USDA raises CRP acreage limit by 4.0 million and will pay farmers more.

zhtrainer

In 2021 CRP acreage will increase by 4 million. The USDA will also adjust soil rental rates. Will increase payments for practice incentives from 20 to 50%. Increase payments for water quality practices. Establish a CRP grassland minimum rental rate.

Should be good news for farmers and bird hunters across the midwest.

Kansas Big Dog

Yes. And I've read another 2 million acre increase by 2023. Of course none of it will be in KS. So don't plan on more birds here.

With new crop corn at $5.50 per bu, beans at $13.50, and wheat over $7.00...not sure how much traction it will get for next couple of years. 

Fence row to fence row seems the order of the day.

Kansas Bound

Thought I heard the other day July corn contract is $7.  

VizslavsBird

The unknown that has my neighbors and I worried is the possibility of carbon reduction/balancing etc being tied to this CRP offering.  Trying to keep politics out for Brad, but restrictions will affect enrollment.  Lots of promises being made at an international level, easiest to suppress are the smallest voices

2 hours ago, PedroR said:

With new crop corn at $5.50 per bu, beans at $13.50, and wheat over $7.00...not sure how much traction it will get for next couple of years. 

Fence row to fence row seems the order of the day.

I'm no farmer but IMO even though these are the going prices for the various crops.  There's still a risk.  By putting  some into CRP that's aleast guaranteed money. I know a guy that lives in ND he had some land that he really never farmed enrolled in CRP and he was getting a pretty healthy some for idle land.   I dont have a dog in the fight but I'd like to see more land enrolled back in the CRP like most of us bird hunters.

WI Outdoor Nut
58 minutes ago, mccuha said:

I'm no farmer but IMO even though these are the going prices for the various crops.  There's still a risk.  By putting  some into CRP that's aleast guaranteed money. I know a guy that lives in ND he had some land that he really never farmed enrolled in CRP and he was getting a pretty healthy some for idle land.   I dont have a dog in the fight but I'd like to see more land enrolled back in the CRP like most of us bird hunters.

And that is the whole idea.  Take some of the less ideal crop land, be it too steep, prone to erosion or just not good soil, and make it into warm weather grasses.  Good for the soil, the water, the air, and for us, most importantly the BIRDS!

3 hours ago, Kansas Bound said:

Thought I heard the other day July corn contract is $7.  

May corn got to $7 yesterday, high on July corn was $6.84, cause we're running out of old crop. 

New crop dec corn closed 5.46 today.  We all know what the cure for high prices is...

Average 2021 CRP payment for a county in SD I frequent is $126 per acre.  Avg county corn yield is 160 bu per acre at $5 per bu = $800 per acre.  Guessing, not including land, it cost $400 per acre to produce those 160 bushels.  So corn beats CRP by a bunch.

I'm no expert but believe there are increased payment rates for grasslands, wetlands, and a few other dirt classifications.