Idaho Draw - How'd it go?

dgfavor

I have been putting in for a certain rifle hunt mule deer tag fo'eva it seems and never drawn...till now!!  It's a 5 tag unit with usually right around 1% draw odds - I have not seen the draw odds for this year but there are usually about 400 applicants for the 5 tags.  I have seen quite a few of the deer taken during this hunt, which runs thru the start of the rut and why it is a desirable tag, and they are typically whopper, once-in-a-lifetimer's.  We typically restrict our yearly deer hunt to our own property but my hunt will be an all unit search. 

My wife drew the "guaranteed draw" tag which is essentially a general season tag but by being a draw you are committing up front to hunting that unit.  We usually see alot of deer on my place but not often the really big daddy's the area is known for.  We (ahem, the wife) did miss a whopper last year which I posted a litte story about.

Anyway, I ran out and bought my tag today and I'm pumped - it's a long season Oct 10-Nov 30...my wife's season runs from Oct. 10-24.  My goal as always will be to have a great experience and not get too caught up in the hype or pressure of having to bag a whopper that kind of comes with a tag like this!  It's a ways off so plenty of time to plan. 

Anybody else have any controlled hunt luck?  I am still waiting to see if I drew landowner deer or elk as well...if I draw the deer I'll pass it on to somebody...but I "never" draw anything!!  Hah, can't say that anymore!  ;) 

A couple vids of our usual hunts on our own place to get the big game

blood pumpin' a little:

Congrats on the mule deer tag!

I put in for an antelope area that a friend from SC ID knows very well. I drew it about 10 years ago and shot a respectable buck first morning. We put in again, as we always do, without any success. He's put in for it every year since he retired from teaching in AK and has never drawn in the unit. Texting back and forth yesterday, he indicated he was probably black balled by the F&G for calling them up frequently, to question, what he believes to be boneheaded F&G regulation changes! So no, no tags on the antelope, but I did draw once again, a cow tag for the northern unit I shot a cow in last year. 

Nice videos as always! 

No goat or muley tag. I'm pretty content chasing OTC archery elk and whitetail and birds the rest of the Fall.

Congratulations, hope we get to see some cool pics of the hunt

Tim Frazier

Ya you’ll be taking some of us along vicariously!   Can’t wait!

Okhotnik

drew a muzzle loader deer tag units 

33, 34, 35 11/10 to 11/30

Hopefully some snow to push the mature bucks down. plus its the rut which should help

Sage Hen

I came up empty for draws this year. Not going to complain because I've drawn my share of desirable tags over the years. Fortunately I live right on the border of two very good general hunt muley areas. 

floodcity

Good luck! Sounds like an awesome tag. I missed putting in for a moose tag (really poor odds) so I will again be chasing huns and sharpies come Oct. 

Scrappy

Congratulations and good luck!

No luck for me. I put in every year for the bighorn sheep draw, so I can't draw for anything else. Otc archery elk and mule deer for me. Should be fun as always. 

dgfavor

I was really close to putting in for a sheep this year.  I had it all researched out, said  i was gonna do it...then didn't.  The sheep hunt I was looking at had better draw odds than the deer tag I drew!  I almost missed getting my deer and elk draw applications submitted.  My wife remembered they were due when we were out camping so we drove back in to a little store that had free wi-fi and I submitted my apps from the jeep in the parking lot on last day you could submit.

Anymore, in Idaho, OTC elk and deer hunts are as good or better than many of the controlled hunts and alot of guys I know go for moose/sheep/goat and forgo elk and deer draws, like Scrappy.

Congratulations, sounds like a chance you don’t get too often. I’m anxious to see the results!

mister grouse

I  just hope you guys in Idaho get your hunts this year.  At this time , looking to the fall and considering the drought, heat and fire issues, the early season would appear to me to be close call as to whether a lot of Idaho public land will be closed ?  

I have canned  this years  annual Idaho bird hunting trip because of those issues  on some private agricultural land I hunt.  Private land agricultural in much of Idaho is a disaster already.  And game birds are having a poor recruitment as well. Not a good time to be knocking on doors or accessing ag lands  IMO.  Im really hurting for several farmers there who have lost basically their entire grain crops.

I've never put in for the sheep/moose/goat tag in Idaho. I've thought about the sheep and moose, but hunted both in AK and although I never had any success on sheep, I did bag a number of moose over the years. Anymore, at my age, if the sheep hunting in Idaho is similar to some of the sheep hunts I did in AK, I'm not sure I could handle it, not necessarily for the hike/climb part of it, but I found as I've aged, I have a tendency towards vertigo in some terrains and the sheep live in those type of terrains I'm talking about! I don't know if I'd be too successful climbing around on my hands and knees or sliding across some ridiculously steep terrain on my rearend! 

• 2 weeks later...
Chukarman

I was not drawn for Arizona antelope this Spring. I was drawn for rifle Coues deer in an area near my home that i know pretty well. My buddy from Idaho was drawn for the same hunt. Same thing happened last year.

One day I'd like to get drawn for a Arizona Strip rifle mule deer hunt... tough odds, though.Might have to do a private land hunt in New Mexico for mule deer.

Chukarman

Doug

I always enjoy your videos and photos. I especially enjoyed the covey of sharp-tails in the first (2017) video.

Good luck on a monster this season.