Picking up a setter pup this weekend

chilly460

Pups continue to grow and learn, they’ve become a bit more sturdy and have no problem going on nature walks, just hit three months old. It’s been interesting observing their differences in personality and physical traits.  Willett (white mask) is still smaller and stouter built, not as serious, still the “pisser”, much closer ranging.  McKenna is long and leggy, serious in the field, sweeter at home, and is more athletic.  I’m curious how consistent their differences and similarities stay intact as they mature. 

With two of them, it became a priority to get them “broke” to doorways, the food bowl, and kennels.  Learned quickly McKenna is much softer and you can’t pressure much at all, Willett is going to be a good test as she’s plain stubborn.  

The pack has formed up, Blanton tolerates them well, Mae has become the big sister more than a mother figure but still takes care of them when needed.  It’s a bit more work but having two is a lot of fun.  We’ve just been doing basic house obedience for now, after a trip to Montana I’ll start them on a little yard work and see how they handle it.  I just picked up some Coturnix and will be running them and letting them work on quail as well.  

B4F5BBEA-9F6F-4A44-80E8-277669142633.jpeg

8FC9B362-EDC5-4486-81DA-7677C2ACD4CF.jpeg

8A80BB61-E65D-4477-A5A5-06F98926C749.jpeg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chilly460

• Mike Connally

• Chukarman

• kgb

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The selections have been sorted out and I'll be picking up a female setter pup this weekend.  Flying into Dallas, picking her up Saturday, and ripping back to Richmond with some BBQ stops along the wa

Well I found a coupon so figured I’d pick up another one…

Pups continue to grow and learn, they’ve become a bit more sturdy and have no problem going on nature walks, just hit three months old. It’s been interesting observing their differences in personality

Posted Images

Rthawker

Looking good! There wont be a woodcock left in va this season!

chilly460

That's right, we're going scorched earth on them this year!!

5 hours ago, chilly460 said:

Pups continue to grow and learn, they’ve become a bit more sturdy and have no problem going on nature walks, just hit three months old. It’s been interesting observing their differences in personality and physical traits.  Willett (white mask) is still smaller and stouter built, not as serious, still the “pisser”, much closer ranging.  McKenna is long and leggy, serious in the field, sweeter at home, and is more athletic.  I’m curious how consistent their differences and similarities stay intact as they mature. 

With two of them, it became a priority to get them “broke” to doorways, the food bowl, and kennels.  Learned quickly McKenna is much softer and you can’t pressure much at all, Willett is going to be a good test as she’s plain stubborn.  

The pack has formed up, Blanton tolerates them well, Mae has become the big sister more than a mother figure but still takes care of them when needed.  It’s a bit more work but having two is a lot of fun.  We’ve just been doing basic house obedience for now, after a trip to Montana I’ll start them on a little yard work and see how they handle it.  I just picked up some Coturnix and will be running them and letting them work on quail as well.  

B4F5BBEA-9F6F-4A44-80E8-277669142633.jpeg

Best of luck with them! 

Crow and Gin turned 4 last month, personalities have stayed steady through the time with Crow rarely admitting guilt and Gin always running for the hills if she thinks one of them is in trouble.  She'll pay more attention and usually respond better, Crow can be hard to turn off when he's hunting.  They both spent a month with a trainer, Crow got to the point of reluctantly retrieving via collar work, the trainer figured out very quick that Gin would not take it and needed a softer touch to get her along.  Trainer also told me she'd never been criticized so harshly by a dog before.  Love them both, can't pick a favorite, but do most often hunt them individually as they can be a competitive pair.

I don't' know what you're doing there, trying to harden them on the floor like that.  Like a half effort.

IMG_20171027_204540.thumb.jpg.b88eb26df24887c7996fce4c6d81c7fc.jpg

chilly460

Forgot my phone so missed the puppy point but this pic turned out ok.  Both pups used their noses and located better today.  McKenna had a decent little point, both tracked the birds after flush so they’re doing what they’re supposed to do.  Willett ran away with her bird and chewed it’s head off before we could corner her, and that’s how she rolls

739E7B3D-8ABF-4DF8-B9AD-DBA18408D1C6.jpeg

What a cute pair of puppies, I'm envious of the fun you'll have.

• 1 month later...
chilly460

It's been another month, looking back at where we were.  Ran the pups this morning, both had nice little points and gave plenty of chase to flushed birds, it's nice to see some "birdiness" at this stage.  They're getting a little better every time out learning their noses, still a lot of sniffing around to locate birds once they hit scent, but they're getting a little more confident with each outing.  

In other threads I was asking questions and speaking to all I'd read about breeding/genetics/pedigrees etc.  I researched these pups pretty well, combed over lineage.  In the end, conclusion is there's a fair bit of "randomness" in any litter and I believe that was the consensus with those who chimed in as well.  This is about as scientific as I can get, two full sisters from the same litter.  It's apparent they're going to be quite different in conformation, range, athleticism, and temperament.  

Willett, the half mask, is shorter/thicker built and is quite sturdy.  She's not as athletic or fast, and ranges much shorter than her sister.  She's spunkier in the house, more "outgoing" and a lot of fun, she will drop the gloves and wrestle any dog any time.   Despite being the more bold personality, she is the more biddable of the two and will retrieve to hand and was fairly easy to work whoa and recall.  

McKenna at this point looks to be fairly leggy, and has already ranged 250yds on puppy walks.  She's more serious in the field and at home in general, but likes to lay next to us on the couch and is generally the "sweet" one.  She's plenty birdy, was just a tad slower to point but seems to be coming on now, and definitely is more stubborn when it comes to whoa and recall training (it's almost if they've switched personalities now).   She's what I think of when I think of a dog out of trial lines, it'll be interesting to see how she develops and whether I like having a bigger running dog.  

Willett points this morning

B549FCD0-E574-45A3-A497-61FF1419A4B4.jpeg

chilly460

This is McKenna, they're a bit over 4mos so still not putting any pressure on them, if they want to point, they point, if not it's no big deal.  I like seeing the chase at this point as well, let them get amped up on birds.  Introducing a starter pistol as well while they chase. 

zhtrainer

Not sure how old your two are (just saw, 4 months old) but I'm guessing they have not hit the "terrible two's" yet. From what I've seen happens between 6 and 9 months and they sorta get wild and crazy. I have a 5 month old Caladen's Da Vinci pup here and he is as biddable and birdy as they come. I except the biddable part to change soon as he gets a bit ornery for a spell.

Your gals look great on point!

chilly460

Yep, I'm bracing for the point when they get independent and stop listening.  To this point I'd say having two puppies has been great as they occupy each other, I haven't had any of the issues with little needle toothed pups gnawing on me.  But, I do expect as they get more energy and start feeding off each other, it could get a little rowdy in the house.   Time will tell.  

Will you be leaving the dogs intact?  We spay/neuter our dogs, have never had a female go through a heat cycle, I wonder if littermates would be on the same schedule when the time rolls around.

Mike Connally

Nice looking pups. You did good. 
Not all pups go through the terrible two’s. My long gone Llew Joy went through the terrible two’s and three’s. But she became one heck of a bird dog. Gunner never hit the terrible two’s but he will quite frequently tell me to go to hell. But he’s usually right. 
I hope to see you in the field someday. 

chilly460
39 minutes ago, kgb said:

Will you be leaving the dogs intact?  We spay/neuter our dogs, have never had a female go through a heat cycle, I wonder if littermates would be on the same schedule when the time rolls around.

I'll be leaving them intact at least until they're two, I'll have to evaluate if we want to breed either of them.  Both of my other dogs are intact, makes for a bit of a headache but manageable.  

chilly460
2 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

Nice looking pups. You did good. 
Not all pups go through the terrible two’s. My long gone Llew Joy went through the terrible two’s and three’s. But she became one heck of a bird dog. Gunner never hit the terrible two’s but he will quite frequently tell me to go to hell. But he’s usually right. 
I hope to see you in the field someday. 

That would sure be nice if they turn out to be little angels :)  I'm heading out West and will miss grouse opener and start of woodcock.  I'll hit you up when I get back, I saw Gunner at Dawn's a long time ago, need to catch up with you guys and go chase birds.