• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zkight89

• mccuha

• bennelli-banger

• GeorgeE

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad said during the drought years in the '20s and '30s the locust swarms would come in and eat down the crops, hay, pastures until there was nothing. Even pitch fork handles would get chewed up. He sa

Indiana is having a banner year, full of pheasant, grouse, kiwi and passenger pigeon. Everybody come hunt here (so there's room for me in the states where I plan to hunt!)

I've been in contact with my friends in Montana, drought is bad, but not as bad as 2017, say they are still seeing good numbers of sharptails and more huns than usual.

Posted Images

GeorgeE

I’d prolly ask the farmers!  🤣

dogrunner

I asked a farmer today, we were very dry in April and May, now we are too wet.  My pond is over its bank so I didn't really need to ask him I already knew the answer. 

tbob131

I've been in contact with my friends in Montana, drought is bad, but not as bad as 2017, say they are still seeing good numbers of sharptails and more huns than usual.

I hate so much of the west is in drought conditions but I'm sure glad to see most of Texas is not in one .  My areas in TX is looking great with rains.  Can only hope and pray we have a great rebound in recruitment this year.  It seems like forever since 2015-2016.

Zkight89

Drought or not, we put a weekend in Kansas on the calendar this year. 

Zkight89
16 minutes ago, mccuha said:

I hate so much of the west is in drought conditions but I'm sure glad to see most of Texas is not in one .  My areas in TX is looking great with rains.  Can only hope and pray we have a great rebound in recruitment this year.  It seems like forever since 2015-2016.

If they're getting half as much in Texas as we are in OK, it'll be enough. 

Alaskan Swamp Collie

Missed last year because of you know what so I am not going to miss this year. Just going later than I normally would to avoid heat. Probably hit 4 states this year be they good bad or indifferent.

16 minutes ago, Zkight89 said:

If they're getting half as much in Texas as we are in OK, it'll be enough. 

Yes, The two properties I hunt have been getting plenty of welcomed rains.  I can only hope for another double or triple hatch.  This year a lot of Texas and Oklahoma has been getting the right rains.  It could well be a very intresting fall/winter this year.  You may change your mind about Kansas if we have another year like 2015 and 16.

Indiana is having a banner year, full of pheasant, grouse, kiwi and passenger pigeon.

Everybody come hunt here (so there's room for me in the states where I plan to hunt!)

Zkight89
1 hour ago, mccuha said:

Yes, The two properties I hunt have been getting plenty of welcomed rains.  I can only hope for another double or triple hatch.  This year a lot of Texas and Oklahoma has been getting the right rains.  It could well be a very intresting fall/winter this year.  You may change your mind about Kansas if we have another year like 2015 and 16.

Season will be open here also at my vacation time but I'm looking to knock down a wild ringneck . I've beat on ol Bob enough!! 

Pomoxis

Riparian areas, though always productive, should be excellent this fall. 

Randy S

The drought monitor pretty well tells the story. I don't worry as much about losing cover on CRP after the hatch, the birds gotta be somewhere. Just might mean knocking on doors. That's really a blessing when it comes to avoiding competition. If I wanted to shoot birds and the only cover was ditches....well, I'd hunt a state that allowed walking ditches. I know that would be miserable for a guy with pointers, but with flushers, a guy can pretend he's hunting strip cover. Even in good years, I'll walk a ditch at the end of the day for a last bird. I draw the line at driving till I see a bird or just stopping at a patch here and there. I know my dogs would rather hunt a ditch than watch dad drive around in circles mumbling under his breath.

Most fellow hunters are creatures of habit. They'll return to the Dakotas and Kansas, birds or no birds. There aren't a lot of us who chase states.  

2 hours ago, Zkight89 said:

Season will be open here also at my vacation time but I'm looking to knock down a wild ringneck . I've beat on ol Bob enough!! 

I've really quinched that itch at taking a ditch parrot .  I totally get it though.  I to wanted to get a phez.  I still will shoot one if the dogs point one but I really dont care to target them.  I agree. Beating up ole bob when he's down but I can tell you this.  Go one time and find 20 plus covies of wild bobs in a day and you will be bitten.  Of course I've chased bobs my whole life and have a love affair with them.  I guess if I'd hunted phez my whole life I'd feel the same about them.  

Zkight89
13 minutes ago, mccuha said:

I've really quinched that itch at taking a ditch parrot .  I totally get it though.  I to wanted to get a phez.  I still will shoot one if the dogs point one but I really dont care to target them.  I agree. Beating up ole bob when he's down but I can tell you this.  Go one time and find 20 plus covies of wild bobs in a day and you will be bitten.  Of course I've chased bobs my whole life and have a love affair with them.  I guess if I'd hunted phez my whole life I'd feel the same about them.  

I will always hunt Quail because I love to eat them. However, I satisfy that urge at the preserves. 

I've never killed any wild pheasant and as close to home as they are now it's time to give them a go.