Drought - Nesting Conditions

Alaskan Swamp Collie

Back to the point , yesterday's drought monitor looks real crappy for ND and eastern MT, also not great for SD. Nebraska and Kansas look okay, I know that is not the whole story but it is a significant part of it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Westksbowhunter

• Randy S

• GeorgeE

• Spin

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carry over hay is like insurance but sometimes that hay can be sold and replaced with cheaper CRP.  What bugs me is every farm group opposes CRP programs but they are the first to beg cutting hay on i

Don't forget the drought resistant and short season engineered corn. Also the ever increasing price of a bushel,  currently $6.7925 a bushel.   I used to own a Shell gas station/convenience

In May it looked like we might see an increase in Pheasants in SD, with the drought I'm guessing it will not come to fruition, especially if the CRP, what little remains, is released for haying.  What

Posted Images

Chief Paduke

Well hell, I’m convinced. I think I’ll borrow a couple million and buy a farm, another million for some equipment, another million for livestock, and cash in on the easy money. 

On 6/10/2021 at 8:29 PM, h20fwler said:

You say "Not to argue" but then go right on ahead with it?

I think US farmers can claim to be feeding the USA, farmers in other countries can worry about their own.

Your chemical statement is just not true.

Yes, farmers do pay lots of taxes...no need to be jealous or hateful of farmers.   They perform a service for the people that no one can survive without regardless of your biases. 

Yes they do in general and many around here work side jobs to boot but there are also some that are not good stewards or neighbors and do as they please regardless of the consequences to others or the degradation even of their own holdings.

In my own location some have been major malefactors that caused very serious pollution of ground water sources that had very serious effects and they were aware of what they were doing and it's wide spread damage. I am aware that this was not everyone working the land. Far from it but it was enough. Industry is also an offender to be sure but the "what about those guys" excuse just doesn't cut it and frankly I think we should all be sick of hearing it.

I think US farmers can claim to be feeding the USA, farmers in other countries can worry about their own.

Yes, farmers do pay lots of taxes...no need to be jealous or hateful of farmers.   They perform a service for the people that no one can survive without regardless of your biases. 

Yes they do in general and many around here work side jobs to boot but there are also some that are not good stewards or neighbors and do as they please regardless of the consequences to others or the degradation even of their own holdings.

In my own location some have been major malefactors that caused very serious pollution of ground water sources that had very serious effects and they were aware of what they were doing and it's wide spread damage.

I am aware that this was not everyone who is working the land. Far from it but it was enough. Industry is also an offender to be sure but the "what about those guys" excuse just doesn't cut it and frankly I think we should all be sick of hearing it.

In my own location some have been major malefactors that caused very serious pollution of ground water sources that had very serious effects and they were aware of what they were doing and it's wide spread damage.

I am aware that this was not everyone who is working the land. Far from it but it was enough. Industry is also an offender to be sure but the "what about those guys" excuse just doesn't cut it and frankly I think we should all be sick of hearing it.

GeorgeE

Didn’t ND get a storm yesterday, last nite?  

bennelli-banger
1 hour ago, GeorgeE said:

Didn’t ND get a storm yesterday, last nite?  

Yes...severe.   E/NE MT as well.

Alaskan Swamp Collie
8 hours ago, bennelli-banger said:

Yes...severe.   E/NE MT as well.

Well, dang the drought monitor might look better, but a real lousy time for severe weather.

Hal Standish
On 6/6/2021 at 6:23 AM, Hal Standish said:

No... Scary dry is when Idaho starts buying water from the Great lakes states. 

I notice last night the drive by media made note of the drought in Idaho and North Dakota..Maybe yous guys can still make a deal for Great Lakes water before the price is up there with..oh i do not know plywood and 2x6's

Hal

Larry Brown

The too wet/too dry thing depends on geography.  In Iowa, there are far more years when it's too wet (and often too cold as well) for good nesting conditions.  Too dry is seldom an issue.  The only season I can think of when dry weather was a factor was 1988, when we had a 100 year drought.  All the CRP was either cut for hay or grazed that year, which made hunting conditions tough.  But in 89, the CRP came back in even better shape.  

Once you get west of Iowa, into the part of the Great Plains where they get less rain to start with, too dry is more likely to be a problem.  It doesn't interfere with nesting (like having nests washed out when it's really wet), but the chicks won't survive without bugs.  They need the protein.  If you're not seeing grasshoppers when you go to the Grasslands for an early prairie grouse hunt, good luck finding many birds.

co_setter
On 6/9/2021 at 9:50 PM, h20fwler said:

And yet the farmers feed the world................

And also pay huge tax bills.......................

The old "I own millions of dollars worth of land and I can't believe that I owe taxes" discussion

Eastern Montana got slammed with a couple of serious storm fronts in the last week.  Although there was lots of rain it was mixed with lots of hail and wind.  Not good for the broods.  Here in central Montana nothing.  It’s the driest I’ve seen it in several years.  Lots of bugs though.   

GeorgeE
On 6/12/2021 at 11:48 AM, Big Al said:

Eastern Montana got slammed with a couple of serious storm fronts in the last week.  Although there was lots of rain it was mixed with lots of hail and wind.  Not good for the broods.  Here in central Montana nothing.  It’s the driest I’ve seen it in several years.  Lots of bugs though.   

Saw that…If it’s not one thing, it’s another!  😑

It's 104 degrees today and dusty in Utah. We had almost no winter. It has been the driest year and a half I have ever seen in my 50 years. We had two rain storms this spring in some places that I hope will grow a little cover. In some places there has been no rain and nothing has grown. Maybe there is hope in the high country, but I am not optimistic about the hatch.