Moose

Treerooster

The wife and I were up at the mountain place this past weekend. I was dinking around on some chores outside and looked up to see a nice bull moose not 55 yards away. Then I noticed a smaller bull (a yearling I am sure) with him. 

Got the wife and we sat on out patio watching them. They were there for well over an hour. We even got some wine and a beer and peanuts while we sat and watched. The big bull was closest and came within 40 yards and we could see him stripping leaves off Aspen. He would stop and chew his cud (at least that's what it looked like he was doing) for a while and them go back to browsing. He even took a crap so we got to see the whole digestive process. 🙂

Pretty nice bull for a Shiras. Not the best pic with my phone. The wife got some great shots with her camera.

IMG_20210717_155532359_MP.thumb.jpg.f2679e945b33bba11d47ba0c1218574b.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• idcut

• Brad Eden

• Zoli 16ga.

• Big Al

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The wife and I were up at the mountain place this past weekend. I was dinking around on some chores outside and looked up to see a nice bull moose not 55 yards away. Then I noticed a smaller bull (a y

They can be gamey  if not looked after properly after the shot. They can also be tough but picking the right animal in the right situation can eliminate all of this. Even big bulls shot post-rut can b

They are big, but never as big as when they are lying on the ground in front of you and you have to get it out of the woods whole or in pieces.

Posted Images

That is a decent size shira.

It's really neat to see moose in the wild.  I've had a couple of encounters with them that where not dangerous but could have been. 

Nice looking bull! Cool photo and fun for you I'm sure to watch it browse around.

When I lived in Anchorage, one day about a 60" bull came into the neighbor's yard behind our house. It proceeded to demolish a small decorative tree in their yard and then plopped down underneath what was left of the tree.  I watched it for a while and then went back to what I was doing. Shortly thereafter, I heard the neighbor to my west (she shared part of the rear neighbors property) yelling at the moose to GET OUT and was throwing apples and a head of lettuce at it. She was an older single women, who didn't have much of a throwing arm, so she was about 15 yards from the moose, in order to clear her fence with the fruit and vegetables she was throwing at it. I watched the whole affair unfold and thought to myself, that bull could easily step over the 4' high chain link fence and be all over her before she could get back into her house....what an idiot! The moose didn't move and she finally let up yelling at the moose and went back into her house. They're a cool animal to watch but can be unpredictable!

I was partridge hunting along a shelterbelt in North Dakota last fall when I saw a very large and very dark deer 60 yards ahead. Morphed into a calf moose with the cow another 10 yards further out. I was searching for a substantial tree to climb and urged Chaos to do the same. Fortunately they both ambled away. 

Alaskan Swamp Collie
27 minutes ago, Randy S said:

I was partridge hunting along a shelterbelt in North Dakota last fall when I saw a very large and very dark deer 60 yards ahead. Morphed into a calf moose with the cow another 10 yards further out. I was searching for a substantial tree to climb and urged Chaos to do the same. Fortunately they both ambled away. 

Two years ago I kicked up a decent bull along a slough in ND, dog could care less. We watched it run across the wheat stubble which really made me look at what had I to view as a really strange scene. About 30 yards later the dog kicked up a rooster that I got. 

I can't report on Moose in Georgia because there aren't any.  I'm seeing more and more of them though in southerly Saskatchewan.  Several a trip the last few times up.  A neighbor's son in law, a first nation guy shoots one ever so often. Sadly, I've never been offered a sample.  Guess he's still mad about the land thing?...SelbyLowndes

Cool sighting. Living in Maine it’s not highly unusual to see moose, especially if in northern half. Regardless it never ceases to amaze you. The sheer size, even cows. They are down here in mid Maine but are rare to see. I had a cow hanging out in the yard of my old place. She appeared sick, lethargic, head down. A Bull would come down from the back woods and apparently try and breed her. This was close to the town “village” area with a fair share of houses around. I called the warden and they came over and thought she was tired from being harassed by the Bull and would likely eventually leave. After a couple days she fell down an embankment into a Brook that bordered my yard. She could not get up so was put down by a warden, and a local came with his tractor and lifted her into the wardens truck.  Later I was told she had a stick puncture in her belly that had become infected, thus her sickness.

There are a couple around in N.WI that I've been trying to track down.  I spend a lot of time trying to find it...then the dumb thing will walk through town or show up on bookface.

I'll never forget my first morning of moose hunting in 2016, Maine North Woods. Our first stop our guide brought us up a logging road he scouted, we hunkered down in some brush on a hillside and he made  few calls. About 30 min later I'm whispering something to the guide and my partner taps me on the shoulder and points. A very large cow was working up the hillside about 75 yds. out. First moose I had ever seen. I was amazed at the sheer size and also how dark she looked, almost black. She looked back a few times and then a young bull came out. Within 20 min. she had 3 young bulls following her.

We watched another 20 min as they made their way over the hill but she wanted nothing to do with the young studs.

That night driving back to camp two moose crashed out of the brush across the road, quite a sight in the headlights. Much different feeling than jumping some whitetails here in southern NYS.