Anyone else draw a Bighorn Sheep tag 🙂

Treerooster

Excited but not real excited. I drew a unit with not too many sheep and probably no real big rams. Probably why I drew the tag as not that many applications. From that particular unit.

I actually drew this same unit tag 28 years ago. There was a big die off of sheep the winter before my hunt back then and the herd still has not recovered. I was putting in for another unit but decided I am getting a bit old to live up in the high mountains for weeks so I wasn't even going to apply this year.  I am also just not into trophy big game either. Then, on a whim, I thought about that old unit and figured I could still do that as it wasn't too bad for access. Hopefully it will be a fun hunt...if I can find the sheep. Excellent meat too, the best red meat I ever ate.

A week or so ago I threw out the Sheep & Goat pamphlet figuring I wasn't  going to need that anymore. The I got the email that I drew the tag. Only 1 tag in the whole unit.

Back when I hunted the unit I found 5 dead rams and 9 dead ewes. Kept the rams and here is a pic of the rams I found and the minimum curl ram I shot on the last day of the season. I had seen that 1/2 curl ram and passed on him many times. On the last day he was close so I made the stalk and shot him at 85 yards. Between scouting and hunting I spent 34 days up there.

5a4e63d703873_Sheepheadpick-ups.thumb.jpg.7c9aee10e86d1b29d80466f75f9dcdd8.jpg

The 7/8 curl ram I found first and had started to clean it up. That is why it is so white. On the others you can see the hide still on them.

IsThisHeaven?

Great tag. Congratulations! Please keep us posted. 

Matt

watermen

Awesome tag in this day and age.  congrats.

NH Jay

I am excited for you! Glad you drew the tag and I have to imagine there is some interest in being able to compare the area and animals to what you experienced 28 years ago. Being the only tag for the unit, if there is a big one you won’t have the competition. Good luck, will definitely be following this hunt vicariously through you.

Is this a Colorado tag Gary?  Im sure you will enjoy the hunt whether  you get a legal ram or not.   Best of luck.   

😀Looks like a professional tree man stacked that firewood for you in the picture?  😀

On 5/4/2021 at 10:00 AM, NH Jay said:

I am excited for you! Glad you drew the tag and I have to imagine there is some interest in being able to compare the area and animals to what you experienced 28 years ago. Being the only tag for the unit, if there is a big one you won’t have the competition. Good luck, will definitely be following this hunt vicariously through you.

Yes it will be interesting to see if the sheep are in the same areas I found them in years ago. From the very preliminary scouting In have done they appear to be using the same area which will certainly help me in my hunt. However the numbers are down even more from when I hunted back in 1993. I think the wildlife officer said there only was about 30 to 35 sheep in the whole unit. In 2017 & 2018 a 3/4 curl & 7/8 curl were killed. In 2019 & 2020 no rams were taken.

I may be the "right guy" for this hunt as my aspirations to harvest a trophy ram have faded with my age. Now I am happy just to go hunt sheep and maybe get some of the best wild meat out there. 

On 5/5/2021 at 5:49 AM, mister grouse said:

Is this a Colorado tag Gary?  Im sure you will enjoy the hunt whether  you get a legal ram or not.   Best of luck.   

😀Looks like a professional tree man stacked that firewood for you in the picture?  😀

Yes a Colorado tag. Season runs Sept 7 to Oct 7. I don't have enough interest in Bighorn Sheep hunting to try for a non-res tag. Heck the $320 I spent on the resident tag was pretty steep IMO. 🙂 And besides...this will cut into my bird hunting enough, couldn't take an out of state sheep hunt taking up THAT much away from birds. 🙃