Picking up a setter pup this weekend

Don Steese
3 hours ago, chilly460 said:

This is McKenna, they're a bit over 4mos so still not putting any pressure on them, if they want to point, they point, if not it's no big deal.  I like seeing the chase at this point as well, let them get amped up on birds.  Introducing a starter pistol as well while they chase. 

I like your training philosophy!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chilly460

• Mike Connally

• Chukarman

• kgb

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The selections have been sorted out and I'll be picking up a female setter pup this weekend.  Flying into Dallas, picking her up Saturday, and ripping back to Richmond with some BBQ stops along the wa

Well I found a coupon so figured I’d pick up another one…

Pups continue to grow and learn, they’ve become a bit more sturdy and have no problem going on nature walks, just hit three months old. It’s been interesting observing their differences in personality

Posted Images

Mike Connally
43 minutes ago, chilly460 said:

That would sure be nice if they turn out to be little angels :)  I'm heading out West and will miss grouse opener and start of woodcock.  I'll hit you up when I get back, I saw Gunner at Dawn's a long time ago, need to catch up with you guys and go chase birds. 

Tom and I are heading to Michigan this weekend. Maybe we can touch base in November. 

Mike Connally
5 hours ago, chilly460 said:
Chukarman
7 hours ago, chilly460 said:

I'll be leaving them intact at least until they're two, I'll have to evaluate if we want to breed either of them.  Both of my other dogs are intact, makes for a bit of a headache but manageable.  

I see no point in neutering my dogs. They are no running the neighborhood and will not breed unless I want it done. I have 6 male setters here and no issues.

I like your pups. McKenna seems to be the one that you will find grows into a terrific bird dog. Give them lots of time and birds - they will reward you.

Cooter Brown

Great pack you have there.  It'll be instructive seeing how the two littermates develop, and a great opportunity to learn to read dogs and adapt how you train individuals.

chilly460
18 hours ago, Chukarman said:

I see no point in neutering my dogs. They are no running the neighborhood and will not breed unless I want it done. I have 6 male setters here and no issues.

I like your pups. McKenna seems to be the one that you will find grows into a terrific bird dog. Give them lots of time and birds - they will reward you.

Thanks.  I'm trying to do right by these pups, they get out on birds training birds twice a week now, plus I've started some obedience work at home.  They're going with me to Idaho for a month so they'll get to stretch their legs a bit and maybe if we're very lucky, run into some wild birds.  The more realistic plan is I run them in Idaho and get them more ready, and we get on some woodcock in the late season back home when they'll be 8mos old.  It took awhile but I finally saw the vast difference wild birds makes on dog's development so I'll try my best to get them some this year.  

On 9/2/2021 at 9:32 AM, chilly460 said:

Forgot my phone so missed the puppy point but this pic turned out ok.  Both pups used their noses and located better today.  McKenna had a decent little point, both tracked the birds after flush so they’re doing what they’re supposed to do.  Willett ran away with her bird and chewed it’s head off before we could corner her, and that’s how she rolls

739E7B3D-8ABF-4DF8-B9AD-DBA18408D1C6.jpeg

It's in the genes and the ever-hungry puppy stomach. First outing with my male as a pup, a couple days after his first intro to a quail, he picked up a downed quail, ran up to a hill crest, and before I could get to him, he ate the whole things, feathers, beak and all. 

Heck of a handsome pair of pups (and pack) you've built up over the last couple years!!