RATTLE SNAKE MEAT

Upland_Hunter

Has anyone ever ate rattle snake meat? What does it taste like? Can it be purchased in specality food stores?

The only rattlesnake meat I have ever had was at a Boy Scout Order Of The Arrow National Conference about 50+ years ago.  It tasted good but nothing to write home about.  

VizslavsBird

Multiple times.  If you have to compare to a meat everyone has eaten, then I guess chicken breast.

I have ways had it battered and fried like chicken.  Not much meat, lots of bones.

Never purchased, always wild shot.  It's a novelty,,, and the uniqueness is long gone.

DDFire99

It ranks up there with mountain lion for me. Not something I particularly care for. I’ve had it fried (tasted more like the oil and batter) and cooked over mesquite coals. I just killed a decent size one at the bottom of my drive way.  Had a big pack rat in it. I can’t imagine anything that eats pack rats, tasting very good!

Danibeth

I've had it.  Lotsa bones.  Don't remember disliking it and I remember going back for more.  

The mountain lion I've had was very , very good too.....

grouse28

Reminded me of fishy chicken. Not worth the trouble of preparing for the amount of meat.

Mountain Lion loin with sauerkraut, fine eating!

Bobcat stir fry is good also.

1971snipe

I've eaten it once, at a restaurant near Phoenix years ago, and that's all I remember.  I can't say now if it was fried or grilled or whatever.  

If I was to try to prepare one myself, I'd de-bone it and make a sauce piquant such as done with logger head turtles, and serve with rice.  

browndrake

I've had it a few times.  It can be pretty good but most people dry it out when they cook it.

As a couple people have commented on cougar, I find it very good eating and nothing like rattle snake. I cook it just like I do pork loing: I sear the backstraps on a very hot grill then slow cook it....and it tastes almost identical to the pork loins.

Speaks

No intention to ever eat a snake. Gator is damn good though

Spiller

Never had it...

But once when I was traveling in Mexico I went to an off the beaten path cantina that had some "moonshine tequila" for sale...i.e. the homemade stuff.

Behind the bar there was this big five gallon glass jug that was in a water cooler  and there were a couple of rattlesnakes that were pickled inside of it swimming around all coiled around each other in the tequila.  

The bartender would go over and dispense some of the tequila from the spigot into a shot glass.

The rattlesnakes were suspended inside and there were Christmas lights decorated all around it......

Muy Macho...... 

Never eaten it and never had the desire to do so! Years ago on a wild fire in Thompson Falls, working the line on the night shift, we came back into camp after shift and there was a dead rattler on one of the guys sleeping bags with a note from one of the crews working the day shift. They found the rattler warming on the crew members bag and killed it for him. He skinned it, built a fire pit and, skewered the meat and cooked it over the coals. He offered me some, but even in my early 20's,  I had no desire to try it! I don't think I slept much that day, thinking a rattlesnake would slither into my sleeping bag with me in it!

mister grouse

Closest taste-like comparison  of rattlesnake , to me, is frog legs. Skinned and chunked and battered and fried like frog legs it is very comparable in taste.  To me anyway.  No fat on it .  All muscle.  I did not find it to be tough.  But it is not flaky either.

Mike da Carpenter

When I was stationed in Southern New Mexico, I quickly learned that if you stay in the barracks, you get to have lots of fun cleaning stuff.  So I went out driving on the missile range to explore.  Found that about sundown the paved roads would attract the snakes.  I’m assuming it was the warmth they were seeking.  Well, I dug into it and found I could make a few $$$ if I were to “catch” them.  Wont get into my methods, but they weren’t caught alive I’ll just say.

I’d get more money if I skinned them myself (I actually paid attention to the taxidermist to see how he skinned them and adopted his ways).  Now I was left with a LOT of skinned snakes and I hate to waste anything.  

Got a hold of some Southern boys in the barracks and we developed a way to cook them.  

We weren’t allowed cooking privileges inside the building, but we could use a grill and small deep fryer outside.  Once one of the cooks at the chow hall found out what we were up to, he got involved.  Actually turned into a good team building event.  

Cant say it was awesome meat, but the memories I gained from eating it were spectacular.  I would compare it to chicken and or dry frog legs.

SelbyLowndes

I try not to eat strange foods.  I'm a beef, pork, chicken, lamb, and fish kind of guy.  I did try canned rattlesnake one time.  It didn't make any impression I remember...SelbyLowndes

Mike Connally

I shared a rattlesnake with friends on a backpacking trip when I was a kid. 
Rattlesnake does not taste like chicken. 
It tastes like rattlesnake. 
There is absolutely no reason to ever eat one if there are any other options.