Tell me about watches to go with the Garmin Alpha 200i TT system

grouse28
14 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

No doubt.  Perhaps a delicate lavender would be more sensitive.  😵

I’ll stick with pink

here is a comparison.

considering cost differential I believe the Instinct will serve your needs.

https://thewiredrunner.com/garmin-instinct-vs-fenix/

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Hartman

• WPG Gizmo

• OutlawTorn

• grouse28

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just so everyone is clear...the watch functions, app connectivity, fitness functions and GPS functions (including dog tracking) work without cell service - all work over bluetooth or GPS.  

Well, I got the Fenix 6s  - latest tech, but a relatively small watch face as compared to the other Fenix models.  It was a birthday present from Nancy, so the price was right.  🙂   Just sta

Instinct has worked flawlessly for me. Im a mechanical watch freak and this has no attraction for me other than the dog tracking function so can't speak to the other capabilities.  

Posted Images

DoubleTrouble

Just noticed this thread. I'm jumped in it with a Fenix 3. Works well, but it's a lot of watch physically. I'd most likely go with the Instinct right now.

On a related note, I have had some extraordinary experiences with educated running roosters in switchgrass. Bird worked to the corner of the cover, dog out of sight, but close, keeping track of the dance on my watch on underside of wrist, gun tucked into ready position and cutting off the bird as it circles. 

boltonguy

I bought the instinct solar on sale at Amazon in prime day. I thought I would just use it tor the dog tracking but have found that I use it a lot (daily in fact) for fitness tracking and have been motivated to get more exercise as a result! An unintended bonus! Both watches do so much more than just the dog tracking. Enjoy!

Ridge Runner

Re size, might want to consider the Vivoactive 4S.  Smaller, does tons of fitness tracking stuff.  Works well with the Astros and Alpha 100's.  Can't say for sure about the 200's.  if you go on the garmin app site and contact Eric Kutter he could probably tell you.  He writes free apps for connecting all kinds of garmin watches with garmin dog tracking systems and  has been doing so long before Garmin has.  He shows all the compatible watches for his apps and is a great guy to communicate with.  Probably a thorn in garmin's profits too!

OutlawTorn
20 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Thanks for the info, everyone.  I like gadgets and want my watch to be able to do fitness-type stuff as well as just working with the Garmin 200i, so I'll probalby look closely at the Fenix offerings.  They do look awfully big and flashy, however.  I'm not a jewelry-type person and don't like flashy stuff.  Might have to put up with that to get the function?

I would double check the features on the Instinct - although the Fenix line has more fitness features than the Instinct line, the latter probably has most people covered.

I did go with the Fenix 5 Plus for my own reasons - got the black one with a black strap...I wouldn't say it's big or flashy.  Any of the Fenix watches with "X" in the product name (ex - 6X) is going to be bigger and they seem VERY big.  Similarly, I thought the "S" versions were too small.

Up North

I got the instinct solar about a month ago. I’m impressed with it, and not too large. 14 days between charges is why I went with the solar model, and that is with a lot of gadgets turned on. 

DennisMcFeely
On 7/23/2021 at 4:32 PM, Jim Vander said:

Im a mechanical watch freak and this has no attraction for me other than the dog tracking function 

I am too and running the dog is probably the only time I'll wear the thing once I get one for my new pup.

Typically I'm very reluctant to use technology during hunting/outdoor activities as a main objective is to distance myself from that crap. That said there are exceptions. Alpha is a must have for a variety of reasons but I hated pulling the handheld out to see the setters location in the grouse woods. Got a Fenix 3 a number of years ago and it solved a lot frustration. I started using some of the fitness features lately. I really like it. Not sure what additional features the newer models offer but the F3 does more than I need so don't see upgrading as necessary. You might discover one of the "older" models meet your expectations at a significantly lower price point.

Watch face size is a personal matter. Although I was initially concerned about the larger than normal F3 I can see the darn thing without my reading glasses so the face size concern faded quickly. 

EllieGSP
1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

Thanks for the info, everyone.  I like gadgets and want my watch to be able to do fitness-type stuff as well as just working with the Garmin 200i, so I'll probalby look closely at the Fenix offerings.  They do look awfully big and flashy, however.  I'm not a jewelry-type person and don't like flashy stuff.  Might have to put up with that to get the function?

Check out something like the Fenix 5S, 5S Plus, 6S.  I acquired the 5S right before the instinct came out, and like it because it's slightly smaller in diameter than the other versions.  Only gives up a little battery life due to smaller size, but doesn't look like 'as much of 'a brick on the wrist.  Change watch faces from analog to digital based on use.

capture_07272021_093012.jpg

I have Fenix 5 Saphire.  I got mine as a gift and I would have a hard time dropping that kind of coin myself for a watch, but I see them in the $250 range now.  It has a ton of tech in it.  It's like a fitbit on steroids.  Monitors sleep, heartrate, location, altitude, my routes as I hike and ski etc.  The Garmin Connect app gives loads of information and ties in with other intake apps if you are into tracking that kind of stuff.  I like that I always have a GPS on me if need be.  I don't wear any jewelry and never wore a watch with any regularity before this one.  It is a bit bulky, with my eyes I need all the help I can get while using the maps and GPS etc.  Ultimately it's main purpose for me is to track my dogs.  I hated walking through grouse cover holding my alpha in one hand and gun in the other trying to find the dog.  The watch really changed the game.  No about the only time I use the handheld is to start a new hunting and drop covey markers and other waypoints.

GANGGREEN

Wow.  I'm about as technologically savvy as the average 19th century mountain man, so this is all news to me.   I do have an alpha (or an astro, I can't even remember which) and like Greg, I hunt and run the dogs to get AWAY from technology, not to embrace it.  Like many of the others, I'd never use this aside for running the dog(s) or hunting and don't need many features, but I presume I'd enjoy this a lot more than digging out the big receiver all the time.  Thanks for starting the thread Greg.  And if anyone has recommendations about how to get one (the Instinct or less advanced one would be fine by me) for an extreme discount, I'm all ears.  Not that I'm really cheap when it comes to my sporting endeavors, but I have so many of them and there are simply things I'd rather spend money on than more tech do-dads.

zhtrainer

Is the Instinct reliant on using a cell phone? (No cell phone reception where I live). Are there times you need to connect to Garmin with the cell phone to update the Instinct or to get other info? Can you track more than one dog with the Instinct? Thanks for any info.

WPG Gizmo

My instinct is paired with my phone shows email and text plus who is calling without looking at the phone but it does not rely ony phone for anything.

GANGGREEN

Good to know because I don't have cell coverage in 95% of the spots I hunt either.