Brad Eden

The feathered kind. It’s a zoo around here. Natures rebirth abounds. Sparrows raising chicks in nests under the deck. Ducks with ducklings, Canada geese with goslings, wild turkeys with poults, and ruffed grouse and Woodcock with chicks. The waterfowl have been seen marching across the lawn from the Marsh on our side to the beaver ponds on the other. 

A couple days ago Cash moved a clutch of grouse chicks just behind the house. The mother hen pulled the injured bird routine but the chicks were able to fly like big fat bumblebees. And less than an hour ago, we bumped a “family” of Woodcock within eyeshot of the deck stairs. At least 3-4 and I couldn’t completely distinguish the mother from the chicks as they arced away.  

A good omen for fall if you are into that sort of thing.

bobman

It’s a nice time of year with all the new life.

we are covered up with tiny baby grey squirrels,  watching them makes it hard for me to think about hunting season

cute little critters 

Korthaar
4 hours ago, bobman said:

It’s a nice time of year with all the new life.

we are covered up with tiny baby grey squirrels,  watching them makes it hard for me to think about hunting season

cute little critters 

If I don't check the yard before I let the dogs out this time of year, they will remind me.  : /

h20fwler

Darcy bumped a hen turkey with six poults about twice the size of quail last night right next to my bee hives.

ScottGrush

My woodpile robin nest is now empty. My trail cam pics I had on it tell me they fledged on June 7th. I saw one sitting on my dog yard fence yesterday so at least one little one has made to the flying stage. Wednesday I was in the woods spraying fruit tress for gypsy moth caterpillars, those bastards are eating machines. Anyway, I saw 3 fawns, 4 tom turkeys, 1 hen turkey, 1 grouse, and a hen mallard with at least a dozen ducklings trucking thru the uplands. Nature is bountiful. 

ccavacini

Not chicks, but had a turtle laying eggs on the beach yesterday....that's just a start.

two turtles.jpg