Annual Dove Hunters Sound Off

Bird Buster

Well glad some of you guys had some good dove shoots. Not so much for me here in GA. Hunted the opener on public land and did manage 6 birds but on 2nd wknd none. Birds seemed to have practically disappeared. Attached is pic. Of my bored brittany on 2nd hunt. 20210911_071112.thumb.jpg.c1be0ad7967c88d170a767047a67b716.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mister grouse

• Spin

• Desert Wings

• Zkight89

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I moved to Missouri in 2003 not knowing anybody.  Met a contractor we use at work that loves to bird hunt and happens to have a few farms of his own plus knows everybody within 100 mile radius.  He ha

I like to dove hunt, it kicks my season off on Sept 1st. I don't do the social thing tho, just hunt by myself or with one other person. Mostly hunt public land. Most guys give up after the first week,

What is a dove season without some dove poppers to eat.   These I peeled the breast filet off with my thumb (used to filet with a knife, but found all you gotta do is apply some pressure wit

Posted Images

Snipeaholic
10 hours ago, Bird Buster said:

Well glad some of you guys had some good dove shoots. Not so much for me here in GA. Hunted the opener on public land and did manage 6 birds but on 2nd wknd none. Birds seemed to have practically disappeared. Attached is pic. Of my bored brittany on 2nd hunt. 20210911_071112.thumb.jpg.c1be0ad7967c88d170a767047a67b716.jpg

Didn’t want to “like” the pic because of the poor hunt but I sure can relate to how the dog feels on a poor shoot.

Mike Connally

I didn’t hunt doves this year because of pressing family matters. 
This guy had a work-around for his family matters. 

52C43B9F-97F5-43A4-87BB-A94D30E5525B.jpeg

Desert Wings
On 9/14/2021 at 1:08 PM, RobH said:

My Dove season here in the PHX, AZ metro has been trash. Couldn’t find birds in numbers even if I tried.  Shot a total of 15 in the 5 days I was able to hunt.  First year I haven’t limited every time I’ve gone out.  

This was the worst season I can think of in recent years.  I consider myself fortunate to have been able to shoot a couple of limits, but my last two trips I came home with a bird apiece.  

I think probably a few different things contributed to that.  But you never would have known there was an ammo shortage based off the number of hunters in the field.  Spoke with a waitress at a restaurant near some popular dove spots and she said she had never seen such large numbers of dove hunters pass through before.  This included large groups of out of state hunters from TX and NY(!?)

Probably not true, but I now have a convenient narrative to tell myself about where all those empty shells come from that were left behind in the field…

5 hours ago, Desert Wings said:

This was the worst season I can think of in recent years.  I consider myself fortunate to have been able to shoot a couple of limits, but my last two trips I came home with a bird apiece.  

I think probably a few different things contributed to that.  But you never would have known there was an ammo shortage based off the number of hunters in the field.  Spoke with a waitress at a restaurant near some popular dove spots and she said she had never seen such large numbers of dove hunters pass through before.  This included large groups of out of state hunters from TX and NY(!?)

Probably not true, but I now have a convenient narrative to tell myself about where all those empty shells come from that were left behind in the field…

Yeah my seasons have been progressively worse and worse ever since the only dairy I had permission on got turned into a subdivision back in ‘18.  In seriously thinking about heading to Yuma or doing a hotel in Casa Grande for dove season.

This was our last dove hunt. We have shifted gears into teal season hopefully get in another dove hunt or two before we start getting to distracted with grouse/woodcock/pheasant/deer/bunnies.

UAFfPRS.jpg