Hal Standish

Right of the bat 8:04am nab this lil guy 36-38in 

Cinco De Mayo Musky, 4 LM's and Musky fun day figuring out where they were. Hit the big guy at 8:04 am Been a good two weeks the toothy are coming out Pike and Musky. Will go Musky hunting again tomorrow, different lake. I got to check it out. Cannot catch'em if your not out there.

Hal

8 hours ago, Geoff Roznak said:

Nice fish...but silly question:  Isn't Cinco De Mayo the 5th of May?  😉

Right on Geoff. Celebrating that famous Irish Holiday all week. Have two other Musky lakes to hit Today and Tomorrow in honor of the great Irish-Mexican revolution.

I failed to mention,that lil guy was Musky number 50 in the last 4 years. depending on weather will go put the hurt on Bass and Pike later this week.

Hal

4 hours ago, Curt said:

Nice fish, you are trolling with that bucktail?

Yes sir Curt. Bucktails are a great way to strain the shallows running over the top of weed beds for a lot of different fish. This particular fish was in 6 fow I had about 45 ft of 80lb braid out trolling at 4 mph. I usually run at 3.3 to 4.5 some where in that range of speed. I might add that the last 5 out of 7 Musky i have caught I using Bucktails of some sort

Hal

1 hour ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Black and orange mepps bucktail is what I caught my biggest, 48", 32#'s.  

Very nice fish there to start the year.  

Have a Mepps red and white that has caught Pike and Bass. Great color for a bright high sky day.

Black and orange is a dark color i use on cloudy days. Simple way to pick color is "dark days dark colors bright days bright colors, neutral colors any time".

Caught another Musky today different lake video posted.

Going to put the hurt on Pike and Bass tomorrow.

Hal

3 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Black and orange mepps bucktail is what I caught my biggest, 48", 32#'s.  

Very nice fish there to start the year.  

I have two a nudge over 48"; one on a Strike King Smokin' Rooster, the other on a Doctor Spoon.

Bunches of them in the 40s, I don't keep a log, but a bunch more on the Smokin' Rooster, some on a #5 Mepps, some more on the Doctor Spoon, and the rest on flies.

The Smokin' Rooster has been discontinued by Strike King, so I'm making my own now, in 5" like they did, and a never seen before 10", and in musky/pike colors they never tried either.

2 hours ago, Hal Standish said:

Black and orange is a dark color i use on cloudy days.

That can be a killer combo over here, on any water connected to the Chippewa River.

Oddly, black and green works too.

14 hours ago, Hal Standish said:

Right on Geoff. Celebrating that famous Irish Holiday all week. Have two other Musky lakes to hit Today and Tomorrow in honor of the great Irish-Mexican revolution.

I failed to mention,that lil guy was Musky number 50 in the last 4 years. depending on weather will go put the hurt on Bass and Pike later this week.

Hal

I have to think back...I seem to run right about 20/year...last year was 18, 2019 was 19 (hard to forget 19 in '19), 2018 and 2017 were both 22, and 2016 was 24.

...and before anyone over-reacts, nowhere near all of those fish were large ones.  one of the 24 in 2016 was 9"... 😄

4 hours ago, Hal Standish said:

Yes sir Curt. Bucktails are a great way to strain the shallows running over the top of weed beds for a lot of different fish. This particular fish was in 6 fow I had about 45 ft of 80lb braid out trolling at 4 mph. I usually run at 3.3 to 4.5 some where in that range of speed. I might add that the last 5 out of 7 Musky i have caught I using Bucktails of some sort

Hal

They are effective, I use them myself but usually casting, haven't tried trolling with them.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

They are effective, I use them myself but usually casting, haven't tried trolling with them.

I do the same.  I lack the patience to troll.

17 hours ago, Geoff Roznak said:

I do the same.  I lack the patience to troll.

I always get a kick out of that when you tell the world "You do not have the patience for trolling" It's fishing man, patience is the key to some form of success.

I as well really dislike water flogging, I have the patience I just donot go to the cast very often.

Hal

1 hour ago, Hal Standish said:

I always get a kick out of that when you tell the world "You do not have the patience for trolling" It's fishing man, patience is the key to some form of success.

I as well really dislike water flogging, I have the patience I just donot go to the cast very often.

Hal

😄

It's a genuine personality flaw - I can't do that kind of thing, I get twitchy, and impatient, and edgy in a hurry.

Some thing with all the forms of hunting that involve sitting - no ducks, geese, turkeys, doves...deer...and the forms of fishing that require sitting and jigging - no walleye, or deep summer smallies either...I can sorta deal with nymphing for trout if there's a decent bite, but I loose interest fast if there's not and will will start chucking streamers pretty quickly.

I'm not wired for that and I doubt I ever will be...I learned to deal with it a long time ago.

There's nothing wrong with trolling, it's an effective way to catch fish, and it takes a lot of skill to get good at it...I'm just not going to do it.