Bear Hunting

nutmeg grouser

The running out of bait issue is a concern of mine. That's why I am going to load the site up on the first day of the season. Not a huge fan of letting people know where I am hunting so I will roll the dice on this. I plan  on going back up 4 or 5 days after my  initial baiting effort to replenish bait and hunt. 

From what I am hearing from a few people is that its hard to establish a new bait site and have bear show up. But that's the lure of it for me.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nutmeg grouser

• Brad Eden

• Dave in Maine

• Mike da Carpenter

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grease is good.  Make sure to get LOTS on the surrounding soil and vegetation that the bears will be walking through (up to about 3 feet in height).   The grease isn’t for eating, it is to b

Not that I have much to add to the discussion but this one thing:  it makes no sense to go to al the time, trouble and expense involved to harvest a bear over bait only to ruin the meat by poor handli

On the surface, that’s a great idea, but once you dig shallow into that idea you realize that loose lips sink ships.  I don’t want anyone knowing where i’m hunting if I can help it.  The dude you hire

Posted Images

Brad Eden

It’s been a great year for berries and general forage. It will be interesting to see if you get some hits. Keep us posted! You are making me jealous. No pressure but I’ll be bear hunting vivaciously through you….The anticipation of waiting to see a black shadow moving towards the bait is thrilling, Emphasis on seeing since they hardly make a sound coming in. You hunting rifle, shotgun, pistol or bow?

nutmeg grouser

I was originally going to go with the bow. Been there and done that on previous hunts. Saw bear just out of bow range so no arrows released. After rethinking this I have decided to go with my muzzle loader. After all the work I am putting into this if I am lucky enough to have a bear come in and the right bear I want to be able to get a shot at him. It would be just my luck , "if I didn't have bad luck I would have any luck at all", to have one come in and be just out of bow range for me.

Here is the quagmire of where my bait and stand will go into. The scat is about 2-2.5 miles away.

That's the plan so far.

Bear Bait Area.jpg

Bear Scat.jpg

Not a bear hunter but you could or if it were me I'd put a camera on the bait that sends pics to your phone. That way you can see what's going on . Secondly, if you decided to pay someone to keep your site up you could see if they were abusing this by hunting while youre gone.  I'm with others though.  I dont like giving out hunting spots and would be leary of someone giving out your local or going and hunting it themselves.

Brad Eden
9 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Not a bear hunter but you could or if it were me I'd put a camera on the bait that sends pics to your phone. That way you can see what's going on .

image.jpeg

I use(d) regular trail cameras when baiting bear. I just took photos and checked SD card when replenishing bait etc. Cell trail cameras would be great but many bear bait sites are in areas with little if no cell coverage at least in northern Maine areas. Bears are notorious for ripping down, chewing up and destroying trail cams. Even putting them up high doesn’t always help since they can easily climb trees. They apparently like the hand salt or sugar from hands handling donuts then handling the camera. I ended up getting some metal bear boxes that contain the camera and can be securely attached to the tree. (Cudeback cameras)

2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

image.jpeg

I use(d) regular trail cameras when baiting bear. I just took photos and checked SD card when replenishing bait etc. Cell trail cameras would be great but many bear bait sites are in areas with little if no cell coverage at least in northern Maine areas. Bears are notorious for ripping down, chewing up and destroying trail cams. Even putting them up high doesn’t always help since they can easily climb trees. They apparently like the hand salt or sugar from hands handling donuts then handling the camera. I ended up getting some metal bear boxes that contain the camera and can be securely attached to the tree. (Cudeback cameras)

didnt think about the reception problem.  I guess somethings spoil us where we can get cell service in most areas where I live.    Checking cards is not bad but if you have to drive several hrs to get to it, may make things a little difficult.

Brad Eden
37 minutes ago, mccuha said:

didnt think about the reception problem.  I guess somethings spoil us where we can get cell service in most areas where I live.    Checking cards is not bad but if you have to drive several hrs to get to it, may make things a little difficult.

I agree. If far away, being able to get trail cam photos by cell on phone makes sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
nutmeg grouser

Barrels at the ready and bait gathered. About 120-130 gallons of the donuts and pastries. Will do a 2nd barrel of some other bait just to give some variety. Anise, vanilla and raspberry scents also ready. The grease and gold rush is mixed and ready as well. Been trying to get up to bait site to get tree stand, cameras and barrels set up and the area cleaned up and prepped for the initial baiting on September 1st but work has been killing me. Have to get up this weekend for a few days to get it done. Will get some photos of the set up and post them next week.

barrel 1 .jpg

Bait 1.jpg

bags of bait.jpg

Looking good...good luck to you! Nice that you'll have plenty of donuts and pastries to eat while your waiting in your stand! 😏

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

If you cant get to the bait daily I would use a bear sucker. you can do a search on them.   basically it a large chunk of hard candy with a chain  it . the bear cant drag it off but its sweet so will lick it for hours. Archerytalk

nutmeg grouser

OK - Got up north the past few days and got my barrels in and stand up. Picture of barrels in from in my stand and the stand photo is from the barrels. One barrel is at 25 yds and the other is 32 yds from the stand. Camera was set up as well. Raspberries are still all over the place. Black berries are not as prominent as the raspberries. I will be back up in exactly 2 weeks to load up the barrels! It seems to be coming together!

Stand.jpg

Bait site.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
nutmeg grouser

Ok - So here is the scoop so far. 

I literally just got home from NH. I couldn't get up there on the 1st to bait my barrels but did get up there yesterday. Stuffed one barrel with the Duncan donut leftovers and the other barrel with a popcorn, animal cracker, Wal mart version of honey nut cheerios and apples. All coated with a cherry cool aid syrup. I added a tub of marshmallow fluff as well. Splashed 2 gallons of fryer grease mixed with Northwoods goldrush around everywhere on the ground and in trees. Dumped maple syrup on and around barrels and logs. Hung in trees 2 anise drenched rags. I got this all done by 2:00 pm yesterday. I changed out chips in my camera and left. The 1st chip has been in for 2 weeks when I set everything up. I had a cow moose and 2 nice bucks on the camera. I was lucky to find this spot that already had game trails on it. 

Anyway, I went back this morning to freshen up baits and to see if anything had hit them. The anticipation was killing me. If they were hit I would have stayed up there but the logs were still in the barrel holes. The fluff was gone but I thought the misty rain yesterday may have washed it off. After hitting the site with a ton more scent and fluff I noticed my camera was on the total opposite side of the tree. I swapped cards again but didn't have a card reader on me. I drove 5 hours home and ran to my computer and well from what I think there are 2 different bear that visited within 24 hours. They were there this morning from 7:30 - 8:11.

I got there at 8:37. I am heading back north Sunday. Does anyone think getting in the stand at 5:30 AM would work?

STC_0038.JPG

STC_0041.JPG

STC_0034.JPG

STC_0033.JPG

STC_0044.JPG

IMG_9031.jpg

UplandHntr

Mornings can work but is tough. Id wait to see if the bear coming in at that time is consistent. It can still be laying around before that. Once you bump it that could be it for that bear. He might move on.

if thats a local bear I think you will get pm pics as well. Glad you have one hooked!!!

Is it a boar?

Brad Eden

I was up north near my camp last Tuesday. Saw three black bear in the back of pick up trucks. Someday I’m gonna commit to baiting up at my camp. 2.25 hr drive makes it tough to do on any consistent basis though. (Camp is rustic, no electricity, no wi fi etc. so any long stay over a week wouldn’t happen) 

nutmeg grouser

Its is addictive. Everything about it. Gathering bait, making bait, scouting, setting up the site, the planning , the anticipation, the trail cams, the anticipation. Gee - have not even sat in my stand yet!