Which is better?

Jake Stillwell

Which is better, UP Michigan or northern Minnesota for Ruffed Grouse? I am from Western North Carolina (WNC) both are about the same driving distance.

This is a funny question to me. Do you mean which place is prettier to walk in during October?  Or do you mean which one has the best roads?  Which offers the best hotels or restaurants for after the hunt?  Which has the lower chance of your dogs getting porcupined?  Where are people the nicest?  Where are you most easily able to get away from all people?  

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

well  You can also shoot spruce grouse in northern Minnesota and not in the U.P. both have more land than you have time to cover .  maybe a North carolina  boy might want to take a spruce and ruff grouse and have them mounted.

5 hours ago, erik meade said:

This is a funny question to me. Do you mean which place is prettier to walk in during October?  Or do you mean which one has the best roads?  Which offers the best hotels or restaurants for after the hunt?  Which has the lower chance of your dogs getting porcupined?  Where are people the nicest?  Where are you most easily able to get away from all people?  

Seriously?  I’m sure he is asking where he’d be likely to find more grouse.

14 hours ago, NEWYORKHILLBILLY said:

well  You can also shoot spruce grouse in northern Minnesota and not in the U.P. both have more land than you have time to cover .  maybe a North carolina  boy might want to take a spruce and ruff grouse and have them mounted.

I'd say go to Wisconsin, but I've heard the Pasties are better in the U.P.

Both have more Grouse than NC. But seriously your not gonna get a lot of traction on help when you ask in your very first post, grouse hunters are a stealthy lot. 

2 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Seriously?  I’m sure he is asking where he’d be likely to find more grouse.

I figure that surely he would not be using his first post to ask where the birds are.  At least not if he was expecting honest answers.  He must be asking about such things as which place is the better place to watch the sunset after a day of hunting,  or maybe which place has the best bars and or churches?  I don't know...

If he was asking where he will find the most grouse... I'd recommend Ohio