A fox in a tree

KCrowley

Gray foxes are so cool because they can climb trees like a cat. They have semi-retractable claws and sometimes even den in trees. I waited at an underground den site for 21 days trying to get a photo of one of three kits in a tree. Sometimes they would dart out of the den, run up a tree trunk and dart right back down into the den. It was often frustrating, but also completely worth the effort because I got to see some wonderful animal behavior when the adults returned to feed them, and when they were left alone to play around by themselves. And this photo of one kit in a crabapple tree ended up on the cover of Our Wisconsin magazine, too.

.94889335_10220081141431871_3671290009706561536_n.thumb.jpg.9152a105b5732ecbcf94ecd70d1a3e95.jpg

Planning and patience pay off.  Very nice photo.

Fire Marshal Bill

The photos you post are just outstanding!!! We get to see the fruits of your labor. Thank you. 

MAArcher

Awesome picture.  21 days?  That's serious determination!

I heard here in the north east their tree climbing ability is saving them from the coyotes which is why we see so many more grays than reds now.

The closest I've come to being killed by a wild animal was a grey fox.  I was predator calling one evening in a small patch of woods in an industrial park and was hidden in a pile of boulders.  Well without me knowing it a grey fox snuck up behind me and stood on the rock directly above my head, like less than two feet from my head to the fox's.   That thing let out the most ungodly noise right in my ear I thought I was going to have a stroke right there.  My heart almost exploded from my chest. I was so shaken I missed the chip shot he gave me when he stopped and looked back at 30 yards.  My chest seriously hurt it scared me so bad.  

If you've never heard a grey fox vocalize, play this video and turn your speakers up loud before it reaches 37 seconds.  Its such a horrible noise I don't really even know what to call it.

KCrowley

A few more images from my time at the gray fox den.

GR_FOX_IMGL4378.thumb.jpg.567fb30d24d7921ba5ec216de332aef1.jpg

GR_FOX_IMGL2968.thumb.jpg.67b90463953ed377d6d7327ee2ab41cc.jpg

GR_FOX_IMG_8910.thumb.jpg.8435f17b938eec62d494c304974f14ed.jpg

RuffChaser

Nice images. I wasn't aware they could climb trees but I guess it doesn't surprise me. I will have to try and find them but I was driving along an old country road and saw a fox mother (red I think) nursing her kits just 8-10 feet off the road late one evening. Still plenty of good light. I was shocked it was happening right out in the open considering the kits didn't look to be all that old.

Sage Hen

You've done it again KC. Thank you.

Those are prize winning photos for sure, great job.