Favorite Streaming Device?

Dogwood

Gonna get me one.  Most popular it seems are Roku, Chromecast Google, Apple TV, Firestick.

Got a favorite and if so why?

Mike da Carpenter

We have a Samsung Smart TV and a couple firesticks on other Tv’s.  The both do the same thing…cut the cable cord and the astronomical costs associated with cable.  We also pay a monthly charge for Hulu (cheap cost) and we now get Netflix for free since we switched over to T Mobile phones from Verizon.

OutlawTorn

Roku. 

I try to avoid giving Google (Chromecast) and Amazon (Firestick) any more information about me than I already have.  

I'm sure Apple TV is fine.  But, even though I have an iPhone, I try to stay away from getting sucked all the way into the Apple ecosystem.

airmedic1

We have both ROKU and Fire stick, like the Fire Stick a little better, but they are newer than the ROKU so maybe ROKU has caught up.  They both work the same way.

I had an early generation fire stick and it constantly buffered.  Roku seems to work far better.  Our TV is smart.  Much smarter than anyone who lives here so we just use Roku.  We cut the cable (actually yard man did) and put up a Channel Master Antenna on a 20' mast and I should pay the  yard man more for cutting the cable.  Gil

Roku. Our Sony TV was horrible both in function and limited streaming options. 

• 3 weeks later...

How happy are you with T mobile, do you know which towers (networks ) they use?

I refuse to pay for satellite and cable isn’t a option here. We have a antennae that gets most of the local channels except NBC.

Anyone aware of a service that will pick up NBC and perhaps nfl football?

I’ve got a cell tower on my property that has Verizon and ATT on it, so other than the data, connection isn’t a problem.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:27 PM, Mike da Carpenter said:

We have a Samsung Smart TV and a couple firesticks on other Tv’s.  The both do the same thing…cut the cable cord and the astronomical costs associated with cable.  We also pay a monthly charge for Hulu (cheap cost) and we now get Netflix for free since we switched over to T Mobile phones from Verizon.

Recoil Rob

Been using a Roku 2 for a few years and very happy, in fact I just picked up a 24" TV for the kitchen and bough a Roku Element so I wouldn't have to learn a different interface.

Having said that, I tried upgrading to a Roku Stick+ and found it made many shows on Amazon Prime have a "jerky" motion.

Mike da Carpenter
3 hours ago, Quig said:

How happy are you with T mobile, do you know which towers (networks ) they use?

I honestly don’t think we could be happier.  They give a very substantial military discount and the only place I have not gotten coverage is from the Mackinaw Bridge to The Soo.  

From my understanding, T-Mobile uses their towers, Sprint towers and if I’m not mistaken…AT&T towers for roaming.  Even picked up Canadian towers when we were in the Soo last weekend.  No charge for foreign tower usage in Mexico or Canada either.  

They have a pretty solid business plan that benefits not only them, but us too.

Brad Eden

We have Roku on one TV and Apple TV on another. We had a Roku on both but the kids gave us Apple TV for Christmas. Both work fine even with very slow backwoods broadband (DSL phone line at 7mbps…I’m not kidding. My daughter has 80mpbs)… we get occasional buffering but rarely enough to give up on what we are watching. I will say that Apple TV is overrated when compared to the simpler Roku.

grouse28

Streaming device, thought you were speaking about water pumps.

I prefer the old style Pitcher Pump or a Hydraulic Ram.