Annual Dove Hunters Sound Off

Bird Buster

Well still just over a month away for opener here in GA. But starting to get excited about. This is always my kick off  for upcoming bird season. Who else is thinking and preparing for? The dove numbers look promising this year. Will be shooting a public field for opener . Just hope everyone has a safe and fun experience. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mister grouse

• Spin

• Desert Wings

• Zkight89

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I moved to Missouri in 2003 not knowing anybody.  Met a contractor we use at work that loves to bird hunt and happens to have a few farms of his own plus knows everybody within 100 mile radius.  He ha

I like to dove hunt, it kicks my season off on Sept 1st. I don't do the social thing tho, just hunt by myself or with one other person. Mostly hunt public land. Most guys give up after the first week,

What is a dove season without some dove poppers to eat.   These I peeled the breast filet off with my thumb (used to filet with a knife, but found all you gotta do is apply some pressure wit

Posted Images

Trying my luck on a private lease again in the south zone here in TX, regular season starts 9/14 but special white wing will 9/5 & 6 and 12 & 13. Public in TX can get crazy.

Brad Eden

No dove hunting in Maine. Do they taste as good as I keep hearing about?

7 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

No dove hunting in Maine. Do they taste as good as I keep hearing about?

Do you like liver? I soak them in ice water over night, that gets rid of the liver flavor. Then put a sliver of japeleno next to the breast bone and wrap them with bacon and grill till the bacons done. Yep!! real tastee 

My fields (I lease them out) are all in peanuts this year, so the newly adjusted season that will have more days in October should help.  And yes, Brad, they are delicious.  In general, IMHO, if you like dark meat over white on a chicken, I'd bet you'd prefer dove over quail. 

quailguy

Yes, IF they are properly prepared.  Some years ago I took a crockpot full of properly done dove breasts into work. About 25 birds and they were all gone within an hour. And I was the only bird hunter there.  

Brad Eden

Interesting. I like ruffed grouse but I also like Woodcock. It’s interesting, and makes perfect sense how ground birds like grouse and quail and wild turkey (don’t particularly fly much) have the delicate white breast meat and tough red meat legs and thighs, while the flying/migrating birds like dove and woodcock and waterfowl have the rich dark breasts and more tender white legs and thighs. I’m guessing I’d like dove. Now all the mourning doves we have here are gonna make my mouth water. 

I'm probably heading south again to hunt doves this year, Southern Idaho that is! It's very spotty here in N ID for doves. If it cools down into the mid to high 30's and lower 40's at night, most head south. 

quailguy
4 minutes ago, spring said:

My fields (I lease them out) are all in peanuts this year, so the newly adjusted season that will have more days in October should help.  And yes, Brad, they are delicious.  In general, IMHO, if you like dark meat over white on a chicken, I'd bet you'd prefer dove over quail. 

Shooting over peanuts, nice!  One year in South Texas I shot a public field of peanuts in October and it was really good.  

molliesmaster

Doves are delicious!   And opening day is always a very exciting time for me.   It's the kick off for everything that I look forward to.  

We do a big family shoot each year out at the farm.  Cook a decent meal and enjoy each others company for a while.  The birds flying around is just a bonus at that point.  The field doesn't look so great this year, we had a really dry June and it set the sunflowers back pretty good.    But I'll be cooking chicken bog anyways and I don't care if I dirty the first barrel, hunting season will be in! 

My best hunt was on a sunflower field, that's when my son stole my Red Label

quailguy

Dove shooting is imho the best way to tune up for bird hunting; it is a pure shooters game, all angles, speeds, etc.  And it is not necessary to walk 25 miles to find the dove field. As a friend sez:” you find doves with a pickup, and you shoot doves with a shotgun”. 

White wings near Castroville

White wings near Castroville, Texas. 100% private so this is not hotspotting.   Tex and I both had our limits after about 45 minutes and afterwards we went searching for the motherlode.  

01Opening-day-dove-2Sep07

15 birds shot that day, some ring necks, but mostly white sings, with a 28 gauge Beretta SP. Temperature was 103 according to my F150 and I wanted out of there so I really bore down.  The good and the bad, we roasted but there were thousands of doves.  

around here sunflower is king as far as dove fields go.  I have a couple fields lined up for opening weekend. Both are sunflower fields. they are usually a good shoot.  I have a field this year and will wait until the second weekend of the season to shoot. Mine is a clearcut that I top sowed millet in.  When I go to check on it as of late it's covered with birds.  My bird hunting friend has thinned his place a little to improve his quail habitat.  He planted all the loading docks with millet and he's telling me his place is covered with doves.  This season is going to hopefully be a good start to dove season.  I'm as well wanting to take a long weekend and go to our quail lease in Sept and shoot doves.  Ive been told they are thick there and stay that way usually until some time in oct.  

Eating dove.  They are fantastic.  I like to filet the breasts out, sandwich the two breast pieces between a piece of jalonea slice stuffed with cream cheese then held all together with a piece of bacon wrapped around it.  Like a small dove sandwich.  To add with that fried dill pickle slices.  All I need for a meal.

The early season shoots are mostly local birds, many of which are not fully mature. The late season shoots get the larger migratory birds that can really humble me, especially on a cold windy day.  Accumulating birds for a shoot late in the season is often more of challenge, or at least a legal one. Always fun though. 

A good dove shoot is usually a great social event with family and friends. The fellows that recently came out with the "Dove-Thirty" logo and products are probably making a killing... 😀

dove 30.jpg

UplandVirginia

I always get overly excited for the dove opener because I feel like I have braved another summer and finally made it to hunting season. Then I go walk into a field and sit in a chair, bake to medium-well, miss until my shoulder is sore, get peppered with falling shot, and leave wondering why I got so excited for it… but if I wasn’t heading west for sharptails during the opener, I’d be out there like always.