To me the interior just screams cheap.  Maybe cheap is ok at that price range.  I remember sitting inside a Colorado (GMC I think) and looking at lots of plastic.  Reminded me of a child's toy.  I think the Ranger is much more upscale in every way possible.  Side note.  How many really good vehicles are built in Mexico?  PS.  One buddy owns a Mexico made WV.  He said he will never own another one.  Thing has been a headache since day 1. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• River19

• Brad Eden

• jeff88

• chilly460

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The demo they are after wouldn’t know how to work a standard transmission if their life depended on it. Is my guess.

I think you're spot on there.....but, I dated this girl in high school that drove a red Maverick.....for some reason the moniker brings back fond memories

Brad I'm not bustin on you as this isn't your ad.......but as someone who has played in bands for many moons.... this is kinda silly.   Here's what I see when I look at this ad:  

Posted Images

dogrunner
2 minutes ago, tut said:

To me the interior just screams cheap.  Maybe cheap is ok at that price range.  I remember sitting inside a Colorado (GMC I think) and looking at lots of plastic.  Reminded me of a child's toy.  I think the Ranger is much more upscale in every way possible.  Side note.  How many really good vehicles are built in Mexico?  PS.  One buddy owns a Mexico made WV.  He said he will never own another one.  Thing has been a headache since day 1. 

Yep. 

6 hours ago, tut said:

I think the Ranger is much more upscale in every way possible.  

Seems when Ford is designing strictly for NA they don't care as much about the buying public's interest in an upscale interior.  Ford's I've been in that started in Oz or Europe seem like they are nicer inside.  Our daughter's '07 Acura TSX was really an Accord outside of NA and it had Audi level insides.  I always thought the Fusion/Milan with Mondeo roots seemed (to me) to be nicer than Ford/Mercury's upper level variants based on the the US-based Taurus.  The current Ranger version started outside of the US, I've seen them in Oz for many years.  There they look like they are full-size in comparison to other makes.  This is what I've seen elsewhere:

Not a hybrid, not interested. The electric aspect for me is important.

River19

I saw a solid review on the new Maverick.  While I still wonder how it will play out with the various other Ford offerings, there are some cool features and one thing that impressed me....the payload.

Even with the small size, and relatively light engine offerings, the payload is 1500lbs.......!!!!  That is darn close to a fully loaded F150 from only a few years ago........

I do like how Ford is putting several factory power options in the bed of the truck.  They have an inverter and a dedicated 12V fused power supply available for the bed.......why force everyone to tap into the light circuit etc.

Let's see how it plays out.

bkelble

I was initially super excited about this, but the details have disappointed me a bit. I wish the hybrid was available with the auto transmission and awd. I am not a fan of cvt. However, I will keep an eye on them as I have been hunting out of a Honda Fit for years, so I am pretty sure a fwd truck will work just fine.  I drive 60 miles a day for work, so mileage is more important that off-road ability.  If they have the hybrid, awd, auto combo that can manage a bit over 30 mpg, I will try to find a way to make one mine. 

River19
1 hour ago, bkelble said:

I was initially super excited about this, but the details have disappointed me a bit. I wish the hybrid was available with the auto transmission and awd. I am not a fan of cvt. However, I will keep an eye on them as I have been hunting out of a Honda Fit for years, so I am pretty sure a fwd truck will work just fine.  I drive 60 miles a day for work, so mileage is more important that off-road ability.  If they have the hybrid, awd, auto combo that can manage a bit over 30 mpg, I will try to find a way to make one mine. 

From what I saw the AWD is only available with the Turbo 2.0L which comes with the 8sp auto, which I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get low 30s mpg highway......

I love that it comes with steel wheels.

Now if they only offered a single cab with a bench seat.

1 hour ago, River19 said:

From what I saw the AWD is only available with the Turbo 2.0L which comes with the 8sp auto, which I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get low 30s mpg highway......

Probably optimistic on this setup getting low 30s. The Bronco Sport with the same drivetrain is only rated at 26mpg. The awd 2.0t Escape is 31mpg, I can't imagine this rig will match that. 

Still pretty good mpg for a "truck" but I'd expect it to be pretty close to the Bronco Sport.

AWD with a 2" leveling kit (hopefully can use the same as the Bronc Sport), a shell and a ski box on top, would make this a contender for me.

3 minutes ago, snapt said:

AWD with a 2" leveling kit (hopefully can use the same as the Bronc Sport), a shell and a ski box on top, would make this a contender for me.

I think these crew cabs with really short boxes look much better with a topper.

27 minutes ago, snapt said:

I suspect with a 2" leveling kit the fuel economy of the Maverick will be pretty much the same as the Ranger, maybe slightly better, maybe. So out of curiosity I "built" a 4x4 (awd in the Maverick) crew cab XLT with no additional options for the Ranger and Maverick to see how the prices compare. The Ranger was $35k and the Maverick was $27k. $8k is a fairly significant difference so I can see how for a number of people a Maverick might make more sense.

Perhaps not coincidentally a 4x4 F150 XLT is the same additional $8k above the Ranger.... 

WI Outdoor Nut
On 6/9/2021 at 2:04 PM, jeff88 said:

Heard a great line about Ford's turbo engines:  "They are either Eco or Boost but never at the same time."

I am on my 2nd eco boost motor in a F150 and completely agree.  I have never had a vehicle affected by headwinds/tailwinds more than these trucks.  if you spool at all, your MPG dives.  If you don't use turbos, excellent.  Same roads, same speed, have seen as low as 16 mpg, and as high as 24 mpg.  

My current tank, which is just country roads and some city, 21.1 mpg.  Which I can usually average on the tank if not pulling anything.

Overall, love the motor and truck.  

River19
58 minutes ago, Flush said:

Probably optimistic on this setup getting low 30s. The Bronco Sport with the same drivetrain is only rated at 26mpg. The awd 2.0t Escape is 31mpg, I can't imagine this rig will match that. 

Still pretty good mpg for a "truck" but I'd expect it to be pretty close to the Bronco Sport.

I think you are probably right if they drop the exact same 8sp into the Maverick with the 0.62 8th gear ratio.

Was thinking they might change that up, but upon further reflection knowing they wanted the 2.0T to have more towing capacity....if they tweaked the ratios at all it would be more likely to go the other way away from mpg.  If you want mpg get the hybrid.  If you want to tow your fishing boat with this, get the 2.0 and enjoy 28mpg highway when not towing.

River19

Honestly, the more I poke around at this thing, it is kinda a cool option.

If someone makes a cap for it at some point that would be interesting.

The base version at say $20-22K with the hybrid is almost a throwaway rig to an extent......buy it, beat the crap out of it and enjoy 40mpg......reality is that many people hunt in places where you don't need a full on off road rig for anyways.

Get some decent tires and have at it.....even with aggressive tires the hybrid should pull 35mpg (ish).....