Anyone have experience with Electronic Shooters Protection (ESP) digital earplugs?

WiscoBen

ESP makes electronic earplugs that are on the higher end of the market, $900-$2,500 depending on the model (https://www.espamerica.com/shop/). Anyone have experience with these? They are expensive but personally I want to protect my hearing and like the ability to hear around me. I currently have and use Soundgear Instant Fit (https://soundgear.com/collections/instant-fit) which work ok, but I have a hard time hearing others talking when I use them, so I’m thinking about an upgrade. Any feedback from your experiences, or recommendations on other products, would be appreciated. 

• WiscoBen changed the title to Anyone have experience with Electronic Shooters Protection (ESP) digital earplugs?
Snipeaholic

I switched from foam plugs to the ESP Apex at the end of last year and am very pleased. I wear them shooting clays as well as bird hunting. The Apex does not amplify wind noise and I can still hear the snipe flush on a windy day. They are a significant expense and I am extra cautious in keeping up with them. I purchased mine from Granny Sherman at PMS Gunsmithing. She and Mike are nice folks. PMS Gunsmithing

PM me if you have any other questions

I have used ESP hearing protectors for years. There are various models ranging from analog to super duper digital.  I would recommend Granny Sherman too.  She usually goes around the shooting circuit and her calendar is on their website.  You could possible see if ESP could recommend a person in your area.  I personally had problems with a local person doing the initial fitting.

WiscoBen
1 hour ago, RGSIII said:

I have used ESP hearing protectors for years. There are various models ranging from analog to super duper digital.  I would recommend Granny Sherman too.  She usually goes around the shooting circuit and her calendar is on their website.  You could possible see if ESP could recommend a person in your area.  I personally had problems with a local person doing the initial fitting.

Interesting, looks like she’s down south, do you happen to know if she makes it up to the upper Midwest? I’m in Wisconsin and found a dealer that works with ESP but would love to go to someone who specializes in it like Granny Sherman. 

On 7/29/2021 at 3:10 PM, WiscoBen said:

Interesting, looks like she’s down south, do you happen to know if she makes it up to the upper Midwest? I’m in Wisconsin and found a dealer that works with ESP but would love to go to someone who specializes in it like Granny Sherman. 

I would probably give her a call and see if she has plans to go to an event closer to you.  She is very pleasant to talk with.

• 1 month later...
boltonguy

I have a pair of the basic level and love them. Best hunting/shooting related purchase ever. I went to an audiologist to make molds of my ears.