Annual Dove Hunters Sound Off

Tim Frazier

So the sunflowers I plant are just bird seed that I broad cast and drag after tilling.  This year was odd but since it's really "oil seed" and not really seed for planting, my expectations are still exceeded.  I suppose there is some variation in what the bird seed companies get.

All the "boys" are already getting excited and talking about it.  Should be a good year regardless!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mister grouse

• Spin

• Desert Wings

• Zkight89

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I moved to Missouri in 2003 not knowing anybody.  Met a contractor we use at work that loves to bird hunt and happens to have a few farms of his own plus knows everybody within 100 mile radius.  He ha

I like to dove hunt, it kicks my season off on Sept 1st. I don't do the social thing tho, just hunt by myself or with one other person. Mostly hunt public land. Most guys give up after the first week,

What is a dove season without some dove poppers to eat.   These I peeled the breast filet off with my thumb (used to filet with a knife, but found all you gotta do is apply some pressure wit

Posted Images

3 hours ago, paul frey said:

Can’t shoot them in NY but here there is a petition going around trying to get DEC to open a season 

Wisconsin didn't either not so very long ago. Opening one up got surprising resistance from a lot of people, even in my old club. It seemed that quite a few folks thought that morning doves were the birds of "Love and Peace" according to the bible. I went to the next meeting armed to the teeth with verified biological and historical fact. The morning dove is strictly a New World bird. It did not exist in the Middle East or Europe either. The actual Biblical "Bird of Peace and Love" was the Rock Dove, AKA what we know as the common Pidgeon. Yes folks it's that PIA, common feathered rat that can be a real pest in farm sites and cattle and poultry lots.

Anyway we got our season but unfortunately this far north we don't get the numbers coming through that make really good dove shooting. Down state may well be another story entirely. (But I still managed to dry gulch a half dozen or so on club grounds every year and make a meal for myself)

In Illinois they have designated shooting grounds on planted fields on some State Hunting Grounds .

GeorgeE

I’ll be in Wyoming Bowhunting Lopes, but the 28 will be with me…😎🇺🇸

Mike Connally
5 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

So the sunflowers I plant are just bird seed that I broad cast and drag after tilling.  This year was odd but since it's really "oil seed" and not really seed for planting, my expectations are still exceeded.  I suppose there is some variation in what the bird seed companies get.

All the "boys" are already getting excited and talking about it.  Should be a good year regardless!

So what kind of crop do you get by planting “oil seed”?

mister grouse

I feed black oil sunflowers to the yard birds pretty much year round.  About 17$/ 40-50 pound bag at Rural King or Tractor Supply. FWIW i have perhaps 30 doves a day in the yard at the feeder .  Most of the typical bird feeder bird varieties love the stuff.  

2 hours ago, GeorgeE said:

I’ll be in Wyoming Bowhunting Lopes, but the 28 will be with me…😎🇺🇸

A 28 George, wow, May The Force Be With You!  😊

Tim Frazier
1 hour ago, Mike Connally said:

So what kind of crop do you get by planting “oil seed”?

They are just smaller sunflowers basically. 

GeorgeE
2 hours ago, Spin said:

A 28 George, wow, May The Force Be With You!  😊

Works just fine…😉

On 8/4/2021 at 10:50 AM, quailguy said:

Shooting over peanuts, nice!  One year in South Texas I shot a public field of peanuts in October and it was really good.  

Sort of hard to tell at the moment but there are some peanuts in this pic, which hopefully will be the site of a fun afternoon ahead.

Long field peanuts.jpg

mister grouse

Black oil sunflower field along a river, photo from a few weeks ago. A month before harvest.  As good a dove field as I have ever seen. Some years  this field can be hunted a handful of  times in September and then again in December. 

221646E9-C4EE-4521-A40E-303265711F32.jpeg

Bird Buster

Mister Grouse that sure is a nice stand of sunflowers for sure. Birds should pour in. 

Huntschool

I enjoy dove season and may enjoy it more this year as my ability to walk very much has become limited.

I have been looking for private leases in and around Southernmost Illinois but have not found much.  I could easily hunt KY, TN, Southeast MO and even IN or AR but there is just not much info on the web for Dove "Shoots"/Leases for this area.

Our State lands with managed dove areas will be over run with shooters on day one and two.  Its a bit scary.  I do have an invite to a shoot I wen on last year in TN that I am really looking forward to but its just a one day thing.

1 hour ago, Huntschool said:

I enjoy dove season and may enjoy it more this year as my ability to walk very much has become limited.

I have been looking for private leases in and around Southernmost Illinois but have not found much.  I could easily hunt KY, TN, Southeast MO and even IN or AR but there is just not much info on the web for Dove "Shoots"/Leases for this area.

Our State lands with managed dove areas will be over run with shooters on day one and two.  Its a bit scary.  I do have an invite to a shoot I wen on last year in TN that I am really looking forward to but its just a one day thing.

I know it’s a long drive but there are places in Texas that has hunts available every day.  You could shoot every day that you are there. Just look up Texas dove hunting or Texas day or season leases. 

DD Huntress

More so than sunflowers, doves love hemp. They seem to be a little fatter and fly a little slower near a hemp patch. 

I quite enjoy a dove shish kebab, medium rare of course, over a bed of garlic butter wild rice. 

Dove jalapeno poppers are delicious.

20181229_215252.jpg