Tell me about watches to go with the Garmin Alpha 200i TT system

Greg Hartman

Having played with my brand new Garmin Alpha 200i TT system just a bit now, I can see one big downside is having to look the screen on the big handheld all the time.  One of the reasons I hunt in wild places is to get AWAY from looking at screens.  Apparently, quite a few of you use paired watches to get around this problem and mostly just keep the big handheld locked and in a vest pocket.

FWIW, I use and like a rather basic Fitbit watch because it tracks distance covered, heartrate, etc.  I find it helps to keep me exercising.  Do I assume correctly that any watch paired to a Garmin system would have those sorts of functions as well?

Please tell me what you use, how you like it (or not) and what your ideal choice would be.

Thanks in advance.

9-23-20 - Point!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Hartman

• WPG Gizmo

• OutlawTorn

• grouse28

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just so everyone is clear...the watch functions, app connectivity, fitness functions and GPS functions (including dog tracking) work without cell service - all work over bluetooth or GPS.  

Well, I got the Fenix 6s  - latest tech, but a relatively small watch face as compared to the other Fenix models.  It was a birthday present from Nancy, so the price was right.  🙂   Just sta

Instinct has worked flawlessly for me. Im a mechanical watch freak and this has no attraction for me other than the dog tracking function so can't speak to the other capabilities.  

Posted Images

Kansas Bound

The Fenix line is what I use.  Has so many uses, I love it.

Check it out

I picked up a Fenix 3 and have used it for 3 years. It's worked flawlessly and does way more than I'll ever need - I just used it when running the dog (AppleWatch is my "daily driver"). Right after I bought the Fenix, they came out with the Instinct. I found a deal on a used one of those that was too good to pass up, so now I've got both. I kinda like the instinct better as it's a bit smaller, but I like the charging cradle on the Fenix better.

Once I get off my (_,_) and get around to it I'll probably be putting the Fenix in the classifieds here, since I don't need 2.

molliesmaster

I think the Garmin Instinct is the lowest tier watch that will pair with the Alpha, I could be wrong about that though.   I can say pretty confidently that the Instinct is the most popular watch to pair with it.       The Instinct can track lots of metrics outside of pairing with your alpha, including heart rate, altitude, steps, logging activities such as hiking, running, biking, etc.     I think you will be impressed with all the functions.  I haven't been disappointed with mine. 

grouse28

The pink one is more sensitive. FYI

Jim Vander

Instinct has worked flawlessly for me. Im a mechanical watch freak and this has no attraction for me other than the dog tracking function so can't speak to the other capabilities.  

WPG Gizmo

The Fenix is a fine watch BUT for a lot less money get the Instinct it will do everything that you want mine pairs seamlessly with my Astro 430 when I turn the unit on it pairs with the watch and the dog screen is right there no playing around pushing buttons to get to it.  The Astro goes in the pocket and the watch tells me everything I need to know plus when the dog goes on point it vibrates.

Allen McCallie

I bought the Fenix 5 Sapphire on a steep sale and paired it with my Astro 430 and love it.

I also use it to track my exercise walks (not enough) and occasionally check sunset times and stuff like that. I am very impressed.

That being said, the recommendations for the Instinct are spot on for the limited purpose of dog-tracking.

Allen

Mike Elliott
59 minutes ago, traveller2926 said:

Instinct works for me.

Me too, I got Solar version

WAGinVA

Instinct and I don't need no stinking solar.

gunsrus
3 hours ago, Allen McCallie said:

I bought the Fenix 5 Sapphire on a steep sale and paired it with my Astro 430 and love it.

I also use it to track my exercise walks (not enough) and occasionally check sunset times and stuff like that. I am very impressed.

That being said, the recommendations for the Instinct are spot on for the limited purpose of dog-tracking.

Allen

I got the Fenix 5S also on sale , couldn't resist great price but for dog tracking and that's all I use it for , the Instinct is the ticket .

I have a Fenix 5 and I must admit it is overkill for what I use it for.  The Instinct wasn’t available when I bought mine.  I basically only use it when I’m hunting and for the point mode for my dogs.  It has so many other features that I haven’t spent the time to learn.  If I had it all over to do I would just get the instinct and save my money.

Greg Hartman
On 7/23/2021 at 4:08 PM, grouse28 said:

The pink one is more sensitive. FYI

No doubt.  Perhaps a delicate lavender would be more sensitive.  😵

Greg Hartman

Thanks for the info, everyone.  I like gadgets and want my watch to be able to do fitness-type stuff as well as just working with the Garmin 200i, so I'll probalby look closely at the Fenix offerings.  They do look awfully big and flashy, however.  I'm not a jewelry-type person and don't like flashy stuff.  Might have to put up with that to get the function?