Pups: What's the going rate?

Just curious what guys are paying for GSP pups from reputable breeders these days?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ray Gubernat

• BrentD

• chilly460

• Kre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all due respect, I doubt you will get a well bred pup from tested and proven parent for $1000 anymore.

I would say that, for a quality breeding where both the sire and the dam have been trained and tested according to some formal program, be it Navhda, AKC, NGSPA or NSTRA, you can expect to pay about $

I've always thought that you should spend your time finding the very best breeding you can find. Price is a non factor, in my opinion. A genetically superior dog at $2000 is a much better investment t

Posted Images

Skybuster

I live in the Labrador world where prices depend on the breeding. I've seen pups go for $2,500 from champion blood lines. It's just a guess but I expect reputable GSP breeders are about the same.... starting at $1,000 and up. 

shoot-straight
3 hours ago, Skybuster said:

I live in the Labrador world where prices depend on the breeding. I've seen pups go for $2,500 from champion blood lines. It's just a guess but I expect reputable GSP breeders are about the same.... starting at $1,000 and up. 

Not sure where you are, but even kind of ho-hum breedings of labs are going for 2k and up here in md. Thanks COVID. Everyone wanted a dog. 

Dave Quindt
4 hours ago, Kre said:

Just curious what guys are paying for GSP pups from reputable breeders these days?

$750-$1500. 

Mike da Carpenter

Good breedings start at $1000 here and go up quickly.  Of course there are always the home breeders who attempt their best to produce something good (bless their hearts), but they are only making the reputable breeder prices go up and more attractive too.

Ray Gubernat

I would say that, for a quality breeding where both the sire and the dam have been trained and tested according to some formal program, be it Navhda, AKC, NGSPA or NSTRA, you can expect to pay about $1000 for a pup. 

It takes money and time and effort to test or trial a dog and the results of the testing are, to a large degree, reasonably objective and  public knowledge.  That is a large part of what you are paying for.   If the sire or dam has not been tested and evaluated, you only have the breeder's word as to their abilities.

If a dog has obtained a Senior or Master Hunter designation in AKC, an NA or UT designation in Navhda or has successfully competed in field trials, be they AF, USCSDA, AKC or NSTRA, the dog has been judged and evaluated by strangers for performance against a set of criteria related to performance in the field... and found to have shown sufficient amounts of those performance based traits to be formally recognized.  

There are enough different testing and competitive formats to give a prospective buyer a good idea of what kind of dogs the parents are and a reasonable shot at getting a puppy with a goodly helping of their parents' abilities.

It is one thing for someone to say their dog is a great hunting dog.  It is often quite another to prove it.   

Now I am not saying that untested dogs are not good dogs.  I have hunted over some outstanding dogs that never saw competition...but I SAW those dogs and HUNTED over those dogs, so I KNEW, first hand, what they were capable of.  That, to me, was worth more than some hunk of ribbon.  

RayG

With all due respect, I doubt you will get a well bred pup from tested and proven parent for $1000 anymore.

ckfowler180

I have a litter of Llewellins on the way and I would wager out of top percentage of Llewellins in the field. I know others getting $1,400-1,800 from dogs that will not Hunt half as hard. 

Rockford Setters

Designer pups go for$2000-3000, sometimes more

Jacksdad

These figures seem like bargains compared to what some of the poodle crosses (non hunting) go for nowadays.  I know of one golden doodle breeder that was asking $10k +.  The entire litter was spoken for.  

chilly460

I’m paying $1000 for the setter pup I’m picking up in a few weeks, out of trial lines.  I paid $1800 for my Llewellin two years ago, and feel like that’s on the high side. 

i can’t speak to GSP breedings specifically, but being that both breeds are fairly popular bird dogs it seems they’d be going at a similar rate.   It does seem that GSPs have gained a lot of popularity with the younger mainstream population, which could drive the price up a bit.  

Dave Quindt probably knows more about GSP lines than all the rest of us combined, if I was looking for a GSP I would be PMing him for advice

Same with Doug Favor his dogs look fantastic to me

Jacksdad
2 minutes ago, chilly460 said:

It does seem that GSPs have gained a lot of popularity with the younger mainstream population, which could drive the price up a bit.  

Our Braques looks very much like a GSP and he gets a lot of attention from random people most of which are not hunters.  I can see there being a big market for them in the general public. 

chilly460

Tons of them in urban settings with folks that I'm sure are not hunters, hope it doesn't water down the breed as occurred with Weims and Irish Setters in the past.  

Clueless1

Just had to go to my standard "check in" on prices.  A pretty good breeding out of people I would trust (and have been members on here before I believe) are asking $1k for pups born May 1.