Share your shartptail recipe

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Looking for good ways to cook these birds.  My favored so far is marinaded in red wine for a few days them wrapped in bacon with cheese on top. cooked over a open fire. My problem is I need a healthy   way to cook them. at least forgo the bacon and cheese or i will not be able to walk the long miles need this fall.

I cut up the breast in small pieces about like the first joint of your thumb, like steak tips. Fry hot in butter, rare, and A1 steak sauce. Or kabobs, small pieces with pineapple & dill pickle chunks, pink onion, and a dash of barbecue sauce. Nickel sized pieces of bacon on the kabob are good too. You want sharptails served rare.

Clueless1

No recipes to share but boy am I envious.  I have no worries that the number of birds I kill each year will add to my waistline, no matter how I cook them.😒

bennelli-banger

Marinate the breasts in zesty Italian dressing...hour or two...grill to rare, season with Montreal steak seasoning...or salt and pepper...let them rest for 5 minutes...amazing!!! Especially if young birds...older birds we make poppers out of...red pepper, piece of pepperoni, roll it up, bacon wrap, grill....mmmm!   Hearts are great fried after dusting in flour or shire  lunch!!!! Dip in creamy horseradish!!!

Time for my broken record contribution, this one always turns out great.  We get a La Brea Bakery sourdough loaf that toasts perfectly to complete the flavor and texture profile of the meal.  I usually double the wine sauce or get close to double for those (me) who like it that way.

sharptailrecipe001.JPG

bennelli-banger
2 minutes ago, kgb said:

Time for my broken record contribution, this one always turns out great.  We get a La Brea Bakery sourdough loaf that toasts perfectly to complete the flavor and texture profile of the meal.  I usually double the wine sauce or get close to double for those (me) who like it that way.

sharptailrecipe001.JPG

That stopped me in my tracks...🤪

Bluegill68
31 minutes ago, kgb said:

I have been using this same recipe “same book”. Since the early 90s it is great! 

mister grouse

It is hard to beat hot dog sized filets cut longways from the sharptail breast, barber-poled with thin bacon and  toothpicked at each end, salted and peppered, cooked over a really hot grill for maybe a 2-3 minute turn, just enough to cook the bacon thoroughly.  Rare at most, and never beyond medium rare.  Cooked this method in bird camps for decades.  Never had a leftover. 

Debone the high bone above the knee, bacon wrap barberpole and there will be no leftovers on the legs either.

Skybuster

Still a work in progress... love this bird for the spectacular habitat, challenge, and dining experience:

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

Ben Hong

The sharptail is about as close to the domestic chicken as one can get. Treat it exactly like chicken. Delicious.

dogrunner

I cooked a couple yesterday. I used this but also try many other light dustings of Shore lunch type mixes. I pan fry in Ghee or butter, I don’t really care for them as much when bbq, seem to dry out quick. 

381F31D2-CFFA-43C0-AD4F-6BFA4C7843DB.jpeg

F9C65941-D1B7-49C8-8C0E-F0793A170B94.jpeg

bigjohnsd

I'm of the marinate in Zesty Italian school myself. 

I pound them to a uniform thickness first, then marinate in a gallon ziplock for 24 hours.

Sometimes I'll add a few lemon slices tot he bag.

Grill over a hot fire until just medium rare, no more.

They make a great entree this way or served cold on a crusty bread roll slathered with mayonnaise.

I used to hear "Sharptail, I don't eat no stinkin' Sharptail!"

Not anymore.

• Four sharptail breasts, pounded 3/4 inch thick

• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

• 1 small shallot, minced

• 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 pound button mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick

• 1/4 cup Cognac or other brandy

• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

• 1/4 cup heavy cream

• 1/4 cup beef stock or chicken

• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

• 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions

• 1 teaspoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

• Hot sauce, such as Tabasco

Instructions

Step 1

In a large skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil. Season the meat with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until lightly browned on the bottom, about 2 minute. Turn the sharptail breast  and cook for 1 minute longer, then transfer to a plate and tent with foil.

Step 2

Add the shallot and garlic to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the Cognac and carefully ignite it with a long match. When the flames die down, add the mustard and cream and stir over moderate heat for 1 minute. Whisk in the stock, Worcestershire sauce, scallions and parsley and season with salt, pepper and hot sauce.

Step 3

Add the meat and any accumulated juices to the saucepan and turn to coat. Simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Transfer the meat to plates, spoon the sauce on top and serve.

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Thanks for all the ideas , i working on trying a few of these.