Pups: What's the going rate?

zhtrainer

Not GSP's but my Amish friend Michael has a brother who uses a standard bred poodle bred to a Bernese mountain dog and two of the pups from his last litter sold for $5000 a piece. Both pups went to Texas. No puppy mill, the pups are well cared for and socialized. They had been into the Lassie type collies but I guess there wasn't enough money compared to the "designer" dogs.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ray Gubernat

• BrentD

• chilly460

• Kre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all due respect, I doubt you will get a well bred pup from tested and proven parent for $1000 anymore.

I would say that, for a quality breeding where both the sire and the dam have been trained and tested according to some formal program, be it Navhda, AKC, NGSPA or NSTRA, you can expect to pay about $

I've always thought that you should spend your time finding the very best breeding you can find. Price is a non factor, in my opinion. A genetically superior dog at $2000 is a much better investment t

Posted Images

$750-$1000.  There does seem to be a high demand for them right now.  When I was looking for a pup a year ago the GSP breeders I were all talking about how many calls they were getting.  You had to put down a deposit well in advance.  It appears people are hoarding bird dogs along with toilet paper.      

No knowledge of GSP's.  I bought my Llew out of good bloodlines for $1,100 6 years ago.  I think prices have gone up a bit since then.   I have a Golden and out of curiosity I wondered what the prices were for field breed Goldens.  Lets just say 2K is not out of the norm from what I've seen. 

Prices have gone up.  I'll be getting my next dog from the same place I got my last.  $500 increase in 5 years.

But, I don't give a rats ass...just curious what the market is.

apachecadillac

Interesting--I'm curious, too.  FWIW, the last time I bought a pup (about ten years ago), the going rate for a Brittany from the kind of breeder who campaigned his dogs on the Field Trial Circuit out West was $600-1000 (I paid in the middle of that, and bought from a guy in Idaho).  I think those numbers are probably up about 50% today (~$900-1500), maybe a little more, but I'm not really paying close attention.  That's with OFA certification and a pedigree that the breeder can more or less explain.

And, yeah, the prices for the designer dogs (anything that ends in 'oodle') are sorta funny.

In particular with GSPs, I would think the timeframe between deciding to get a pup and picking it up has greatly increased.

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Last year I paid 1,800 for Llewellin pup.  I was looking for some Django blood. He was the father to my late Hanna . Its the most I ever paid for a pup. I think good pups can be found for 1000. I know nothing about GSP. I would look for a breeder that hunt his dogs in the way you do. If you can hunt with the parents thats a plus.   But the way The pup is the cheap part. LOL

WPG Gizmo

Start looking into shelters a lot of people who bought pups during the covid lockdowns are turning them into shelters as they dont want them any longer.

For what it's worth Griff pups are starting at $2000 if you can find one

Alaskan Swamp Collie

As far as Goldens go, I paid $2500 for my last one (22 months) and 2 for the one 2 years before that. The big problem is finding a good dog with all the clearances that you would want. Than you do and the breeder gets to pick where the pups go to since the waiting list is 3 times the amount of the litter size. Granted these are not backyard dogs, but the breeders ask for our references before they will put us on a list. I have friends who have been looking for a suitable golden for over 2 years, granted covid destroyed one opportunity as we were stuck in our frozen wasteland and now getting into Canada is still a problem.

54 minutes ago, Alaskan Swamp Collie said:

As far as Goldens go, I paid $2500 for my last one (22 months) and 2 for the one 2 years before that. The big problem is finding a good dog with all the clearances that you would want. Than you do and the breeder gets to pick where the pups go to since the waiting list is 3 times the amount of the litter size. Granted these are not backyard dogs, but the breeders ask for our references before they will put us on a list. I have friends who have been looking for a suitable golden for over 2 years, granted covid destroyed one opportunity as we were stuck in our frozen wasteland and now getting into Canada is still a problem.

12 yrs ago, I paid $3k for my golden Gus.  I really want to add another sooner than later.  Cost is the smallest consideration, however. 

The nicer NAVHDA dogs are $1800- $2200, these pups will point, retrieve, back, swim, track,  naturally and are very cooperative. Working with a 3 month old GSP puppy right now, amazing natural ability!!! 

There is a quality GWP breeder near me and the pups are $1500.

I bought a Draht pup from a super good breeder, also a NAVHDA judge, for $1500.

interlochen

My brother and his wife have been breeding and selling wirehair dachshunds puppies without papers for $800 and they have a waiting list as long as your arm.  Makes a field bred pointer or setter puppy at $1,200 look like an incredible bargain from my perspective.

uplandnut30

Very reputable breeders are still selling ES pups for $800-$1100, same with EP pups.

Shorthair price have gotten pants on head retarded as have Brittany pups.

Don Steese

I've always thought that you should spend your time finding the very best breeding you can find. Price is a non factor, in my opinion. A genetically superior dog at $2000 is a much better investment than an average dog at $500. Figuring a hunting life of ten years that's only $150 more per year. Considering what we spend on guns, gear, ammo and travel, $150 is peanuts.