Tell me about watches to go with the Garmin Alpha 200i TT system

grouse28
1 hour ago, WPG Gizmo said:

My instinct is paired with my phone shows email and text plus who is calling without looking at the phone but it does not rely ony phone for anything.

1 hour ago, GANGGREEN said:

Good to know because I don't have cell coverage in 95% of the spots I hunt either.

I might be wrong, but the watch links with the phone through Bluetooth, if I am correct you do need cell phone coverage to access text and phone calls. The watch is not an independent link to the cell networks.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Hartman

• WPG Gizmo

• OutlawTorn

• grouse28

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just so everyone is clear...the watch functions, app connectivity, fitness functions and GPS functions (including dog tracking) work without cell service - all work over bluetooth or GPS.  

Well, I got the Fenix 6s  - latest tech, but a relatively small watch face as compared to the other Fenix models.  It was a birthday present from Nancy, so the price was right.  🙂   Just sta

Instinct has worked flawlessly for me. Im a mechanical watch freak and this has no attraction for me other than the dog tracking function so can't speak to the other capabilities.  

Posted Images

Up North
1 minute ago, grouse28 said:

I might be wrong, but the watch links with the phone through Bluetooth, if I am correct you do need cell phone coverage to access text and phone calls. The watch is not an independent link to the cell networks.

You are correct.

WPG Gizmo
1 hour ago, grouse28 said:

Yes it's Bluetooth

OutlawTorn

Just so everyone is clear...the watch functions, app connectivity, fitness functions and GPS functions (including dog tracking) work without cell service - all work over bluetooth or GPS.

To my knowledge, really the only thing it "needs" the phone for is alerts from your phone for phone things (text message notification, incoming call accept or reject, phone notifications).

airmedic1

I bought an Astro 220 when they first came out, upgraded to a 320 and finally a 430.  I never spent much time looking at the screen except when the dog went on point.  I bought a Fenix 5 Sapphire on a steep discount sale around Christmas a few years ago to be my main watch to wear at work.  I paired it with the Astro and love being able to look at my wrist and get an idea which direction and how far out my dogs are.  I wear my watch on my left wrist but suffered a broken ulna 25 years ago and the distal end of the ulna protrudes.  The watch rubbed that spot and soon it was raw so I quit wearing it.  I purchased the Instinct for day to day wear and use the Fenix only when I am hunting because it has a bigger screen that I can see without my glasses.  The Fenix also will allow you to load the other app that I think someone listed here earlier. If you don’t mind a large watch, go with the Fenix, if you like something smaller go with the Instinct.

I've been using a nonheart rate fenix 3 for a number of years. I would only wear it when I was running dogs or hunting do to physical size and weight.  It wasn't comfortable enough for every day wear for me. I recently picked up(Monday) the garmin venu and it hasn't left my wrist except for charging. I have loaded the dog tracker app(Erik Kutter) and it paired and worked well with my alpha in the yard. I'll give it a shot this weekend running dogs in the hills.

I am enjoying crunching all the data it provides. Except it's telling me if I have more than three beers my sleep quality sucks.

Here's a link to all the devices that the dog tracker app can be loaded on.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/2b0019e1-38c9-4b51-9c02-f077cbc9227b

• 2 weeks later...
Greg Hartman

Well, I got the Fenix 6s  - latest tech, but a relatively small watch face as compared to the other Fenix models.  It was a birthday present from Nancy, so the price was right.  🙂

Just starting to learn to use it.  Wow!  Mind-boggling.  So far, I have the actual watch working and the dog tracking via the Garmin 200i system - that's it.  Can't get it to synch with my phone.  Manual is very basic - am getting info off u-Tube and the like.

I'll do a better report after I use it for a while.

airmedic1

Don’t feel bad, I never did get mine completely figured out.  Too much hi-tech for an old troglodyte like me!

EllieGSP
6 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Well, I got the Fenix 6s  - latest tech, but a relatively small watch face as compared to the other Fenix models.  It was a birthday present from Nancy, so the price was right.  🙂

Just starting to learn to use it.  Wow!  Mind-boggling.  So far, I have the actual watch working and the dog tracking via the Garmin 200i system - that's it.  Can't get it to synch with my phone.  Manual is very basic - am getting info off u-Tube and the like.

Greg - Great setup.  Once you get used to it and loading apps, etc., check out the Apps by this gentleman named Eric, https://ekutter.github.io/. for using with the 200i.   It takes the basic Garmin App Dog Tracker and brings it to a new level with functionality.  I've spoke with him a couple of times about adding features in which some he was able to do, great guy and great app programs.   The time delay for the 'on point' alert is on his radar but he says it a limitation of watch memory and some other stuff right now with all the different models the app needs to support. -b

Cooter Brown
3 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

What's next for the Hartman clan, indoor plumbing?

Greg, just remember, you can make it as complicated or as simple as suits you.  I use my instinct for dog tracking and as a watch with the analog face.  I also use the stopwatch and timer functions, and have the compass as one of the functions, and that's about it.  Even the Instinct is amazingly powerful and full of functionality, but those few functions I have set up are very handy.

• 3 weeks later...
SetterTime

Cabelas has the Instinct on sale now. I just ordered one in graphite color for $179, free shipping. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just read thru this thread as I am noodling having a watch to talk to the Alpha 10 for more immediate access to dog info.

It seems the 'Instinct' is plenty and considering a sale or even a refurb unit.

Are there models I should avoid?

We have older fitbits that are cool for fitness and texting but won't talk to the Garmin unit.

On 7/23/2021 at 3:41 PM, WPG Gizmo said:

The Fenix is a fine watch BUT for a lot less money get the Instinct it will do everything that you want mine pairs seamlessly with my Astro 430 when I turn the unit on it pairs with the watch and the dog screen is right there no playing around pushing buttons to get to it.  The Astro goes in the pocket and the watch tells me everything I need to know plus when the dog goes on point it vibrates.

This is what I needed to know--ordering one now.

Factory refurb for $159

John the instinct also functions like a Fitbit in that it tracks steps heart rate sleep patterns and other things.  I wear mine all the time I get about 10 days of 24/7 wear between charge's.  Plus it pairs to your phone so emails phone calls texts all show up on the watch so you can see what's going on with out having to look at the phone.

9 minutes ago, WPG Gizmo said:

John the instinct also functions like a Fitbit in that it tracks steps heart rate sleep patterns and other things.  I wear mine all the time I get about 10 days of 24/7 wear between charge's.  Plus it pairs to your phone so emails phone calls texts all show up on the watch so you can see what's going on with out having to look at the phone.

Thanks, Gary. I appreciate the info.

I like all those functions and am particularly excited to have it paired to the new Alpha 10 for hunting Max in the Grouse woods---he isn't used to it and I'm not with him--the open prairie is a tad different.

Can't wait!

LOL

12 days and counting before departure.