Flying with a puppy?

It's your "support pup", it can sit on your lap like a Support Peacock, or Support PotBellyPig or Support Pony, right?

Scott Berg
2 hours ago, chilly460 said:

The dog is located in West Texas so I’m thinking shipping won’t be an option in August 

United / Continental has a summer program with no heat restrictions.  The dogs are taken to and from the plane in air conditioned vans and they are not allowed to sit on the tarmac.  Unfortunately, United / Continental has not shipped dogs during the pandemic.  Perhaps they will be back flying pets soon. 

The only airline shipping dogs right now is American unless this has changed very recently. DFW is an American hub but it's highly unlikely you will get a pup out of there in August due to heat.  Over the last year, we have had numerous people fly in and some took a return flight home with the pup in the cabin and some have rented cars and driven back.

I went from Newfoundland to Saskatoon to pick up my Brittany Molly. As suggested above, I had a small collapsible crate that fitted under the seat in front along with a package of “pee papers”, don’t remember the actual name but they were good as a liner.  I was also advised by someone who had done it before that the family bathrooms common in airports can be locked and provide a place for the puppy to do its business on the pee paper. It worked perfectly and was an easy clean up at each stop.

On Air Canada at least, and at that time, people with animals could preboard with the “infants and small children” so I did that. I had a booked a window seat for all three flights and was seated before my seat mates arrived. In all three cases they didn’t know there was a dog there until the end of the flight and I pulled the crate out. On one flight she whimpered a bit but quietly and it was easy to put a hand down so she could have a sniff.

D516B7EF-BF26-424E-B70B-87A6397AD35C.jpeg

shoot-straight

Went and got my new PP about a year ago (March2020)  Did a thread on the experience. I did My homework and it went fine. Southwest.

marysburg

I have flown several times with pups in soft carriers on the floor in the cabin.  Never had a problem.  It's better than a three day drive for the pup.  The idea of using newspapers on the floor of the family washrooms is a good one.  I have done that every time, and it gives you somewhere to let the pup run around a bit.  Great advice about using puppy pee pads as absorbent liner for carrier crate; much better than an old towel.  That shot of the Brittany pup in the carrier makes me want another one.  Pups in airports are definitely attention getters.

• 3 weeks later...
ckfowler180

Prospective buyer in Vancouver tells me the flights he has researched want the pup to be 12 weeks old to fly but not sure if that is cargo or in cabin. Kinda worried that a 12 week old setter pup won’t fit under a seat with 8” height per sites. 

Tell him to rent two seats for the return trip.  Gus wanted a window.

DSCN0143.thumb.JPG.58f31ff2252a031adc6242b3a874e8a8.JPG

Edited by BrentD
chilly460

After careful consideration, and canning some other plans that frees up a vacation day....I'm going to fly out and just drive the pup back.  No small part of the decision is that it'll allow me to see Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama, I've only driven through them at night on the way to the Sugar Bowl a long time ago.  There will be a lot of research into the best bbq joints along the route.