walk213
This morning Echo (5.5 year old lab), went into a 1 minute seizure. We had never witnessed her have a seizure. Following the first seizure, she seemed to have another short one, and she subsequently threw up her breakfast. We are planning to take her to the vet tomorrow, unless she has another one today.

This was unexpected and deeply upsetting for my family and me.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue?

bennelli-banger

Had a dog that had around 25 of them, age 1-7?...vet said deal with it if they were more frequent than monthly...might have been given a drug that first time...prednisone?  could have been another one.   When afield, vet said pour cool water over his head, pet him, talk soothingly...some were several minutes...overstimulation of the brain, I think?   Not an expert, lived through lots of them, maybe dealt with a few a few dogs before him, too...my 10 year old female had symptoms of a seizure last fall?  The fall before?  Cold January day...I carried her back to the truck in some deep snow...

My hunting partner's female Brittany, 9, has had seizures all of her life.  They are infrequent; I was with her twice last year when she had them.  It's transitory, lasting a few minutes.  She gets up wobbly, straightens out, and gets back to business.  Gil

walk213

Thank you for the insight. I will keep the board informed of diagnosis and treatment. 

walk213
Just now, GLS said:

My hunting partner's female Brittany, 9, has had seizures all of her life.  They are infrequent; I was with her twice last year when she had them.  It's transitory, lasting a few minutes.  She gets up wobbly, straightens out, and gets back to business.  Gil

Thank you. We are a bit stunned. Good insights. Appreciate it.

gunsrus

My Weir had them , started around two . Vet put him on meds that controlled them . Not sure why but he passed one morning unexpected at eight . It was heartbreaking watching the seizures . You have my sympathies and good luck . 

walk213
2 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

My Weir had them , started around two . Vet put him on meds that controlled them . Not sure why but he passed one morning unexpected at eight . It was heartbreaking watching the seizures . You have my sympathies and good luck . 

Sorry for your loss. A heartbreaking story. 

Skybuster

My Golden male Zack had epilepsy and once we put him on meds symptoms disappeared. It's scary to witness a seizure in your dog; you feel helpless.

walk213
10 minutes ago, Skybuster said:

My Golden male Zack had epilepsy and once we put him on meds symptoms disappeared. It's scary to witness a seizure in your dog; you feel helpless.

Thank you. We are going to the vet tomorrow. 

My last shorthair had them .Unsettling to watch for sure . You stated a minute which probably may have been as little as thirty seconds unless you had a stop watch going from start to finish. They seem like an eternity especially the first one.  If  needed drugs can help .We used KBR .He led a productive hunting life until cancer took him at 10. There are all types of trigger mechanics. Hopefully it might be the last one .  

VizslavsBird

Your doing great by keeping time about the initial and post activities.  Valuable info for your Dr.  You can't have too much info on time and length of seizure and post ictal. There are many meds to treat this, it may take a while to find the correct one and dosage.

I had a Vizsla that started seizures at about 1 year age.  Every 21 to 25 days, just like clock work.  It was heart breaking waiting about day 19.  He passed from something completely unrelated.

I believe it's valuable to let the breeder know this is happening.  Not saying they did anything wrong, just that they need info so they can make good decisions in their program.

A friend had a young lab that would get seizures if exercising vigorously.  My last lab a seizure twice, both times when I removed stiches from him, which triggered something.

Brad Eden

What does a dog do during a typical seizure? Of course I understand some shake, some fall down etc., etc. It would be good to get some feedback so we can look out for this, whether it’s obvious or subtle.

Ive never had a dog have what I could say was a seizure. Cash (10 year old Springer) had a strange episode last May where he came down the stairs, bouncing off the rails in distress and once downstairs couldn’t remain standing up and was obviously unstable. We held him In a sitting position for a minute ir two and it passed, and he has been fine since. Fully active etc. He wasn’t visibly shaking nor were his eyes twitching, no drooling. We figured he jumped off the bed and down stairs too quick and got some vertigo, just like a human can have. Scary at the time. 

bennelli-banger

Imagine John Belushi impersonating Joe Cocker on an acid trip gone wrong...

I am not saying this is the reason in your case, but you may want to consider what tick prevention you are giving your dog.

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-health-literacy/fact-sheet-pet-owners-and-veterinarians-about-potential-adverse-events-associated-isoxazoline-flea

We stopped using Nexgard after a few seizures with my latest dog. Thankfully we have not seen a seizure in a few years now.