Dog Yard...When your dogs are outside what are they in?

quailguy

We have a 40x30 ft 6 ft high chain link fenced enclosure with the fence buried a foot down to prevent digging out. The fence is outside what I call my Rio Medina room (as in sunny South Texas.)

DSCN3322

Madeline pointing turkeys just outside the dog fence

IMG_3674

Inside the "Rio Medina" room, dog door on side wall. And yes, she stays inside her fence, even indoors. She is a very well behaved girl. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Felix

• MAArcher

• Greg Hartman

• WPG Gizmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I live in the suburbs with a fairly narrow but long backyard. I put up a 3 rail fence and stapled a green coated wire fence inside it. From any distance at all, it just looks like a split rail fence. 

"When your dogs are outside what are they in?"   Usually in my way.    

I live in the woods. Ive never had a fenced in area at the old place or this one. The old place was a problem since we were close to a road, but we are quite a ways from the gravel town road now and n

Posted Images

atticus

I have an E-fence around most of our couple acres.  We are also kind of rural—end of a cul de sac surrounded by a WMA and neighbors 100+- yards away. The setters obey the fence even when chasing something—deer, bears, coyotes, etc., out of the yard. One of the best investments we ever made. When we aren’t home they are in the house. 

Radley starts fence lessons in 2 weeks. 

Randy S

I have a fenced back yard including a 14' x 4' chain link kennel with concrete and dog house. I generally leave the kennel gate open in case we forget the mutt is out there and she needs shelter.  It's nice having the kennel for times when we want to relax in the backyard and need a break from Chaos's constant demands for attention. Then my office, where she spends most of her time and nights, has a man door to the garage and then the back yard. I'll often leave the man door from the garage to yard blocked open so I only have to let her out the office door. 

nobirdshere

City house is completely fenced in and grouse house:

20180707_183359.jpg

20180909_083155 (2).jpg

Larry Brown

When we bought our current house in the WI North Woods, there was a door off the dining nook that led . . . nowhere except about a 6 foot fall.  We had a small deck built out there.  Fenced in a small area surrounding it.  We don't leave the dogs out there a lot.  They're inside most of the time.  But we have wolves up here.  Haven't seen any close to the house, but I wouldn't be comfortable letting them out for early morning or night time potty trips and just letting them wander.  They haven't managed to kill all the grass in the potty pen.

• 3 weeks later...

Setters for 20 years just lots of time walking property lines and saying “No”.   Neither even goes on pavement without a leash.  None have chased the deer.  

OldSarge

I just tell mine to “stay in the yard”. They have about a 60 yard perimeter around the house that they patrol. I enforced it early on with a collar, but they haven’t needed that for years. Now I just use a recall whistle. Here a pic of the dog yard. 

4971E26F-5F0E-4F5D-BDAD-8A249C085A71.jpeg

FF5A8E37-CA57-4F1A-8E34-E74D457B8129.jpeg

ckfowler180

1.5 acres with 4’ farm fence. Ran electric wire too and bottom to prevent diggers and climbers but not turned on currently. I have two kennel runs with boxes in the barn that are left open so they can get in there or under the deck to get out of sun or rain but the let us sleep in their king sized bed😀

Ben Hong
On 5/11/2021 at 11:20 AM, Jacksdad said:

Our back yard is fenced.  Had it done a month after we got Oliver and for us it was part of the cost of a dog.  About 120' x  100' or so.  Wasn't cheap but haven't regretted it one bit.  This is the best pic i could find on my phone.

fence.jpg

20 (?)years ago I got a BGE and built the same table for it.

As for fencing I put up a 6' X 36' X  30' with an "air-lock" passage from house to pen. Dogs don't come in if they are muddy. As for ground materials, I seeded hard Timothy hay (1/2 ) and the other half gets river run gravel, smooth half to 1.5 inch pebbles. Easy on doggy feet, clean dust free and great drainage. Inside the penned area is a large 2 chambered insulated dog house with heat lamp and an ice-free water bucket. Sounds like I am a doggy survivalist! Everything got used at least twice in 20 years!!!

Now I have only one dog (real homebody golden) the fenced area has been downsized.

An E-fence around two acres.  We've had it about five years and it's been great.

fourtrax57

Fenced in area of about a 300 ft. perimeter. Long and narrow.20210526_120204.thumb.jpg.5e3b1c8c609c7b685f6af2def3ac9255.jpg