• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• River19

• Brad Eden

• jeff88

• chilly460

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The demo they are after wouldn’t know how to work a standard transmission if their life depended on it. Is my guess.

I think you're spot on there.....but, I dated this girl in high school that drove a red Maverick.....for some reason the moniker brings back fond memories

Brad I'm not bustin on you as this isn't your ad.......but as someone who has played in bands for many moons.... this is kinda silly.   Here's what I see when I look at this ad:  

Posted Images

A friend works for Ford corporate and has been excited about this for over a year now. Looks nicer than expected.

Brad Eden

Smart move by Ford. Some competition for the Honda Ridgeline, and all the other PU trucks that never see 4WD. Apparently that $19.9k price tag is for a bare bones front wheel version. AWD with amenities will be significantly higher priced. 

chilly460

Pretty surprising they'd launch a third size of truck, but I guess the market will bear it as there have to be folks out there that want the utility of the bed without all the drawbacks and cost of a big truck, or even the "big" new Ranger.   I didn't look closely at specs but I'm guessing it has similar dimensions to the original Rangers, I had two of them when I was younger and they served me well.  I do see a bit of an issue with the 4.5ft bed, that's teenie.  

I would think these would do well with fleets.  Cheap, small, fuel efficient...perfect for deliveries.  

Looks kinda sporty, should have named it Comet.  

The Ranger is about a perfect size for a small truck, they must see the potential market well enough to produce this one and I agree about the fleet potential.  Rental market as well maybe.

Greg Hartman

Looks nice.

Brad Eden

My gut tells me there is a big and growing market for mid size hybrid AWD trucks like this. (not necessarily talking E/Gas) I’m not in that market since my old Tundra and newer Tacoma do go into 4WD and I sometimes go to places a truck hadn’t oughta. But I bet that Ford with AWD would get me in and out 90%+ of the time. My guess is most people these days who own trucks tote kids around, garbage to the dump and bags of groceries more than plunging through muddy two tracks and busting through a foot of snow because their unimproved town road is last to be plowed.

RuffChaser

One of my brothers totaled 2 or 3 of the old maverick cars when he was a teenager. Maybe he needs to be involved in some of the testing of these. Way to small for my needs but not a bad price for someone that needs to haul stuff more then 1 or 2 times a year.

jeff88

Looks like a smart move by Ford.  BTW, Bronco Sport customers should be happy as there will be many shared parts in the bin.  Not bad looking either.

MDash2

You just don't see many trucks around the big suburbs unless necessary for work. This kind of compact model could be attractive for that market as per the reasons Brad references. While the traditional truck crowd might roll their eyes about the specs there is market potential in the suburbs or similar for a smaller truck where customers have different expectations. Not many suburbs folks are going to care about payload or towing or large gas/diesel engines. 

Brad Eden

Plus it would fit nicely in a standard garage bay with room to spare.

CptSydor

I live in a recreational mountain town inhabited by skiers and mountain bikers. The small to midsize AWD SUV and midsize pick-up market is very popular. Tacoma, Ranger, CRV, RAV4 and any Subaru dominate the landscape. People here, in general, need AWD and some clearance to get them to the ski hill in some snow, or up the occasional forest service road in the summer. Plus a little space to throw gear and carry 4 people relatively comfortably. 

While our market isn't huge, I think this general demographic of light recreationalists is large.  I think this could be popular in our area. 

Both this and the Bronco sport would suit my needs quite well, if I didn't tow a small travel trailer. We'll have a hard decision to make in a couple years when we are considering a new vehichle. We love our travel trailer, but it combined with a proper tow vehicles is starting to get really pricy. 

rideold

I can see the market for this.  I'd buy one actually if it had a locking center diff.  It's too bad no one make this small of a vehicle with this kind of mpg that also has an option for a locking center differential.  The 4WD system in my Sequoia is perfect for my needs.  Three open differentials for snow to get skiing and such and then lock the center diff for the 5% of the time I need it.  It seems like the first generation of the small SUV (beginning of the CUV market) had just such a 4WD system but the market moved that the way of the Dodo.  Maybe the newer traction control systems make the center diff lock redundant.

Clueless1

I had a Subaru Baja for a few years.  Loved that thing.  Big enough bed for a deer or two or a Little Leagues worth of stinky gear, depending on the time of year.  Great gas mileage and "mile eater".  Did most of my archery hunting out of it.  Just got too small when my son started hunting with me and I ended up with two dogs.  Now with the kids moving out, or self sufficient, I would love to have one of these.   Somewhere around 7-8 years from now it will be on a list of vehicles to look at, keeping the "big truck" garaged unless needed.  

Watched the video, they run it on an off-road trail and it looks a bit short in the ground clearance realm.  Don't know how hard it would be to get the front up a few inches but it would help open up some more travel possibility.  Front wheel drive has impressed me with traction ability compared to the RWD vehicles I've owned, I'm not sure how much AWD helps, it might only really help at the very extreme of conditions.  Seems going from FWD to AWD often doesn't cost much in MPG rating.  In the early 1990s there was an ad for Jeep Cherokees that showed no difference in MPG when 4wd was added, first and maybe only time I remember seeing something like that.