Tim Frazier

I suppose it's fair to ask why humans have always taken trophies, why we need something metal/plastic or in the case of hunting, antlers or hide or both. Everyone will have a different take on this and I had never had a deer mounted until this one. Just as my dad had never had one done before the one that now hangs on the wall with mine. Maybe I wanted a reminder of one of the greatest adventures I've had, with a good friend in a very wild place, maybe it's to honor the animal that we outsmarted (well maybe not as it wasn't even with the ones we thought we were going to outsmart). Or maybe it was just to have something up there with dads deer. I don't pretend to know the answer. I don't need an answer. I do know I'm grateful for the taxidermist who did this mount and did it right, it didn't turn out to be whitetail mount with mule deer antlers, the mass and size of this deer was well done and my hat is off to Bill for that. Likely a once in a lifetime adventure I will think about every day I see it, just like I think of the one I had with my dad the day he took the buck that hangs next to it.

d1.jpg

d.jpg

us (2).jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim Frazier

• Brad Eden

• mccuha

• atticus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suppose it's fair to ask why humans have always taken trophies, why we need something metal/plastic or in the case of hunting, antlers or hide or both. Everyone will have a different take on this an

This one will always be special to me. Every time I look at him on the wall, I can remember the whole trip like it was yesterday.

Shooting so much in Germany I guess I came to like the German outlook on big game "trophies". That is the horns, normally in a European mount, are there to remind the hunter of the entire effort to hu

Posted Images

lee sykes

Nice examples of both species.  They both have meaning to you other than that.  I have one mount that has significance to me and one that my dad shot in 1969.

It decorates the room nicely and brings back fond memories. They would only be trophies to me now.  That is enough for me.  

Mike da Carpenter

I like that first Muley. Looks very similar to mine.  Wish I had had the whole head mounted, but I cheated out and did a European mount myself.  I love the euro mount and look back fondly, but your display of both muleys is well done.

Tim Frazier
48 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

I like that first Muley. Looks very similar to mine.  Wish I had had the whole head mounted, but I cheated out and did a European mount myself.  I love the euro mount and look back fondly, but your display of both muleys is well done.

That’s the same deer just different angles.  Maybe 140s IDK, but his body size was enormous.  28” I believe green. I should measure it one day I suppose.   Numbers don’t change much but they are interesting.  

I’ve  done 1/2 dozen skull mounts and really like them.  It was a tough decision for sure but I’m happy.  

Mike da Carpenter

Mine is 139”.  Body was massive.  It’s the first mule deer I ever shot and when I walked up to him, the body kept getting bigger. Much different than whitetails.  Shot him at 11 feet from the ground.  

atticus
7 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

…… Likely a once in a lifetime adventure I will think about every day I see it, just like I think of the one I had with my dad the day he took the buck that hangs next to it.

I think that’s the best reason right there. On cold snowy winter nights I can relive the hunts I’ve been on just by looking at them. The trophy is the memory. The mount just helps the recall. 

Brad Eden

Nice contrast of a Whitetail and a Muley Tim.

IMG_0183.JPG

I have the first decently racked buck I ever shot shoulder mounted. And also my three biggest bucks that went over 200lbs dressed. Those three had good racks by Maine standards as well. Now that I am much older with legs and lungs that will likely never get me to areas where I shot those bucks the memories the mounts on the wall hold become more important every passing fall. I also have every set of antlers of every buck I’ve shot, with a handful as bleached European skull mounts. Even without the skin and hair and fake eyes they are also memory tokens of years gone by too fast. 

quailguy
8 hours ago, atticus said:

I think that’s the best reason right there. On cold snowy winter nights I can relive the hunts I’ve been on just by looking at them. The trophy is the memory. The mount just helps the recall. 

Shooting so much in Germany I guess I came to like the German outlook on big game "trophies". That is the horns, normally in a European mount, are there to remind the hunter of the entire effort to hunt and take an animal in fair chase, as well as a memory of that particular animal. The horns of any animal taken in fair chase are a trophy;  it has nothing to do with the size or points.

IMG_3671

Gams or chamois, taken in the mountains near the Tegernsee, Germany with Herr Moderegger, one of the 3 top ranked ( similar to a Sergeant Major)  Bavarian state jaegers. Helluva great guy I will always remember.  A cull, but still a trophy. 

They look great hanging side by side.

Both nice mounts with lots of memories.

Zkight89

"Trophy" means something different to me than many other in terms of big game. The experience, memory and resulting family time processing, preparing and eating is what physical trophies remind me of. 

In our house there are a few, 

KIMG4134.jpg

My first Oklahoma buck, also the biggest racked buck I've ever taken. 

KIMG4133.jpg

My oldest boys first buck that my wife used to creatively spell " HOME".

KIMG4104.jpg

The last big boar hog caught and killed with my pack of Cur dogs before life got in the way of keeping them.  Hell of a fighter and the dogs and I earned every ounce of meat in the freezer.

No pics but my Wife's crossbow bolt and the flag from her first doe taken on her own are displayed in her room. Also, the curls off of mine and Remi's first Greenhead adorn the hat band of my summer Stetson. 

No fancy taxidermy, but lots of material with which to reminisce. 

I like Euro mounts.  It's just something about them.  Well the main thing is they are free.  I have a good friend that does his own and has all the gadgets to do them.. He knows what he's doing.  I'm not much into big game.  I will deer hunt a little and our property is under trophy management.  I havent shot a deer in several years, just dont see the ones I'm after usually.   i just enjoy getting out and seeing deer.   The one big game animal I want to get is a true trophy quality Mulie.  They just intrigue me.  I've been thinking. I will be able to retire in three years and will have all the leave I want so I'm thinking of then going on a once in a lifetime Mulie hunt.  Probably will pack the shotgun just in case I come across a good area to bird hunt. 

Through the years I've had a lot of deer mounted, typically getting another one done that was a new personal best.  Over time I've added other species, from the western and Alaska stuff to fowl, but after going to East Africa multiple times and crazily thinking I needed to mount all the stuff from there, I have more stuff crammed around than I could ever find wall space and have long reached the point of wondering where in the world will it all end up one day?  Every trophy has its memories and I happily go back to all the details of those moments when I take a look at one, but now wish I had taken the simpler approach of euro mounts with more of the stuff.  Cracker Barrel seems to like donated deer mounts, but do you think they'll have an interest one day a full shoulder mount cape buffalo???  🤪

Tim Frazier
3 hours ago, mccuha said:

I like Euro mounts.  It's just something about them.  Well the main thing is they are free.  I have a good friend that does his own and has all the gadgets to do them.. He knows what he's doing.  I'm not much into big game.  I will deer hunt a little and our property is under trophy management.  I havent shot a deer in several years, just dont see the ones I'm after usually.   i just enjoy getting out and seeing deer.   The one big game animal I want to get is a true trophy quality Mulie.  They just intrigue me.  I've been thinking. I will be able to retire in three years and will have all the leave I want so I'm thinking of then going on a once in a lifetime Mulie hunt.  Probably will pack the shotgun just in case I come across a good area to bird hunt. 

I've been doing skull mounts for family and friends as well as myself for some time now.  I stumbled upon a really easy way to do it, well relatively so, and enjoy the process.

bucksk.thumb.jpg.3d481763ef7fc47931d6bdb4a2172cbb.jpg385B01D7-B0D6-4542-8FC6-FA92294ABA77.thumb.jpeg.df0b94e9251f5db4256f5b0b825857a0.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

I've been doing skull mounts for family and friends as well as myself for some time now.  I stumbled upon a really easy way to do it, well relatively so, and enjoy the process.

bucksk.thumb.jpg.3d481763ef7fc47931d6bdb4a2172cbb.jpg385B01D7-B0D6-4542-8FC6-FA92294ABA77.thumb.jpeg.df0b94e9251f5db4256f5b0b825857a0.jpeg

those look good.    I joke about the cost of mine but I do like the way they look and I like the idea of also being able to sit them around , not just having to mount them to a wall like normal mounts.

Tim Frazier
21 minutes ago, mccuha said:

those look good.    I joke about the cost of mine but I do like the way they look and I like the idea of also being able to sit them around , not just having to mount them to a wall like normal mounts.

Exactly, as a friend of mine says, "it's nice to be able to pick them up and handle them"  "it brings all the memories back"