Annual Dove Hunters Sound Off

vabirddog

We had as good an opener as I have ever experienced. In a year when most in this area suffered a 2-3 month drought this farm caught showers that really propelled a good local growing season. Almost all limited in the first 1-2 hrs after we took the field. About 25-30 limits I suppose. Then we socialized as we watched the bulk of the birds pour in till sunset. I don't think I have seen but 1 other year to rival the numbers. Only damper for me was realizing a 3” chip had splintered off of my sterlingworth forearm. I combed the grass/ weeds around me but could not locate it. No drops, looseness  or previous cracks just there one shot and missing when reloading. Idk. It had lasted 97 yrs so certainly had seen many days. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mister grouse

• Spin

• Desert Wings

• Zkight89

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I moved to Missouri in 2003 not knowing anybody.  Met a contractor we use at work that loves to bird hunt and happens to have a few farms of his own plus knows everybody within 100 mile radius.  He ha

I like to dove hunt, it kicks my season off on Sept 1st. I don't do the social thing tho, just hunt by myself or with one other person. Mostly hunt public land. Most guys give up after the first week,

What is a dove season without some dove poppers to eat.   These I peeled the breast filet off with my thumb (used to filet with a knife, but found all you gotta do is apply some pressure wit

Posted Images

SelbyLowndes

vabirddog, your Fox will shoot just fine with just the metal part of the fore-end.  I've known guys who take the fore-end wood off their nice Fox shotguns during duck season...SelbyLowndes 

p.s.: a good wood guy can fix your fore-end and blend the repair easily.

I’ve been out a couple times this past week. I posted this video in the video thread but thought it was appropriate here also. A couple of dove shoots has been my hunting season opening for decades. I eat what I kill but can’t rank dove (or woodcock) at the top of my preferences. 

Desert Wings
21 minutes ago, Scar said:

I’ve been out a couple times this past week. I posted this video in the video thread but thought it was appropriate here also. A couple of dove shoots has been my hunting season opening for decades. I eat what I kill but can’t rank dove (or woodcock) at the top of my preferences. 

Nice video.  What gauge is your A400?

On 8/4/2021 at 2:30 PM, Cooter Brown said:

As indicated by Gil and Mr. Bodio here, I find dove breasts to be extremely close to woodcock breasts.  They're even very similar in shape and appearance.  Frankly if cooked the same way and eaten side by side I suspect they'd be near indistinguishable to just about anyone.  I've never understood people who say they like to eat dove but not woodcock.  Both are the same dark purple color; duck breasts are too. Note that the legs of the woodcock are lighter in color than the breast.  There's a difference in flight muscles between migratory birds (woodcock, dove) that fly more than they walk and ground birds that walk more than they fly; birds like grouse, quail, turkeys have lighter breasts and darker legs.

There is also a huge difference in the two species diet.

1 hour ago, Desert Wings said:

Nice video.  What gauge is your A400?

28 GA 28" barrel. 

A few of us headed a few hours south on Friday and had our first dove shoot.  Many shells were spent. Many dove evaded our patterns. It. Was a great time.  Glad I don’t bring the dog too hot too much shooting and missing.  We will be going back next year and I will be bringing my sons if they can get free.

I plucked my limit. Brined em stuffed em with fresh herbs coated em in olive oil dusted em with smoked paprika and grilled em hot and fast  

they were rare and delicious

It's been a pretty good dove season so far, baby girl has been busy.

769qYSR.jpg

VydUyRF.jpg

BovdobJ.jpg

jiI7ANJ.jpg

SelbyLowndes

Opening Day 2021:
My telephone was ominously quiet all week.  No invitations; I guess I've gotten old and the folks who are having dove shoots nowadays must think my retirement from work means I've quit hunting as well.

I've made a point of  hunting on opening day for so long, though I went out to my deer lease alone and put out a robo teal in a clearcut and took a seat on my folding chair under a shade tree, thinking something might fly by.  I could hear what sounded like a good shoot somewhere off in the distance, and hoped those boys were having a safe and productive hunt.

Anyhow as I sat watching my robo spin and I think it must have hypnotized me.  I went to sleep and fell out of my chair into a brier patch.  I remember the fall but I must have gotten knocked out a little when I hit the ground.  I woke one time, and lying flat on my back saw a flock of big black birds down low circling my spinner wing. I decided they were crows attracted to the spinner, but upon reflection they may have been buzzards checking me out.  Probably all just a dream anyhow.  

I was awakened by Stella, the yellow Lab licking the blood off my face.  No big deal about the blood, it's just not a good idea to be on blood thinners and fall into the briers.  The real problem was I couldn't get up.  Luckily I did have my cell phone in my pocket, and called Emily and she sent Trent out to where I told her I was.  He got me up with no problem, and we loaded my stuff back in the car and he followed me home since I was still a little woozy.  

While we were locking the gate back we saw a dove fly over about where I had been.  I bet if I'd have still been there I would have nailed him...SelbyLowndes

p.s.:  If you think I had a poor opening day, just wait until you see Gil Stacy's pictures!

Glad your alright. 
I like hunting alone but it does have its dangers. 
I’m guessing you would have got the dove also!

Unfortunately I’ve been working all weekend combining grain sorghum. Hopefully when we finish there will be a few doves show up. 

Selby.  Be careful out there.  You got a Canada trip to make soon.  Don’t give the wife a reason to not let you go.    I’ll say this on myself.  If I had to go I’d much rather be out doing something God gave me the passion to be doing.  

Overall, it wasn't a great opening weekend in terms of numbers. Think I knocked down six at the public land hunt on the first, and then just picked up ones and twos each subsequent day. The big dove camp was a good time as always. Good friends, a few good dogs, got the kids out. All told I can't complain. 

2NB6yD0l.jpg

Vero's first ever retrieve. 

utQHq69l.jpg

kK986ELl.jpg

I haven't give my youngest a gun yet, but that hasn't kept him from going armed. Lost an arrow here, unfortunately. 

BFEqO7Yl.jpg

hHqek2Kl.jpg

I hunt dove south of my home about 2 hrs. Pass shooting out of the almond Orchards and do very well. Question, The family has 1000 acres of rice adjacent to some almond Orchards about 20 minutes closer to the north. Anyone hunt dove around rice. Its not harvested yet but some part of the acreage is most often left fallow. Have I not been taking advantage of a gold mine and a closer one to boot?