Moose

Treerooster

2 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

i stood toe to toe , 10 feet away from a huge bull many years ago in Maine . He charged up a hill and I just happened to be there . We both just starred at each other for a couple minutes . Until you get up close you can't realize how big they are . Awesome animals .

They are big, but never as big as when they are lying on the ground in front of you and you have to get it out of the woods whole or in pieces.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• idcut

• Brad Eden

• Zoli 16ga.

• Big Al

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The wife and I were up at the mountain place this past weekend. I was dinking around on some chores outside and looked up to see a nice bull moose not 55 yards away. Then I noticed a smaller bull (a y

They can be gamey  if not looked after properly after the shot. They can also be tough but picking the right animal in the right situation can eliminate all of this. Even big bulls shot post-rut can b

They are big, but never as big as when they are lying on the ground in front of you and you have to get it out of the woods whole or in pieces.

Posted Images

Nothing gets your blood moving more than when in a tree stand early morning deer hunting and coming up behind you is this sound like a train crashing through the woods . Happened to me and out came a big cow and a small bull . Watched a show for quite a while , the young bull was trying to mount the cow and she wanted no part of him . Hilarious ! 

43 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Nothing gets your blood moving more than when in a tree stand early morning deer hunting and coming up behind you is this sound like a train crashing through the woods . Happened to me and out came a big cow and a small bull . Watched a show for quite a while , the young bull was trying to mount the cow and she wanted no part of him . Hilarious ! 

Who amongst us couldn't sympathize with that young bull.

what size of freezer would you guys think an average moose would fill after being dressed and packaged? 

20 cubic feet? 

Probably easily fits that size after you ship your excess to your favourite (notice the correct spelling here) expat south of the border!

With regards to Caribou.... they should not be shot during the rut and if they are they are not fit for the table. Shot late in the season they are IMO better than any other game meat. But like most big game animals a lot of the taste is a result of how it is handled after the shot including aged properly. 

Alaskan Swamp Collie

Have a friend whose kids refer to beef as "town meat", they only know moose or deer. I too prefer caribou, preferably cows in august, but bulls are pretty good than also. Best caribou was one I shot on a mountain while sheep hunting, a nice bull in velvet it melted in our mouths. Worst caribou was a bull in mid September on the north slope, definitely in rut. Moose is also quite good if before rut, especially small bulls. Last one I got was 62, definitely chewy, wife told me to go back to shooting spikes.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:16 PM, KenDD said:

But caribou is far superior eating IMO

Another vote for caribou as tastier than moose, though I’ve eaten a lot more moose meat. 

Dick Sellers

A couple of pictures of what moose hunting involves after pulling the trigger.  Then the packing out of about 600 lbs  to the river or landing strip. 

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 8:11 PM, SelbyLowndes said:

I can't report on Moose in Georgia because there aren't any.  I'm seeing more and more of them though in southerly Saskatchewan.  Several a trip the last few times up.  A neighbor's son in law, a first nation guy shoots one ever so often. Sadly, I've never been offered a sample.  Guess he's still mad about the land thing?...SelbyLowndes

We'd see them in Assiniboia when hunting, first time was amazing, moose standing in middle of wheat field, very cool.

IMG_0608.JPG

Try and drop em close to a logging road or twitch trail. I know it seems senseless to Westerners but North Easterners like to take them out whole, if possible, and hangem, weighem and stare at em. 😳 

Then eatem.

Natty Bumpo
On 7/19/2021 at 5:15 PM, Big Al said:

That is a decent size shira.

It's really neat to see moose in the wild.  I've had a couple of encounters with them that where not dangerous but could have been. 

I can add a couple of "Sharias" moose stories, one of which was definitely dangerous to us and the other, might have been to another person.

Number One was during an elk hunt in Idaho. The  base camp was was 26 miles by horseback from the trailhead. And then we spiked out from there; my brother and me and our guide. This was taken during the bugle season, but it was hotter than hades and the elk weren't bugling, except sporadically at night. 😬 We were working along a drainage along a creek and stopping along the way for the guide to call. Suddenly, the guide said "Stop, there's a big bull moose up on the hillside watching us and he doesn't like us being here." It turned out the moose were in rut too. :(:(  So we started to move away from him and he started making noises and following us and getting closer to the three of us all the time.  And then suddenly, he came down that hill like a freight train tracking  right for us and bellowing as he came. The guide told us to holler and fire our guns in the air or into the ground and "don't shoot the moose". We did all that and he went by us at too close for comfort range and bellowing all the way. Mr Moose had made his point very clearly and we made tracks out of that drainage el pronto. I am just glad we didn't have to shoot that miserable S.O.B.!!  The guide said later "I was praying we didn't have to kill that MF" And Oddly Enough, they called that drainage "Moose Creek".

Number Two occurred when my son and I were fishing one of the spring creeks along Yellowstone  in Paradise Valley  in MT. We had a veteran guide who made the reservations and even whipped up a dandy shore lunch (including a home baked pie !) . The hatches were VG that day and we had wonderful dry fly fishing. As we were leaving that afternoon, we had to cross a  branch of the main  creek to get out to the highway. There was a a cow moose in that creek and a fisherman who a had put away his fly rod and brought out his camera. We stopped on the bridge and looked as he crept closer and closer to that Serrias cow moose. The guide observed "That right there is a good way to get killed in Yellowstone. That mamma moose probably has a calf hidden nearby and she might decide she needed to eliminate that threat  to her baby. It wouldn't take her long down in that creek bottom. Boys, don't do stupid stuff around Yellowstone wildlife"

I guess the photographer survived. :)

Moose in Anchorage, in the winter, were like whitetails in some of the suburban areas in the lower 48, plenty of them, at the time. The kids were about 4 and 7 yo at the time and were outside playing with neighborhood kids frequently. I told them if they were playing anywhere outside and moose showed up to get back in the house or if at a neighbors playing, go into their house. I drilled into them the possible consequences of not following my instructions and never had any issues.