Track drive snowblowers

blanked

We got the Honda 1332 ATD last year as a replacement for an ancient (early '90s) Toro 928 (wheels).  Until recently did not want tracks, but newer models use differential braking for turning.  Works well.  2 stage.  Blowers get used every year, but never had an issue with gas kept between seasons.  Now we use non-EtOH gas.  With some methanol (Heet).  

Most any model will allow you to set skids to stay above gravel level.  This Honda also allows you to set the chute any height above ground you need.  As for grades, this thing climbs a short ramp into the back of my F250......drags me with it.  Can't imagine a grade it won't climb or descend.  Haven't tried to climb a tree tho.  Yet.

My dad has bad a Honda track model for a long time now. He loves it, starts easily and works great. Very reliable. He gets it serviced every year at the dealer he bought it from.

I have a Honda tracked snowblower that works great.  No hydraulics or differential, all just straight mechanical tracks.  I’d ask why you think you need tracks.  Is your driveway steep?  Mine is.  If yours is flat, get one with wheels.  A wheeled unit is so much easier to move around the garage and at the end of the driveway when you are pivoting 180 degrees and taking another pass.  Moving this tracked unit around is like carrying a mattress at times.  Unless you want to start it up, you can’t just roll it around the garage or shed.  The tracks don’t roll.  It’s a fight.  But once it’s running, it’s unstoppable.  I also run it up a short ramp and into the back of a pickup to do my parents driveway.

Samuel Hoggson

Differential braking on the new Hondas is a game changer.  Otherwise had no intention of buying one.  Our place is loaded with corners and angles and the 1332 did just fine without my having to yard the thing. 

Track models cut through packed snow, are less apt to climb over it, vs wheel model.  The old Toro had "power shift" that set the wheels farther back to mitigate against climbing over snow.  But it greatly increases manual effort.  Emphasis on "greatly". 

Batteries, yes, one more thing to deal with.  But it also has a pull cord, just like my Honda generator.  So it will start, dead battery or not.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:11 PM, blanked said:

Any recommendations?   Three or 2 stage?  Leaving gas sitting for long periods of time an issue?

steep gravel

thanks

11 hours ago, blanked said:

Steep and flat both

The hondas and husqvarnas are electric start now.   Cant stand that .  Another battery i have to keep a charger on

Frankly if not wicked steep a regular tire snowblower would likely be fine. They are geared pretty low and I climb some inclines to do paths around house.

Make sure what you get can be adjusted for height in the front “blade”. I keep mine about 3/4-1” above my gravel driveway so I don’t spit gravel if a good frozen coating hasn’t happened yet. 

If you use non ethanol gas you can leave it for long periods of time. To be safe I drain gas tank and run dry for summer storage. 

Many “electric start” snowthrowers do not have a battery. You plug a cord into the machine and an outlet and push a start button. These always have a pull start as backup.

Mine is a 3 stage Cub Cadet and all the above applies. I have had it for 7 winters so far and it hasn’t failed me yet. Knock on wood.

Can't say enough good things about the Honda.

2 years ago I bought the largest Honda tracked blower they make and I love it.  That being said our 550' steep driveway is a beast and I also now have a blower on the Kubota......but still use the Honda for the smaller areas and the path out back and the dog area.

The tracks are amazing.......rarely slip and goes well through snow covered lawn/gravel paths etc.

Highlights.......tracks !!!  Easy turn key start.  Metal gas tank.  Honda easily raises and lowers the auger height on the fly for gravel drives like mine....no shear pins for the auger mechanism......electronic shutoff.....and it works, ask me how I know.   Easy joystick adjustment for chute angle and direction.  LED light etc.

For what it is, it is a great machine.

As I mentioned to Blanked in a PM, it isn't an easy machine for small people over long periods.......Nancy is 5' 5" and strong and it is a bit much for her.  She can use it......but it is a workout for her.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:52 AM, Samuel Hoggson said:

We got the Honda 1332 ATD last year as a replacement for an ancient (early '90s) Toro 928 (wheels).  Until recently did not want tracks, but newer models use differential braking for turning.  Works well.  2 stage.  Blowers get used every year, but never had an issue with gas kept between seasons.  Now we use non-EtOH gas.  With some methanol (Heet).  

Most any model will allow you to set skids to stay above gravel level.  This Honda also allows you to set the chute any height above ground you need.  As for grades, this thing climbs a short ramp into the back of my F250......drags me with it.  Can't imagine a grade it won't climb or descend.  Haven't tried to climb a tree tho.  Yet.

I have the same model and agree with all your points......it is a beast......and ready and eager for work when you turn the key.