Annual Dove Hunters Sound Off

molliesmaster
32 minutes ago, Zkight89 said:

I never thought about the elevated stand getting them more air. I may consider trying that. 

Also helps them mark falling birds better as they can see up over the brush a little better.  Give one a shot, I use the Momarsh Final Stand. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mister grouse

• Spin

• Desert Wings

• Zkight89

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I moved to Missouri in 2003 not knowing anybody.  Met a contractor we use at work that loves to bird hunt and happens to have a few farms of his own plus knows everybody within 100 mile radius.  He ha

I like to dove hunt, it kicks my season off on Sept 1st. I don't do the social thing tho, just hunt by myself or with one other person. Mostly hunt public land. Most guys give up after the first week,

What is a dove season without some dove poppers to eat.   These I peeled the breast filet off with my thumb (used to filet with a knife, but found all you gotta do is apply some pressure wit

Posted Images

I moved to Missouri in 2003 not knowing anybody.  Met a contractor we use at work that loves to bird hunt and happens to have a few farms of his own plus knows everybody within 100 mile radius.  He has got us on some pretty good dove hunts.  Every September 1st we meet up, last few years my dad has been driving the 100 miles over here to join us as well.  Kids get to skip school.  Even the wife has gone out some.  Buddies son joins.  Or his sons friends.  Old industry contacts he had that are retired make it out for the opener.  Just a good time all around.

Most of us had a limit that morning-

c7wuNJ6.jpg

Skipping school and finding barn cats

ESZuIbf.jpg

Incoming during the BS sessions.

sGCidGU.jpg

The crazy is strong in this one. The dog, Otis, is pretty good though

6LJwlS0.jpg

Milo loves to retrieve.

yI0X6Gq.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
mister grouse

The usual great opening day shoot in TN yesterday.  18  shooters and all shot limits of 15 birds in the sunflower field I pictured in a earlier post.  Great friends and a great field.  The field had been harvested ten days earlier.  The harvest left a few rows of standing stalk with drooping heads attached , intentionally left to provide some cover for shooters..  

There are some world class dove shooters in this field very year.  Some were  limited  with their 15 birds in less than a box  of shells in maybe  - +35 minutes.  Some with less than 20 shells expended . Others  took an hour and a half , and as guys limited in the best locations other folks would fill that spot so all had ample shooting.  I shot the 20 guage solid rib superposed with Cyl and IC factory chokes.  And those cheap Universal Winchester Walmart specials.  When I missed I blamed it on those shells.  I save the good shells  that I have in my inventory for other larger game birds.

It was a very very pleasant 75 degrees with a nice breeze and enough cloud cover to let you shoot birds that typically might have been impossible due to a blinding sun in your face. .

We had 6-7 inches from 36 hours of hard rain from IDA that tapered to an occasional one minute drizzle two hours before we entered the field at three pm.  It was the most comfortable weather any of us could remember for an opening day in our area, as it is normally 90 degrees plus on Sept 1.

My son and middle  grandson were there and that certainly added to my enjoyment.  Some of the shooters drove five hours to attend.  We drove thirty minutes.

The bird cleaning and post  hunt social hour was a s much fun as the shooting.  The 8 year old grandson had a good time showing some of the 75 years old how to work their phones, which provided some good laughs. And he became proficient at the bird cleaning, with more than little coaching from everyone around.  Id say 2/3 of the birds were young of the year.   As we cleaned birds, out of the field, and down by the river we watched maybe 200 birds circle and land and feed in the field,  so the next hunt in a few days should also be a good one.  

Most of the folks in  the field are ones who have been guests in that field  for the 25 years that the host has owned the field.  Some of us have dove hunted openings days together for nearly fifty years , here and in other fields nearby.  Mine was  the only three generation family of attendees this year.  In other years there would be more grandchildren.    But that was because of school schedule conflicts  for the other families.  

I slept well last night.

VizslavsBird

Sat down with gun in hand just before the skies filled.....with rain, not dove.

Chukarman

The opener here was, of course, yesterday. On Sunday I scouted and found the motherlode of white wings... tons of birds in a place I could legally hunt. Tuesday night it rained heavy all night. In the AM it was still raining. I do not go dove hunting... was hoping for a dove shoot, not a duck hunt. I'll check tomorrow, but I expect the doves have flown.

Desert Wings

I’ve been out the past two days.  I tried to make it happen with the 410 yesterday, but I was having to make some long pokes and it didn’t go too well.  So, I unleashed the big 28 bore today and that went much better.  Now I’ve got a mess of birds to clean, but looking forward to smoking some

poppers this weekend. 

Unfortunately I'm stuck in Chicago until Friday...

Flight home is booked and my partners worked our field Monday. Our 1st shoot is scheduled for Monday morning, barbecue lunch and Anniversary dinner afterwards.

You guys are not making my two remaining shifts go by any faster with the reports! 

why, I dont know ( well I kind of understand the logic but dont agree with it) but our season doenst open until noon tomorrow.  Got spots lined up to hunt Sat and Mon. 

Picked the wrong end of the dove field yesterday. Slow enough to grab pictures as we hunted.

dartdove.jpg

SelbyLowndes

GA dove season begins tomorrow on Saturday before Labor Day.  My usual opening weekend got canceled due to covid worries. We cancelled it last year too.  I'm pretty tired of the plague.

I guess it will be just me and the dogs, Stella the Lab and Jake the Cockerpoo tomorrow.  I know a field with no crop in it and darn few doves, but with a mojo teal to attract them, I'll knock down a few for the dogs and my supper.  I did the same thing last year on the opener.

I'm not so sure about those elevated dog seats. My retrievers have always dug a hole next to my seat to get down in the cooler ground.

At any rate, the good time of the year is about to begin, and I wish all here a healthy and successful hunting season...SelbyLowndes

Desert Wings

Met up with a buddy this morning and we put in a nice little hunt.  I’ve been riding or dying with the 28 gauge and today they made me work for it.  I hit my limit but lost one into the brush.  Tried to get that 15th retrieved dove and when it didn’t happen after burning through nearly half a box I took that as a sign that it wasn’t meant to be and called it quits! 

67galaxie

Nope. I was going to shoot a few after the geese flew in but I forgot to get my duck stamp. Maybe next week after Tuesday

Two Barrels

Our season opened today.  We had the best shoot on our field in years.  A lot of the birds were really young.  We may have had a double hatch this year.

59630.jpg

Landed back in OK at noon today and took the gals out for an evening sit on a close by pond we've had decent luck on in the past. No birds this time, however it was very nice to go for an armed stroll with the boys and dogs.... 

mister grouse

In the head scratcher department, a young son of close friend killed a banded dove yesterday in a field that was not 25 miles from where the band information says the banding occurred.  A banded dove recovery  is very very rare in my area, despite the fact that thousands of doves are killed around here every year. 

The USFWS information indicates  the BIRD WAS MORE THAN TEN YEARS OLD.  A dove!!!!  

No idea that a mourning dove would reach that age, particularly in an area that has extensive dove hunting pressure annually in all seasons.  Some might say there was perhaps an error on the band date entry. Bu the edges of the band show extensive wear so I believe it is accurate.  Google says a dove somewhere  lived  29 years ?