Home delivery difficulties?

topdog1961

Anyone else having trouble with home deliveries from UPS, FedEx, Amazon, (and increasingly no name companies) due to your dogs?  Prior to the Covid explosion in home delivery, we had pretty regular drivers who knew my dogs were friendly and some even brought treats and took a moment to pet them.  

Now, it seems like anyone with 4 wheels (soon 2?) and a very limited amount of English can be a delivery driver. I had one show up with an Amazon package the other day in an unmarked small car, dressed in street clothes. Add that they are even delivering after dark now makes for a confusing and potentially dangerous situation in rural America. 

Now, the same person never seems to show up twice. Many of them sit out on the road and call, refusing to get out of their vehicle if the dogs are loose. If I’m not home to put them up, no amount of telling will convince them my GSP and 16 yo Britt are friendly. Between my business and our household needs, I get deliveries many days, so keeping the dogs up all day while we are away is not an option. 

Mike da Carpenter

As with everything in life...you have today what you tolerated yesterday.

It seems as though the world is getting lazier.  People, like you mentioned, are getting rewarded instead of reprimanded, and the ones going above and beyond are getting reprimanded instead of rewarded.  

I’ll just leave it at that to prevent me from going off on a tantrum and stroking out.

I had a USPS package that was refused delivery for an unknown reason... I suspect it's because Emmit was in the yard at the time.  even though the normal mailman isn't afraid of him. 

There's at least one Amazon driver that sometimes delivers that is scared shitless of dogs..... but I have spoken to her and she just leaves the package at the end of the driveway and beeps the horn. 

UPS just destroyed one of my packages and left it on the front porch. Thanks

I can't win with any of them lately... but the USPS is by far the worst offender. 

Speaks

Have not had any trouble due to dogs as mine are in the house or a fenced in back yard. But I can say that delivery consistency is not what it was 2 years ago, but that is to be reasonably expected. Where I am it has been pretty good overall, I would say USPS and UPS have been very good, Amazon is hit or miss. 

But in fairness volume is higher than ever before. 

WI Outdoor Nut

Hum - I guess we are not the norm.  For the most part, we don't have issues.  I have 2 or 3 amazon people who deliver on a regular basis.  Same with Fed Ex.  Don't get much from UPS man.  Dogs bark, they walk down, no issues.  

Tim Frazier

I don’t know that you have the right to tell them they need to take the time to feel out the situation with your individual dogs if they are loose and in between their vehicle and where the package needs delivered. I think things have changed on both sides and we now feel entitled that our situation is special and they should trust “our dogs”.  Most delivery companies could never afford insurance if they didn’t have strict policies on this.  

Our dogs are in the house, in their kennels or out with us.  No delivery problems.  

I also find it odd that we want to put down the working man/woman if they are not who we want them to be but we defend others who sit on their fat asses and collect unemployment while businesses can’t find workers.  

Even before covid I was having issues with the USPS they would not deliver a package that was on the truck they would just say that the "resident requested a hold" I even had them do it while I was standing in the yard and they could see me.  The driver was just to lazy to get out of the vehicle and hand it to me.  I get a daily notice from USPS with a pic of the mail being delivered that day so I know what is coming.  Everyone else has been fine with delivery's

I'm not judging anyone's dogs or their local delivery drivers but I'll offer something that may cause some to consider a different perspective. My late father was a mailman. In 29 years of delivering mail on foot he was bitten by 16 dogs. Most were not serious but one was very bad requiring many stitches. That one wasn't just a bite but an attack. In spite of all that he still liked dogs, some owners not so much.

1 hour ago, Tim Frazier said:

I don’t know that you have the right to tell them they need to take the time to feel out the situation with your individual dogs if they are loose and in between their vehicle and where the package needs delivered. I think things have changed on both sides and we now feel entitled that our situation is special and they should trust “our dogs”.  Most delivery companies could never afford insurance if they didn’t have strict policies on this.  

Our dogs are in the house, in their kennels or out with us.  No delivery problems.  

I also find it odd that we want to put down the working man/woman if they are not who we want them to be but we defend others who sit on their fat asses and collect unemployment while businesses can’t find workers.  

I was merely commenting that I’ve never had difficulty with deliveries in 25 years here, now I do, and was asking if others are seeing the same thing. Neither my dogs, myself, or my home has changed. Something else has, and that’s the quality and consistency of the delivery drivers. 

When companies are sending people in unmarked sedans, wearing no form of ID, to pull into my driveway and enter my buildings after dark, something is wrong with the picture. 

Seems like there are more “contract” drivers delivering for the various companies and there are not as many company route drivers as there has been in the past. Regular route drivers knew the customers as well as the dogs and in most  most cases accommodated the idiosyncrasies on a case by case basis. That relationship is hard to establish without consistent contact. I imagine you’ll see more delays and inconsistencies in the days ahead with the demand continuing and the labor pool narrowing.

Keeping dogs out of the equation I've never had a problem with getting deliveries from FedEx, UPS or USPS. If I'm expecting a UPS delivery - especially one that requires  a signature - I pretty much know the delivery route and if I see the truck at another delivery I'll wait till that's completed and pick up the package right off the truck . Also on the day before such a signature required package I've even given my cell phone number to the driver and the next morning he'll call - " I'll be at Meijer's Gas Station about  9 A.M. meet me there to pick up your package.  "  WOW ! My USPS mail lady is great. If I'm off in the U.P. for an extended bird hunt and my mail box is filling up then through pre-arrangement she'll gladly pull up to the stoop at my side door and put my mail in a "hidden" plastic bin - again she seems glad to do it and of course she gets a Christmas card every year with...$$ .  FedEx - no real personal interaction with drivers but packages are always delivered on the day they say it will be delivered. 

Amazon in all its venues can stick it as far as I'm concerned -  "Amazon prohibits the listing or sale of all firearms, including assault weapons, black powder guns, handguns, muzzleloaders, shotguns, rifles, and starter guns."

Ruger 1

My mail carrier has actually placed a orange paw sticker on my mailbox indicating there’s a dog that lives here. I’m not sure who it’s for. He has interacted with Rocky and knows he’s friendly. It may be for his substitute carrier or other delivery drivers. 

1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

I was merely commenting that I’ve never had difficulty with deliveries in 25 years here, now I do, and was asking if others are seeing the same thing. Neither my dogs, myself, or my home has changed. Something else has, and that’s the quality and consistency of the delivery drivers. 

When companies are sending people in unmarked sedans, wearing no form of ID, to pull into my driveway and enter my buildings after dark, something is wrong with the picture. 

In thier place, I wouldn't deliver either.  No upside for them as friendly dogs are often not.  If I had a dollar for every person that got bit by a "friendly" dog, I would be typing this from the drawing room of a palatial estate with a fine view of the pool and my Instagram model girlfriend instead of the kitchen table.

As far as the unmarked cars, no ID and off hours delivery, I would take my business elsewhere rather than tolerate that level of service.

14 minutes ago, co_setter said:

As far as the unmarked cars, no ID and off hours delivery, I would take my business elsewhere rather than tolerate that level of service.

when you order something from Amazon, and most other companies, you don’t really have a choice who delivers it. I’ve seen it come USPS, UPS, Fed-Ex, Official Amazon Prime Drivers, and more recently, these unmarked contract drivers. They seem to have the least amount of rules to follow, and experience.