15 minutes ago, Marc said:

I am not saying this is the reason in your case, but you may want to consider what tick prevention you are giving your dog.

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-health-literacy/fact-sheet-pet-owners-and-veterinarians-about-potential-adverse-events-associated-isoxazoline-flea

We stopped using Nexgard after a few seizures with my latest dog. Thankfully we have not seen a seizure in a few years now.

This was the first thing that popped into my head as well. Your vet can obviously give better guidance on this than we can but seizures are a potential side effect of the neurotixins we give our dogs for flea and tick and heartworm prevention. I think all of them from orals to topicals to collars have some level of reported cases. 

There are of course many other possibilities but that one came to mind right away. Best of luck and keep us posted. 

VizslavsBird

My V had Grand Mal seizures.  Would fall over, eyes roll back in head, body, limb, head twitching to shaking violently during seizure.  2 minutes shortest, nearly 5 mintues longest. Lost control of bladder and bowels.  During post ictal phase he became extremely agitated, like he couldn't figure out where he was or what caused the "weirdness." Pace and run, hit walls, try to climb them.  Never mean, just freaked out. Had to be sedated to get out of post ictal, we never found anything "I" could give.  

On 8/8/2021 at 6:34 PM, max2 said:

My last shorthair had them .Unsettling to watch for sure . You stated a minute which probably may have been as little as thirty seconds unless you had a stop watch going from start to finish. They seem like an eternity especially the first one.  If  needed drugs can help .We used KBR .He led a productive hunting life until cancer took him at 10. There are all types of trigger mechanics. Hopefully it might be the last one .  

Thank you for the insights  10 is too young. We pray that it was a lone seizure for Echo.

On 8/9/2021 at 6:56 AM, Speaks said:

This was the first thing that popped into my head as well. Your vet can obviously give better guidance on this than we can but seizures are a potential side effect of the neurotixins we give our dogs for flea and tick and heartworm prevention. I think all of them from orals to topicals to collars have some level of reported cases. 

There are of course many other possibilities but that one came to mind right away. Best of luck and keep us posted. 

Thank you all. Since moving to Colorado, we don't utilize flea and tick medication as the tick issues are insignificant. We are evaluating her diet.  

On 8/9/2021 at 5:51 PM, VizslavsBird said:

My V had Grand Mal seizures.  Would fall over, eyes roll back in head, body, limb, head twitching to shaking violently during seizure.  2 minutes shortest, nearly 5 mintues longest. Lost control of bladder and bowels.  During post ictal phase he became extremely agitated, like he couldn't figure out where he was or what caused the "weirdness." Pace and run, hit walls, try to climb them.  Never mean, just freaked out. Had to be sedated to get out of post ictal, we never found anything "I" could give.  

That is a brutal situation. I am sorry that you and your dog had to experience this issue. 

WyomingArt

Two of our unrelated Labs had  seizures.  One had multiple episodes and was retired , not wanting to chance her having a seizure in tall CRP or deep water.  The other was one and done, had many years of upland and duck hunting. We notified the breeders. 

I hope your vet can offer something to improve the situation. 

Our lab has them, but they are infrequent, maybe once a year. (She is now 12 1/2) Per our vet ,dogs are born with this trait, but they don't rear themselves until about 2 years old- of course all dogs  different. The very first one was she was about 2 or 3, symptoms described as others have. Initially she will start getting close to a family member, wagging her tail, and pacing back and forth. Her body then begins to shake, and stiffen, laying or falling to the floor. The shaking continues , followed by her body locking up, seems to last 2- 5 minutes. Think her longest has been around 7 minutes from start to finish, just once or twice has she lost control of her bowels.  We just try to keep her contained in a small area where she can't thrash around too much to hurt herself. When she comes out of it, excessive panting, like she ran a marathon. No medication for her, due to the infrequent nature. A wet towel or water helps cool her down a bit. Half an hour later is like nothing happened. The first time she had one scared the crap out of all of us, called the vet and rushed her in. By the time we got there she was back to "normal" Sometimes she will exhibit behavior like she is going to have a seizure, but it doesn't happen, excessive drooling, lip licking, etc. We monitor her so she is in a safe place. 

• 1 month later...

First, we want to thank everyone for their advice and stories. My family is appreciative. 

An update. Perhaps a dog has been on this medication. 

Our vet wants Echo to start to take Phenobarbital.

A drug that's used to control seizures. Phenobarbital is also used to relieve anxiety.

Does anyone have any experience with this drug. 

We have not witnessed another big seizure since the first one. 

On 8/9/2021 at 6:33 AM, Brad Eden said:

What does a dog do during a typical seizure? Of course I understand some shake, some fall down etc., etc. It would be good to get some feedback so we can look out for this, whether it’s obvious or subtle.

Ive never had a dog have what I could say was a seizure. Cash (10 year old Springer) had a strange episode last May where he came down the stairs, bouncing off the rails in distress and once downstairs couldn’t remain standing up and was obviously unstable. We held him In a sitting position for a minute ir two and it passed, and he has been fine since. Fully active etc. He wasn’t visibly shaking nor were his eyes twitching, no drooling. We figured he jumped off the bed and down stairs too quick and got some vertigo, just like a human can have. Scary at the time. 

Oh it's obvious  Brad,  you're going to know fairly quickly that something isn't right. The blank stare precedes some trembling which moves into more exaggerated and finally some violent thrashing on the floor. It is unsettling to say the least.  My gsp had a few and the only thing i would do is try and clear the area so that he didn't hurt himself.

A general rule of thumb that has served me well is to not start any anti-seizure medications until either the seizures are more frequent than once monthly, and or clusters of seizures, for example 4-5 over the course of 24 hours, then none for a few months.  So in your case assuming blood tests are normal, and no other symptoms, I'd wait and see.

Phenobarbital in particular, although generally very safe, can have toxic effects on the liver and requires blood monitoring for safety and evaluating effective levels. Thus for a dog that has had only one seizure thus far, treating at this juncture would be overkill. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have setter that started having seizures when still young pup, the seizures always start while hunting couple hrs. In this case it’s a drop in blood sugar so to prevent this issue . I mix some honey in her water was told by dog trainer friend this quickest way to get blood sugar level back up. I learned by observation when these seizures are coming own starts slowing down taking short steps . When happen just try cool her off rehydrate her after a bit it’s over I lease her get her out woods . I am going try this season another antidote a guy who owned & raised Springers years ago, he told me before hunting dog he gave his dogs with these issues a couple chunks of salty ham he said that would prevent these seizures. My opinion think these seizures spazims is something passed down their the bloodlines. My setters grandmother had couple seizures at home over years not while hunting . Took her vet he said these purebred dogs something genetic he give a shot put her own  pedizon be back normal in couple days . I have  seen couple Birddog’s over heat while hunting , mainly  do to lack conditioning and hot weather. These young setter of mine has made good grouse & woodcock dog but like a lot hunting dogs just needs learn pace herself. So maybe this help for any you folks have dogs that have seizures while hunting.