Picking up a setter pup this weekend

chilly460

The selections have been sorted out and I'll be picking up a female setter pup this weekend.  Flying into Dallas, picking her up Saturday, and ripping back to Richmond with some BBQ stops along the way.   The litter popped up just as I was getting serious about looking for a new pup and checked all the boxes so hopefully she turns out well.  I thought we had a name picked out but it didn't seem to fit once I saw the pics so that'll be TBD.   My thoughts when selecting her is I wanted a dog with some size to handle tall covers, and with some range and speed as I've learned that's what I like to see in a dog, and if she's intelligent it won't at all be a problem with her adjusting to grouse cover and staying in at ~150yds.   We will see what it's like having 3 dogs under 4yrs old in the house, although Blanton is very chill in the house so really comes down to how the other two behave.  She's out of WF Setters kennel, I'm not in trial circles so haven't laid eyes on any of the dogs in her lines but researched as best I could, I'll do my best to get her trained up and on as many wild birds as we can manage and see how she turns out.  

I'm very happy she's a Tri-color as that's my strong preference as far as aesthetics, and her mask is a dead ringer for my dog growing up, a English/Gordon mix named Missy.  

unnamed.jpg

IMG-4046.JPG

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chilly460

• Mike Connally

• Chukarman

• kgb

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The selections have been sorted out and I'll be picking up a female setter pup this weekend.  Flying into Dallas, picking her up Saturday, and ripping back to Richmond with some BBQ stops along the wa

Well I found a coupon so figured I’d pick up another one…

Pups continue to grow and learn, they’ve become a bit more sturdy and have no problem going on nature walks, just hit three months old. It’s been interesting observing their differences in personality

Posted Images

Bluegill68

She is a real looker, your wrecking crew is growing!

chilly460
3 minutes ago, Bluegill68 said:

She is a real looker, your wrecking crew is growing!

It'll be interesting to see if three dogs gets us to a point where we say "that's enough!".  I've found the more dog power, the better, so I'm not the proper voice of reason to stop growing the pack :)

Chukarman

I am meeting a Dallas breeder in Raton, NM to pick up a setter pup this coming Saturday. This is a male - grandson of my dog Cody. SIX setters in the kennel!

Chief Paduke

chilly, have you considered where you will stable that Tennessee Walking Horse, your next purchase. I would love to have that pup.

chilly460
6 minutes ago, Chief Paduke said:

chilly, have you considered where you will stable that Tennessee Walking Horse, your next purchase. I would love to have that pup.

I'm scared where this may go as I'm considering entering Blanton in some little local trials this Fall just for giggles....we all know how these things evolve.  

Craig Doherty
1 hour ago, chilly460 said:

IMG-4046.JPG

Pedigrees don't point birds -- but that's a very nice one and I haven't had anything but pointers for 20 years.

1 hour ago, chilly460 said:

I'm scared where this may go as I'm considering entering Blanton in some little local trials this Fall just for giggles....we all know how these things evolve.  

No reason to be too scared,,maybe just a little scared. Just know that the first time you handle a dog from a horse,,,you realize that they go together like,,,,,,,,one of my favorites, gin and tonic. 

That's an attractive pup, have fun whatever direction you take.

Have fun with her. She has a good pedigree and looks good, of course that doesn't guarantee anything but it's certainly a good starting point. On paper she does have the potential to be a horseback dog, but A) not all dogs from big running lines runs that big B) even if she has that natural inclination if you raise her and developer her to be the type of dog you want you'll be fine even if you don't want a really big running dog.

Cooter Brown

You certainly don't do anything halfway.

chilly460

Thanks all for the replies.  Through another post I started about researching pedigrees, and reading Craig's book as well as Wehle's Snakefoot book I've come to the same conclusion, you do the best you can with a litter but it's still a crapshoot.  My takeaways were to find a breeder who emphasized performance, find parents from good lines,  find parents that were known producers, and do your best to find repeat breedings.  I think I did OK on 3 of 4.  I didn't harp on the fourth piece because of the limits in my access to "top rung" setter litters (found a lot of them are spoken for by trialers), and my timeframe.   If I were a bit more knowledgeable I'm sure I could've found more dogs regionally, but to be honest my deal was just looking at litters involving lines that have qualified nationally or won decent regional AA or shooting dog trials as that greatly trims the pool for setters (versus pointers per se).  

The hope is of course this dog will be lights out, but being realistic, even an "average" pup out of these dogs should be fine for a foot hunter like me.  Obviously I'd love it if she had all the elements of a top notch AA dog, but the central reason I went with trial lines is the dogs that really impress me in their intensity and intelligence have been out of trial lines.   And secondly yes I do like dogs with some wheels.  We'll have fun either way, hopefully the woodcock flight is decent this year and we can get her out on some wild birds in January when she'll be 8mos.  No pressure, obviously at that age, but it will be fun.  When I started three years ago, I had absolutely no clue what I was doing, still don't but at least I have good resources and a bit of experience to rely upon.  

chilly460
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

You certainly don't do anything halfway.

No, and that's become painfully obvious.   Somehow that seems OK when it comes to bird dogs, because they're as close to perfection as it gets.  

Ol'Forester

I believe in and have always had dogs close up to field trial dogs. The last 3 setters I’ve had are from ruffed grouse field trail lines, 2 of the 3 had pretty big wheels on the prairie. I would generally turn them at 400 yds or so, I think one might have went to infinity. But only one, the biggest goer had good heat tolerance. They would hunt out to about 150 yds in woods.

I have been switching over to back to pointers due to better heat tolerance, I hope. I just got back from Abilene TX, where I picked up a Tried N True pup. I really like her!

Mike Connally

Nice looking pup Chilly. I’m not far from you. Maybe I’ll get a chance to see her this season. 

Joseph Augustine

What a pretty little gal!!!

She definitely has some good lineage.

Best of luck with her.