by noise, or being seen, thought of circling to the side some, maybe stay still from the first gobble heard but what are the odds the turkey is going to walk all the way up hill to me.  What do you turkey killers do in those circumstances? 

First, I have never hunted turkeys in snow so I can't help you with that aspect.  I have hunted them in rain but I don't carry a blind or umbrella with me that will keep me dry so I prefer not to hunt if it looks like there will be heavy rain.  I also don't hunt in uphill and downhill scenarios much but the times I have, uphill or downhill hasn't mattered to gobblers that want to meet a new girlfriend.

If I get a turkey that gobbles back at me like you describe, I will consider the kind of gobble it was.  Which involves considering the terrain and cover.  If when a bird gobbles and I can FEEL the gobble in my chest, I sit down right away.  I won't bother with a decoy or trying to hide other than finding a tree to sit against if I can.  If I can feel the gobble as well as hear it, generally that means in the conditions and terrain that I hunt that bird is less than 100 yards away.  If I can't feel the gobble and it is fairly brushy or there is enough vegetation that you could move slowly towards him without spooking him then I would move towards him.  After the second gobble and you getting a response, I likely would have set down there if it sounded like he was heading to you.  Less chance spooking him with movement that way.

I had a gobbler kinda do that to me this season.  He came to me but after his second gobble he went quiet.  I sat still and waited and waited.  Eventually I heard the drumming and saw him strutting.  He never got closer than 80 yards from me but he had found out generally where his girlfriend was and came in quiet and strutting.  He stuck around for about 15 minutes strutting and drumming but when his girlfriend wouldn't come to him, he said buh-bye.  As was also stated, it's also not uncommon for a hen to steal a gobbler.

Sounds like a nice morning though!!